Date: 27-04-24  Time: 21:36 pm

Author Topic: riveting a cam chain  (Read 1292 times)

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
riveting a cam chain
« on: 14 August 2013, 10:28:30 pm »
so i have my new cam chain, and i also have my rivet link. I'm going to replace my old cam chain on tuesday/wednesday. I've been looking at the rivet link and the chain and working out the best way to rivet it. I'm after a bit of advice from someone that has done it already about how best to press the side plate on and also how do i hold the internal two plates while sliding the rivet link through the holes without dropping everything  into the crank casings... stuff it with rag?

Cheers, Dan

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: riveting a cam chain
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2013, 08:02:14 am »
Nice strong magnet to relieve fiddly fingers?
Some say...

garyb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2013, 12:17:10 pm »
I just done mine last week and had a few issues with it, but I got there in the end thanks to some help from folks on here.

This may not be the most efficient or right way to do this, but it worked just fine for me.

Once I had the chain new in and ready to install the rivet link, I held the chain held in place with a clamp (rubber tooth type) as it draped over the edge of the engine.

Then using my hands (note this is a fiddly process and needs the dexterity of a gynacologist) I took both ends of the chain and folded back the open links on each side of the chain to get them out of the way, except the last links, the bottom ones in this case.

I pushed the rivet link through the bottom links but only pushed the rivets through until flush. Then I installed the first link plate and again pushed the link rivets through until flush. Then I pivoted round and into place the next open link on each side of the chain and pushed the rivets through until flush. Repeated this process for the next link until I was ready to put the top link plate in place.

Placed the top link into place and gently squeezed into place with a pliers over each rivet. This will allow the plate to be pressed on but only as far as the rivets come flush to the new plate. In order to get them through far enough to protrude and allow them to be peened over, I placed a small nut on the top plate over the rivet and squeezed with a pliers.

Did this with each rivet one at at time and press down in small increments to allow the plate to go on evenly and not to tight, I kept checking the width as I progressed as compared to existing link on the chain. Take care with the last pinch as you don't want to go to far and get a tight link as I did the first time.

Once I was happy with it, I got ready to peen the rivets. I checked the diameter of the rivet with the vernier, I then held a small lump hammer in one hand (and resting on my knee!) then using a small ball ended hammer and peened over the ends of each rivet.

A couple of small taps at a time works well, don't go too heavy handed, it's easy to over do it. Checked with the vernier again and once happy it was the same as the other rivets on the chain it was job done.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2013, 05:05:04 pm »
I just done mine last week and had a few issues with it, but I got there in the end thanks to some help from folks on here.

This may not be the most efficient or right way to do this, but it worked just fine for me.

Once I had the chain new in and ready to install the rivet link, I held the chain held in place with a clamp (rubber tooth type) as it draped over the edge of the engine.

Then using my hands (note this is a fiddly process and needs the dexterity of a gynacologist) I took both ends of the chain and folded back the open links on each side of the chain to get them out of the way, except the last links, the bottom ones in this case.

I pushed the rivet link through the bottom links but only pushed the rivets through until flush. Then I installed the first link plate and again pushed the link rivets through until flush. Then I pivoted round and into place the next open link on each side of the chain and pushed the rivets through until flush. Repeated this process for the next link until I was ready to put the top link plate in place.

Placed the top link into place and gently squeezed into place with a pliers over each rivet. This will allow the plate to be pressed on but only as far as the rivets come flush to the new plate. In order to get them through far enough to protrude and allow them to be peened over, I placed a small nut on the top plate over the rivet and squeezed with a pliers.

Did this with each rivet one at at time and press down in small increments to allow the plate to go on evenly and not to tight, I kept checking the width as I progressed as compared to existing link on the chain. Take care with the last pinch as you don't want to go to far and get a tight link as I did the first time.

Once I was happy with it, I got ready to peen the rivets. I checked the diameter of the rivet with the vernier, I then held a small lump hammer in one hand (and resting on my knee!) then using a small ball ended hammer and peened over the ends of each rivet.

A couple of small taps at a time works well, don't go too heavy handed, it's easy to over do it. Checked with the vernier again and once happy it was the same as the other rivets on the chain it was job done.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Very helpful reply, thankyou!