wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Boots!
« on: 23 April 2014, 08:32:57 am »
Hi guys,

I'm after some new boots -- preferably something cool for the summer. Would like water resistant as well if poss. Need to order from Amazon to use some vouchers up. Has anyone got any suggestions? Has anyone tried these boots? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Richa-Slick-boot-black-43/dp/B00C3FO63M/ref=sr_1_120?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398177932&sr=1-120&keywords=motorcycle+boots

Super_Monkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Harley Chop built by me
    • View Profile
Re: Boots!
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2014, 05:50:25 pm »
man they're one fugly boot!!!

get these..extra pennies but well worth it IMHO  8)

Alpinestars Fastback Waterproof Riding Shoes Video Review from SportbikeTrackGear.com
I like bikes....ALOT!!

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2014, 06:15:59 pm »
I'm wearing a pair a lot like this personally. Leather = pretty waterproof, just smother it in dubbin...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brown-Leather-Biker-Cowboy-Boots/dp/B002AT7ZRK/ref=sr_1_31?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1398273300&sr=1-31&keywords=biker+boots

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2014, 08:39:20 pm »
I got a pair of them for the summer nice fitting, but also got sidi, for colder weather.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2014, 12:11:34 pm »
man they're one fugly boot!!!

get these..extra pennies but well worth it IMHO  8)

Alpinestars Fastback Waterproof Riding Shoes Video Review from SportbikeTrackGear.com

lol Yes, they're not pretty. I'd love some Aplines but I'm trying to keep the price down to around £60. Those Fastbacks do look nice though...

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2014, 12:14:52 pm »

I looked at these but thought they would get a bit hot in summer. Also the toe looks pretty thick for getting under the gear shifter.

What about these instead? Similar style but shorter and thinner toe: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorbike-Motorcycle-Trendy-Boots-Touring/dp/B004TZAIVS/ref=sr_1_24?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398337618&sr=1-24&keywords=motorcycle+boots

I'm wearing a pair a lot like this personally. Leather = pretty waterproof, just smother it in dubbin...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brown-Leather-Biker-Cowboy-Boots/dp/B002AT7ZRK/ref=sr_1_31?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1398273300&sr=1-31&keywords=biker+boots

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2014, 12:16:09 pm »
I got a pair of them for the summer nice fitting, but also got sidi, for colder weather.

Sorry, which ones did you get?

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2014, 12:16:53 pm »

I looked at these but thought they would get a bit hot in summer. Also the toe looks pretty thick for getting under the gear shifter.

What about these instead? Similar style but shorter and thinner toe: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorbike-Motorcycle-Trendy-Boots-Touring/dp/B004TZAIVS/ref=sr_1_24?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398337618&sr=1-24&keywords=motorcycle+boots

Do you not want full length boots with decent ankle protection? lets face it, England never gets that hot!

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2014, 12:24:54 pm »

Do you not want full length boots with decent ankle protection? lets face it, England never gets that hot!

Point taken. But last summer made my feet sweat buckets in my current boots. Also, the toe still looks pretty thick for squeezing under the shifter.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2014, 12:29:09 pm »

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2014, 05:48:04 pm »

I don't have those exact ones, I just have a pair of similar boots. I picked them up in Mexico, brought them home and thought 'what the hell am I going to do with these now?' and so I wear them on the bike almost daily! Mine fit under the shifter easier than my Alpinestars SMX4's, but are slightly trickier to shift in because they're actually 'thinner' top to bottom.

Essentially, they were a 'well, I have them, might as well wear them' thing, and I'm pretty happy. They're scuffed and worn and are comfy now they're broken in.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2014, 06:20:49 pm »
These boots have been lasting me well,

http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/1282-sidi-black-rain-evo-motorcycle-boots.html?gclid=CIXjtNqS_L0CFTMetAodrE8AOQ

waterproof, good protection, all day comfortable and not too hot.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Super_Monkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2014, 06:58:58 pm »
I took the plunge and bought the Alpinestars off of Egay yesterday, brand new and delivered for £84!!! Can't wait to get them and test them out  :D :D :D :D :D
I like bikes....ALOT!!

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2014, 01:02:32 pm »
I took the plunge and bought the Alpinestars off of Egay yesterday, brand new and delivered for £84!!! Can't wait to get them and test them out  :D :D :D :D :D

I'm thinking that I need to up my budget a little and like the look of these boots. Have you received them yet?

fazed

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2014, 02:33:15 pm »
I have a pair of bike boots size 8 that I got from Aldi some years ago and they have done very well trips to France & Scotland as well as round town rides and short trips and absolutely waterproof too - worth considering and a good price and less than 40 pounds when I bought them.  Worth keeping an eye on Aldi as they do bike gear several times a year and in my experience good value and quality.
This is as young as you're ever going to be!

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2014, 03:25:58 pm »
I have a pair of bike boots size 8 that I got from Aldi some years ago and they have done very well trips to France & Scotland as well as round town rides and short trips and absolutely waterproof too - worth considering and a good price and less than 40 pounds when I bought them.  Worth keeping an eye on Aldi as they do bike gear several times a year and in my experience good value and quality.

I saw some bike gear including boots in Aldi about 1 or 2 months ago. Was tempted but wasn't sure how good they would be for the price. Have they got good protection in them?

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 April 2014, 04:35:47 pm »
I bought the boots for my daily commute, they're fine. A little extra protection around the ankle and toes nothing major - they were €40 over here not sure how much £ but for commuting they are doing me fine. They're sold as touring boots so they're pretty tall. Haven't been in torrential rain yet but has held up in heavy showers.

Super_Monkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 April 2014, 05:14:28 pm »

I'm thinking that I need to up my budget a little and like the look of these boots. Have you received them yet?

from one monkey to another, yup they turned up yesterday..absolutely awesome, super comfortable and very lightweight, feel good on and fantastic support around the ankle area, easy to walk in also.  They usually retail at £134.00 but the shop on egay has £50 off...I'd seriously get a pair before they go  :D
I like bikes....ALOT!!

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2014, 01:11:49 pm »

from one monkey to another, yup they turned up yesterday..absolutely awesome, super comfortable and very lightweight, feel good on and fantastic support around the ankle area, easy to walk in also.  They usually retail at £134.00 but the shop on egay has £50 off...I'd seriously get a pair before they go  :D

Hi Super_Monkey,

I still haven't got my boots. Was wondering how yours are doing now you've had them a few weeks. Are they comfortable for wearing all day and walking around town in summer?

Thanks in advance.

Super_Monkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2014, 08:01:09 pm »
absolutely, fit great, great grip on the pegs, and awesome when walking around, no pain in the ankle area etc, yes they feel a little stiff due to the protection but not to the point that you have to break them in - really just a case of lob em on, jump on the bike ride get off walk around etc etc and get home with no pain  :)
I like bikes....ALOT!!

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2014, 04:17:57 pm »
I've just ordered a pair of these Alpinestar Web Gore-Tex boots from eBay!

Going from the reviews, they're pretty comfy, long lasting, and waterproof.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2014, 06:30:31 am »
They look really great but I am after something cooler for the summer.

I went into town yesterday on the bike and after about 30 minutes walking around my feet were so damn hot! It lessens the experience of going for a ride somewhere for me. I found myself wishing I'd used the bus (*gasp*) so I could have worn trainers. So I want something cool and hopefully waterproof (as this is England, right...).

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 May 2014, 01:37:55 pm »
If you're still after a set of ankle boots, then to be honest I'd get the alpinestars, they do what you want and will stop you from missing time on the bike for fear of having hot feet (that's definitely the first time I've said that  :lol )

Otherwise, there's a few different types of sports boots out now with a waterrproof liner (they're what I tend to buy as I find them okay for year round use in the UK) - things like the black rains listed above, my current ones are the TCX S-R1 Gore tex.

The only thing you've got to realise is there will be a large trade off if you wear those short type boots and have an accident - they just cannot offer the same kind of protection, particularly ankle protection that the armoured sports boots can. That's one of the reasons I'll only wear long boots - having a dad that almost lost his leg through having a woman hit him in a side, and a friend that was wearing proper boots and had a similar accident at very low speed, yet is still having mobility issues 4 years on means I'm not risking my ankles!

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 June 2014, 09:08:56 am »
Ok, in case anyone is interested, I just ordered the Alpinestars waterproof fastback boots from fleabay for £85. It meant I couldn't use my Amazon voucher :( but I can put that towards birthday presents that are coming :).

These boots get rave reviews and recommendations here as well, so I'm looking forward to trying them. Will let you know what they're like.

J_Dub

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 June 2014, 04:05:40 pm »

Are these cool enough?

Bata - Motorsandal