Date: 27-04-24  Time: 07:25 am

Author Topic: Mirror extenders any good?  (Read 4841 times)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Mirror extenders any good?
« on: 25 January 2015, 03:02:49 pm »
Hi all, Been looking at these mirror extenders available.
http://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/mirror-extensions-sw-motech-yamaha-fzs-1000-fazer-01-05
Anyone got them? are they any good?

Price is a tad steep for a couple of bits of metal and I guess some longer bolts?! are they worth it or any other cheaper options available?

want some options as I can mainly see my elbows while on the bike.... I have seen the mod to reverse mirror on the pivot point of the bracket but I would rather keep them standard if I can help it.

cheers,
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror extenders any good?
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2015, 01:10:11 pm »
Wow these must be really unpopular lol. Nobody fitted them or anything like them before?

cheers,
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2015, 02:55:00 pm »
Foccin ell fuzzbon £43 for those ffs :(

Thats as bad as £60 for jack up plates im looking at.

Dont know about them but at a quick glance id probably want a longer extension for that money.....they look a bit small really dont they although i suppose they'd look daft being too long.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Rexr

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2015, 03:27:23 pm »
I asked the same question a couple weeks back......took a wee while to get a answer but basically they are to expensive and don't really cure the problem......although I did read somewhere that someone had blind spot mirrors and were a huge improvement so I went down this route and they do help big time......and got a pair of Summit blind spot mirrors for £3.79 free postage (don't buy these from Halfords £7.99 each....ffs)
Rexr.

Keep it simple......stupid..!!!

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2015, 03:43:48 pm »
I asked the same question a couple weeks back......took a wee while to get a answer but basically they are to expensive and don't really cure the problem......although I did read somewhere that someone had blind spot mirrors and were a huge improvement so I went down this route and they do help big time......and got a pair of Summit blind spot mirrors for £3.79 free postage (don't buy these from Halfords £7.99 each....ffs)

Do have the blind spots along with your mirror extensions

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2015, 03:58:19 pm »
Yeah price is a tad steep.. I am just bored of mostly seeing my elbows in my mirrors. If I angle them any wider it is too wide an angle to be of any use.
I have seen the summit style blind spot mirrors, they probably work well but look a bit naff IMHO.. might have to get over that and give them a whirl if they help that much.
Would still be keen to hear of anyone who has fitted spacers of any kind though.

I have found this video, they look similar to the SW Motech ones and that person thinks they work ok.
Mirror extension blocks - Yamaha 2005 FZ1

Lord,
Amen

Rexr

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2015, 04:11:27 pm »
BB no I just have the blind spot mirrors

FB the other thing I read about the extenders is that they wobble and vibrate.....added to which it's a lot of cash for not a lot of improvement there is a thread about reworking the mirrors and involves some DIY skills and u end up with the mirrors being lower and sticking out a wee bit more.......
Rexr.

Rexr

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2015, 04:16:05 pm »
Rexr.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2015, 04:16:46 pm »
Just spotted these ones.
http://www.bernis-webshop.de/spiegelverlaengerung/suche-nach-modell/140/distanzelemente-verkleidungsspiegel-yamaha
Looks like you can adjust their height to suit your needs as well.

unsure if they come as a pair or individually.. my German is not what it once was lol
Lord,
Amen

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2015, 04:18:42 pm »
Google translated the description

Spacers Fairing Mirror - for more "respect" in traffic. Put the mirror laterally or in height, depending on trim geometry about 25 to 40 mm. The spacers are the contour of the fairing and the mirror base adapted and therefore fit in perfectly with the lines of the vehicle a. This model consists on each side of 3 individual elements. Made of sturdy plastic, milled from solid material, black, paintable, easy to assemble, incl. Mounting material, with TÜV approval. Supplied in kit for a pair of mirrors. The picture is similar and shows an application example.
Lord,
Amen

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2015, 01:43:42 pm »
I went for the cheaper option and got some summit blindspot mirrors.. Trying to decide where best to mount them on the mirror. inner edge as that is where I generally see my elbows? or outer edge to give more field of view?

I guess my main issue is that for example if I am on a motorway in the middle lane I can see the left and right lanes.. I cannot however see directly behind me (in my lane). that is mainly what I am trying to achieve.
Lord,
Amen

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2015, 02:07:04 pm »
Get a Reevu crash helmet with built in rear view mirror, I wouldn't be with out mine now. Good well vented and quiet helmet as well

http://www.reevu.com/motorsports/view-the-rv-msx1/

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/reevu-msx1-rear-view-helmet

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2015, 06:30:14 pm »
Interesting.. But as I already had 3 lids (one purchased recently) not sure the mrs would like it much lol.
Having said that going to the MCN show next week.. If there are some for sale I might have a look :)
Lord,
Amen

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2015, 07:48:46 pm »
Fuzzyonestockmirror mod all the way....no going back to elbow views!

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2015, 09:33:39 am »
I decided to go for the mirror extenders in the end.. at the very least I could give my own experiences to anyone else thinking about them.

Do they work? For me yes. I still see a smidge of my elbows but I can see so much more than before. Given me  more confidence when overtaking etc. To give reference I am 6'3" and 16.5 stone. take a 2xl in a richa jacket so I am I would say a good size.

Fitting? Very easy to fit. I had them on in about 15-20 minutes. no issues at all. of course mirrors still fold in and operate as normal.

Worth it? I will say they are not worth the silly price tag. I know all SW motech stuff is expensive but £43 is just silly. They should be closer to £20 max.

Quality? They are a tough plastic machined into shape by the look of it with quality inserts to attach to the bike. I have no doubt saying they will never fall apart.

Hard to say if I would buy again.. They do work well but just wish there were a cheaper version available.
Lord,
Amen