Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:49 pm

Author Topic: Side stand causing engine to cut out in neutral  (Read 1353 times)

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Side stand causing engine to cut out in neutral
« on: 29 March 2014, 04:34:15 pm »
Hi, so recently my fazer got stolen and they hot wired it. Luckily i got it back and managed to repair most of the things wrong with it, including reconnecting all the wires to the ignition. Although i am left with one minor problem. If i have the bike in neutral (neutral light on) when i flip down the side stand it cuts the engine out. If i hit the starter switch it will turn over but not fire up. I read somewhere about a relay under the left hand side black panel maybe causing this problem. Any ideas? Also what size are the holes in the front disc, looking at getting a disc lock.

Thanks, Dan.
« Last Edit: 29 March 2014, 04:53:18 pm by Dcock »

reddave101

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Side stand causing engine to cut out in neutral
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2014, 07:55:41 pm »
Easiest thing to do is disconnect the switch from the block connection and see what happens then. If it is the relay switch either replace it for a few quid or just bypass it with a jumper.. As for disc lock don't bother, if they try pinch the bike and don't notice the lock they could roll it and can damage the wheel or forks.. But disc lock sizes are pretty much standard and fit most bikes.. Get a chain and padlock or just stick to steering lock..
It's not a speed limit it's a target

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2014, 09:12:52 pm »
i've been doing a bit of research and think it may be the main relay. Anyone selling one that fits a 1998 fzs 600?

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2014, 04:18:32 pm »
IT IS MAIN RELAY.  same thing on my Fz8. £40 for the bloody relay though.
That's was after I had already replaced blown ECU at cost of £1000 :-0