Date: 27-04-24  Time: 08:35 am

Author Topic: odd ticking noise when engine 1st started from cold  (Read 990 times)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
odd ticking noise when engine 1st started from cold
« on: 19 July 2014, 11:19:16 pm »
Hi all,

Have a bit of an odd one. bike has developed an odd ticking noise when starting from cold.

I did a tour of Yorkshire moors back in May, came home and gave the bike a full clean down. Let engine run for 10-15 mins to get it warm and get rid of any sitting water.
When I came to use the bike again about a week later noticed the ticking from cold start. 1st thought was cam chain tensioner. put my ear to it and noise does not seem to be emanating from there..
As was overdue I did oil change last week with yamalube and genuine filter. Still ticking noise present.

If anything sounds as though coming further back nearer the gearbox!? But all gears go up and down perfectly and clutch also works perfectly. (clutch in or out does not affect noise)

Exup was removed, cleaned and greased with copper slip and adjusted before doing my 800 mile tour so fairly sure it isn't that. (will check it over just to be sure)

Once engine is warm sound goes away.. and if I turn off and then restart bike with engine warm still no noise, truly does seem to be a cold start issue.
General running of bike is perfect as always. no hesitation and pulls just as hard as always has.

51 plate with 9.5k on the clock (bought 3 years ago and I have put 4.5k on it)

any suggestions welcomed as always.
thanks, Rob
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: odd ticking noise when engine 1st started from cold
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2014, 05:43:09 am »
Check the EXUP, as you suggested, and while you're there, look at the weld on the bracket holding the EXUP housing to the frame.  They crack sometimes and vibes when cold might be causing your noise.

Happy hunting!

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: odd ticking noise when engine 1st started from cold
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2014, 12:58:55 pm »
Exup as expected.. moves freely and cables properly adjusted.
Went out for a blast today and it started perfectly, ran perfectly. Also no ticking noise this time?! Possibly could have been a stone stuck in the engine somewhere or between collector box and engine?

Will wait for it to cool down and start it up again later. All a bit odd.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen