Date: 05-05-24  Time: 16:32 pm

Author Topic: Filtering  (Read 3895 times)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Filtering
« on: 26 November 2013, 01:47:44 pm »
Previously I only really used my bike (blade) for fair weather jollies however since recently getting the Fazer 1000 I have found even riding in wet/cold is pretty enjoyable.  I have therefore found that I am using it daily for the 90 mile commute to work which involves a long stretch on the M6.

Although I have lots of experience riding bikes I am not really that used to filtering the rush hour traffic so I tend to only filter if traffic is going less than 40 and if its stationary I will only go around 20/25mph between lanes.

On my commute a guy passes me nearly every day and he does this because he seems to "filter" regardless of speed.  For example I was filtering 25 mph through barely moving 2nd/3rd lanes then it set off so at 40mph I went inline in the 3rd lane.  This guy just zipped on between the lanes, must be doing around 60 - 65mph.  He does that until he is out of sight!  I tried to follow him once but just didn't feel secure doing that so dropped back...  If its stationary traffic he does go slower and doesn't look dangerous.

I am comfortable riding at my speed but was wondering if its usual to filter in that way, seems like a recipe for disaster.
Intentionally left blank

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Filtering
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2013, 02:08:49 pm »
You're correct, it's a way to disaster! At that speed, you've no time to react if a car decides to change Lane without looking (or even drifts in Lane and narrows a gap). Go with where you're comfortable, generally by the time traffic is up to 30mph max, I've stopped filtering and slotted in.

UK car drivers just aren't aware enough, for the speeds you describe to be safe. France, on the other hand, especially around Paris, they are much more aware of bikes, are alert for them, and a lot of the French bikers will hurtle down the middle (I don't think you can call it filtering, at these speeds) at 90mph.I followed a few of them, but could only concentrate enough for a few minutes at a time - it's absolutely bonkers :-)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2013, 02:26:04 pm »
I used to high speed filter many Years ago when the was young and stupid, but not any more.
It's pretty daft thing tp do, as richfzs puts it, the British public just ain't used to it.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2013, 02:30:30 pm »
What they say. Stay within your comfort zone. You need time to react to the stupidity of others. I recently had a SMIDSY where a lady (well that's not what I called her)  executed a U turn. Her indicator wend on when I was level with the FRONT door. Couldn't avoid the accident but the fact that I managed to stop by the time she hit me saved any injury.

TBH at this time of year if the traffic is going at 40 I'll mostly just ride in the centre of the lane.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2013, 02:32:49 pm »
I believe the general rule of thumb is to filter at 10 to 15 mph faster than the traffic, slower still in poor conditions.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2013, 03:10:36 pm »
I believe the general rule of thumb is to filter at 10 to 15 mph faster than the traffic, slower still in poor conditions.

That's roughly the rule I'll stick to, it's only if cars are sitting at about 80-85mph that I'll normally stop filtering to be honest!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2013, 03:16:44 pm »
If its going 40 30 20 I dont filter as im also moving ok. if I do filter I go mega slow always looking out for the lane swapper or drifter or the foc'er sees you in their mirror and moves across to block your way. After all if the traffic isnt moving and im doing 10mph im still happy.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

msmudge

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2013, 03:38:13 pm »
On my Honda MAC course I was taught to filter by the ex-copper instructor. He said their was no real rules that apply to it other than all the rules in the Highway Code. He said that the police work by the idea that if filtering is done safely then it's ok. Speed should only be appropriate to allow safe stopping. The main thing that stuck with me is that if he ever saw a bike filtering with the traffic speed was above 20mph he would pull them for driving without due care.

I know that the rules of filtering weren't asked, but I felt this info was needed to clarify how it should be done. So know your Highway Code.

As an example answer this question:

As a motorcyclist is it legal to overtake a car on a solid white line?

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2013, 03:43:54 pm »
If its going 40 30 20 I dont filter as im also moving ok. if I do filter I go mega slow always looking out for the lane swapper or drifter or the foc'er sees you in their mirror and moves across to block your way. After all if the traffic isnt moving and im doing 10mph im still happy.

My thoughts exactly. What's the point if the traffic's already moving at a fair pace? Overtake by all means, but straddling the lines between two other cars at 30? Call me a pussy if you like but I'm not that impatient. After all, once the traffic opens up a bit you can pretty much leave everything else standing anyway.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2013, 03:45:45 pm »

What I was taught about filtering during my course was that it's ok apart from on solid whites and zig zags, and as long as you don't go to the front of the queue.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2013, 03:45:50 pm »
Is it fair to laugh loud enough for those stationary in the 3rd lane with windows down to hear you?

Yesterday after filtering for roughly 10 mins through the near stationary M6 I did let out a chuckle, the unfortunate guy I was passing did have his window down and a cigarette in his fingers.

He heard.  I knew.  He knew I knew. etc
Intentionally left blank

msmudge

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Filtering
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2013, 03:48:21 pm »

What I was taught about filtering during my course was that it's ok apart from on solid whites and zig zags, and as long as you don't go to the front of the queue.

Your right about the zig zags. You can overtake on solid white lines as long as you don't encroach on the line and leave enough space for the vehicle your passing.

This surprised me. But it just shows how knowing the Highway Code well can help when you need it.

I was told don't go to the front of the queue too. But foc that!
« Last Edit: 26 November 2013, 03:57:40 pm by msmudge »

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2013, 05:27:23 pm »
Somecpeople think it's illegal to overtake on zig zags, which it isn't, you can overtake anything up to the vehicle closest to the crossing!
As for filtering do what you're comfortable with,
On those nice sunny days pull up next to the guy stationary in his ferrari/ porsche and ask him what his 0-60 is, then triumphantly yell 'not in this fuckin traffic it ain't' and ride off laughing manically!
Some say...

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2013, 07:04:19 pm »

In London it's best to sit at the front of the queue at lights and crossings, you are much better sighted for idiot pedestrians running accross junctions/crossings after the lights have changed. If you are sitting behind vans/lorries at the front of the queue you won't see much. Plus when the cars in front pull away you have to hang back whilst they jossle for lane space ahead, very often the berk on the inside will try to outdrag the berk on the outside and you know the rest -it compromise your 'progress'. Avoid such shennanigans by smartly accelerating away from the front, besides if you are at the front the cars nearly always wait for you to go first anyway.
 This is what most people do in London and if you commute there you'll do the same after a while, learn filtering by watching the bikers who've obviously been doing it for years, the idiots are easy to spot, ignore them. Be confident but not cocky and it gets less stressfull.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2013, 07:14:02 pm »
Apart from the relative speed, you also need to look at the gaps between the cars. Small gaps, and they are not going to be able to change lanes, whatever the speed. If there's all of a sudden a car's worth of gap on either inside or outside, you can bet some bugger is going to try it!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2013, 07:42:13 pm »
You cannot cross the solid white line --- so you can still overtake so long as the distance betwix you and the car is safe (i spose) but if the trafic is not moving then that "safe" distance is reduced is it not. I did not know that you could pass non moving on the zigzags up to the first car that has not crossed the crossing 

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 November 2013, 08:55:43 pm »
You're correct, it's a way to disaster! At that speed, you've no time to react if a car decides to change Lane without looking (or even drifts in Lane and narrows a gap). Go with where you're comfortable, generally by the time traffic is up to 30mph max, I've stopped filtering and slotted in.

UK car drivers just aren't aware enough, for the speeds you describe to be safe. France, on the other hand, especially around Paris, they are much more aware of bikes, are alert for them, and a lot of the French bikers will hurtle down the middle (I don't think you can call it filtering, at these speeds) at 90mph.I followed a few of them, but could only concentrate enough for a few minutes at a time - it's absolutely bonkers :-)

Interesting that, because filtering is illegal in France!! There are even reports of police cars driving round the Paris Périphérique, slowing traffic down to nab filtering bikers. Les connards.
The Deef's apprentice

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 November 2013, 09:00:33 pm »

In London it's best to sit at the front of the queue at lights and crossings, you are much better sighted for idiot pedestrians running accross junctions/crossings after the lights have changed. If you are sitting behind vans/lorries at the front of the queue you won't see much. Plus when the cars in front pull away you have to hang back whilst they jossle for lane space ahead, very often the berk on the inside will try to outdrag the berk on the outside and you know the rest -it compromise your 'progress'. Avoid such shennanigans by smartly accelerating away from the front, besides if you are at the front the cars nearly always wait for you to go first anyway.
 This is what most people do in London and if you commute there you'll do the same after a while, learn filtering by watching the bikers who've obviously been doing it for years, the idiots are easy to spot, ignore them. Be confident but not cocky and it gets less stressfull.

Which is a classic example of what the law is, and what works in the real world.  :\

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 November 2013, 10:51:24 pm »
Could this perhaps explain as to why the bikes filter so fast haha

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 November 2013, 11:16:38 pm »

On those nice sunny days pull up next to the guy stationary in his ferrari/ porsche and ask him what his 0-60 is, then triumphantly yell 'not in this fuckin traffic it ain't' and ride off laughing manically!

:lol  This i got to do!!!!
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 November 2013, 11:43:53 pm »

Interesting that, because filtering is illegal in France!! There are even reports of police cars driving round the Paris Périphérique, slowing traffic down to nab filtering bikers. Les connards.

Sure, but each time I've been there on the bike (last time about 3 weeks ago) the French car drivers make a point of getting out of your way - Lane 3 will move left in Lane, Lane 2 will move right, leaving a good gap to fly through. Far more aware of bikes, expect you to be making progress, and assist in that!

I guess les connards is the bastards (or similar)?? :-)

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 November 2013, 11:50:31 pm »

Sure, but each time I've been there on the bike (last time about 3 weeks ago) the French car drivers make a point of getting out of your way - Lane 3 will move left in Lane, Lane 2 will move right, leaving a good gap to fly through. Far more aware of bikes, expect you to be making progress, and assist in that!

I guess les connards is the bastards (or similar)?? :-)

The French love bikers, it's so much nicer riding there than here in the UK.

Connards is quite a bit ruder than bastards. But you get the idea...  ;)
The Deef's apprentice

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 November 2013, 11:59:40 pm »
Ohgo on, give us a translation :-)

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 November 2013, 12:12:36 am »
Ohgo on, give us a translation :-)

http://translate.google.com/#fr/en/

Look up "con" or "connard", same thing!  :lol
The Deef's apprentice

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 November 2013, 12:16:08 am »
Lane 3 will move left in Lane, Lane 2 will move right, leaving a good gap to fly through.
Maybe they just know they are gonna get their mirrors smacked and the rider just ride off, so next time they move out the way