Date: 28-04-24  Time: 08:53 am

Author Topic: Rear-ended gently at a roundabout  (Read 2942 times)

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Rear-ended gently at a roundabout
« on: 13 November 2013, 08:45:49 am »
Two days ago I was waiting at a roundabout waiting for an opportunity to enter. It was dark and raining. I had a fluorescent yellow jacket on, lights on, and I believe I was holding the front brake. I see a car approach in my mirror, think nothing of it, then I feel a jolt as the car gently collides with my rear tire moving me about 6-8 inches forward. I park, dismount and politely insist on the driver's number. How the foc the driver didn't see me is beyond me!

The bike looks undamaged, it was only a gentle nudge and the driver was quite apologetic, but it got me wondering if the driver was fixated on my jacket and used that to judge the distance to me rather than the rear of my bike.

Oh well, no harm done, but very annoying. Anyone else had similar? Is there a possibility for hidden damage with such a minor collision?

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Rear-ended gently at a roundabout
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2013, 08:59:59 am »
To be honest fella, if it were me I'd pop round to my mechanic to have the swingarm/rear shock/chain tensioner checked........just to be sure! You've only got 2 wheels after all!
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2013, 09:05:32 am »
Yes, makes sense. Thanks.

Nosobrut

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2013, 09:33:21 am »
Back in the day when London weekend television were going , I picked up a job about 2.30 in the afternoon went down lower ground indicated to turn left to go up to Waterloo bridge always on the mirrors nothing behind slowed down to about 10 mph checked the mirrors again a black motor  appeared in the  mirrors at speed bang . I think they must of hit me at about 40 mph rammed me up onto the pavement that's when things get abit hazey . The bike hit a tree that's where my CX 500 stopped . I must have gone up into the branches because the tree snapped at about head height , this must of slowed me down but I still travelled another 40yards where I slid into a bollard in the middle of the road. The woman who had been driving the car was standing apologising and saying sorry I didn't see you . Then people turned up standing over me asking if I was alright then asking who was driving the car that hit me. Still laying in the road I said there she goes , she had taken off in her BMW estate. The police caught her in Chelsea where she had hit another vehicle . I couldn't get any details about her for 3 months until she was prosecuted by Chelsea . All she got was a fine and two and a half year ban for drink driving. It took me over a year to get any insurance money . The damage was abit more extreme the fairing was one of those big fibreglass one piece jobs it must of exploded when it hit the tree . I did get it back on the road again when I got paid out . Nowadays that would be a right off

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2013, 09:45:41 am »
Was rear ended by a young lady  :eek :eek :eek lol no not that way ooohhh errr missus  :evil :evil thats another story

she was my girlfriend at the time and was following on her bike, at a slip road roundabout i stopped for a harley to go past and she didnt see it as there were bushes obstructing the view.
So like any woman she anticipated me not stopping and wallop 30mph hit back end shunted me forward wrote both our bikes off and damaged my lower back. To top it all the foccin harley rider just kept on going and didnt even stop to see if we were ok

I sued the arse off her replaced both bikes  and then married her lol
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2013, 09:47:06 am »
Back in the day when London weekend television were going , I picked up a job about 2.30 in the afternoon went down lower ground indicated to turn left to go up to Waterloo bridge always on the mirrors nothing behind slowed down to about 10 mph checked the mirrors again a black motor  appeared in the  mirrors at speed bang . I think they must of hit me at about 40 mph rammed me up onto the pavement that's when things get abit hazey . The bike hit a tree that's where my CX 500 stopped . I must have gone up into the branches because the tree snapped at about head height , this must of slowed me down but I still travelled another 40yards where I slid into a bollard in the middle of the road. The woman who had been driving the car was standing apologising and saying sorry I didn't see you . Then people turned up standing over me asking if I was alright then asking who was driving the car that hit me. Still laying in the road I said there she goes , she had taken off in her BMW estate. The police caught her in Chelsea where she had hit another vehicle . I couldn't get any details about her for 3 months until she was prosecuted by Chelsea . All she got was a fine and two and a half year ban for drink driving. It took me over a year to get any insurance money . The damage was abit more extreme the fairing was one of those big fibreglass one piece jobs it must of exploded when it hit the tree . I did get it back on the road again when I got paid out . Nowadays that would be a right off

Ow. That sounds painful. I consider myself incredibly lucky.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2013, 09:47:47 am »
Was rear ended by a young lady  :eek :eek :eek lol no not that way ooohhh errr missus  :evil :evil thats another story

she was my girlfriend at the time and was following on her bike, at a slip road roundabout i stopped for a harley to go past and she didnt see it as there were bushes obstructing the view.
So like any woman she anticipated me not stopping and wallop 30mph hit back end shunted me forward wrote both our bikes off and damaged my lower back. To top it all the foccin harley rider just kept on going and didnt even stop to see if we were ok

Was the last bit serious!!??

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2013, 12:42:12 pm »
might want the rear wheel checking. I had a CBR600 that was rear ended and while the damage to the rear fairing/lights etc, was obvious, I didn't notice that the rear wheel had "jinked" slightly until after going out for a fast ride after the cosmetics were repaired it started behaving very hairily. it will want checking just for your own peace of mind if nothing else, it'll play on your mind.

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2013, 01:46:10 pm »

Was the last bit serious!!??

hell yes lol still married to her
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2013, 07:21:28 pm »
Rear wheel checked for any buckling, wheel bearings, and swingarm/ shock linkage bearings checked!
Some say...

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2013, 08:00:00 pm »
Just started riding in the 80's and on a little YB100. Was at a round about waiting to join it. I had just stood up feet on the ground and bang. Bike shot across into traffic I rolled on the floor in agony where to two rear indicators slapped my hamstrings. Never found out who did it as they  :foc This was in broad daylight around 0800 as I was on my way to work but ended up in A&E.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2013, 11:15:04 pm »
While we're swapping stories, l was stationary at some traffic lights when a car ran into the back of me snapping the plastic bolts that hold the number plate on and flexing the rear mudguard. The driver gave me £5 and after about 50p on bolts and a bit of black boot polish on the mudguard all was well. That was back in 1981 on a suzuki x1:)
Andy