Date: 28-04-24  Time: 15:10 pm

Poll

Whats wrong with my 1998 Fzs600 with 30k on the clock? Check out the video below.

Cam chain slack leading to ticking/rattle
5 (83.3%)
valve clearances are out
1 (16.7%)
bearings worn
0 (0%)
buy a new bike
0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: cam chain rattle/ valve clearances / buggered engine  (Read 2617 times)

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
cam chain rattle/ valve clearances / buggered engine
« on: 30 July 2013, 06:29:09 pm »
Whats wrong with my 1998 Fzs600 with 30k on the clock?
I took the cam chain tensioner off the other night and it was fully extended, i don't believe it has had its valve clearances checked either. The tick usually goes away after 15 mins of riding although has got worse recently.

Please check out the youtube video below and vote. Also reply if you have more info for me. Cheers.

1998 Yamaha fzs600 Cam chain, timing chain tick/rattle

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: cam chain rattle/ valve clearances / buggered engine
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2013, 08:04:52 pm »
I believe the valve clearances would make it difficult to start rather than make that noise.
My last fzs600 was at 120,000 miles and never had the valve clearances done!
With the cam chain tensioner being on a pressure ratchet it will automatically extend when you take it out so cannot be relied upon as an indication of how far extended it is in the engine.
When replacing the tensioner did you remove the valve cover and check that the cam chain was tensioned and all the timing marks were in alignment?
Some say...

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2013, 08:21:55 pm »
I believe the valve clearances would make it difficult to start rather than make that noise.
My last fzs600 was at 120,000 miles and never had the valve clearances done!
With the cam chain tensioner being on a pressure ratchet it will automatically extend when you take it out so cannot be relied upon as an indication of how far extended it is in the engine.
When replacing the tensioner did you remove the valve cover and check that the cam chain was tensioned and all the timing marks were in alignment?

i didn't check the tension of the chain or the timing marks after resetting the tensioner. A;so the bike starts on the button with no choke.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2013, 08:43:38 pm »
If you take the centre bolt out of the tensioner first it will stay in the same place. If you leave the centre bolt in the spring will push the tensioner all the way out. I'd check the valve clearances next if I was you but if the tensioner is at the max then the chain is worn.

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2013, 08:46:01 pm »
If you take the centre bolt out of the tensioner first it will stay in the same place. If you leave the centre bolt in the spring will push the tensioner all the way out. I'd check the valve clearances next if I was you but if the tensioner is at the max then the chain is worn.

yeah i took the centre bolt out first and when it was out it was at the end.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2013, 08:52:55 pm »
That sound like a worn chain, checking the cam timing would have proved it because the timing marks would not line up .