Date: 16-05-24  Time: 03:14 am

Author Topic: S1000RR Shock Mod  (Read 7560 times)

Jinx46

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
S1000RR Shock Mod
« on: 30 July 2012, 09:26:51 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking for sometime about changing the rear shock on my Fazer 1000 and found this :- http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121131.So i read it a few times and thought i would give it a try.

I managed to source one from Ebay and some '99 GSXR dogbones, and today i set about fitting it.
It took about 3 hours in total and was quite easy.
I'm going to set the high and low speed compression damping to halfway.I'll set the rebound damping the same,leave the preload as is, and then take it out for a test ride.(Probably Wednesday as its due to piss down here,Suffolk, tomorrow). :lol

The ride height with the GSXR dogbones is approx 10-12mm above stock which tips the back end up quite nicely and as my forks about 7mm through the top yolk i think i will probably reset them level with the top.

Here(hopefully)are some pics.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: S1000RR Shock Mod
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2012, 10:50:27 pm »
This is interesting, would love to see how it performs.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2012, 07:24:56 am »
oooh dear ....competition for luke !!!    :eek

Andrew1967

• Cager in Training
  • Fazer1000 Gen1 2005 and Squire Sidecar
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yam 500cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2012, 01:41:44 pm »
What are the length of your dog bones?? And what's the total length of the shock (hole centre to hole centre).
It looks very much like the R6 shock with what looks like to be the same adjustments.

I did the R6 mod and was surprised how short the dog bones had to be to get the corrrect ride height, I'm now down to 124mm.
FRCo.UK.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2012, 03:57:56 pm »
you need to read this tread rite through as you will see he had to change springs for cbr ones it's not as strieght forward as r6
i dont mind the comp but i am confident with the r6 against the bmw but it's each to there own
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Jinx46

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2012, 06:45:27 pm »
What are the length of your dog bones?? And what's the total length of the shock (hole centre to hole centre).
It looks very much like the R6 shock with what looks like to be the same adjustments.

I did the R6 mod and was surprised how short the dog bones had to be to get the corrrect ride height, I'm now down to 124mm.
Hi Andrew1967,       The shock length is 315mm approx,and the dogbones are 146mm.Both measured centre to centre.

Jinx46

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2012, 07:10:20 pm »
Hi Devilsyam,

you need to read this tread rite through as you will see he had to change springs for cbr ones it's not as strieght forward as r6
i dont mind the comp but i am confident with the r6 against the bmw but it's each to there own

I will probably have to change the spring,might be a bit bouncy,but for now i have set the preload to 7 threads showing,rebound position 7 of 10,
high-speed compression: position 5 of 10 and low-speed compression: position 8 of 10.
Then i'll test ride it when i've put the fork tubes flush with the top yoke.

I weigh about 200lbs suited up plus i have a rack,top box and side panniers.So if i loaded it up with my camping gear etc the spring will require a change out.

There is no competition. I have no plans to churn these out. :lol Your R6 mod, i think, is really good. It must be by all your satisfied customers :)  but i thought i would try something different.

Jinx46

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2012, 08:21:35 pm »
Took it for a ride today and its bloody brilliant.It handles a whole lot better. :)
I backed the compression ring off to 6 threads showing, and left the other settings as is.
It doesn't squat as much as the original shock on accecleration and the ride quality when ridden down my favourite bumpy road is like riding a different bike :woot

For now i'll leave the spring on and ride it more to see how it goes,but for less than £120, no more bouncy Fazer thou. :)

t140

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - T140W
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2012, 12:52:47 pm »
fitted one of these on wed. night, about 2 1/2 hours including the drilling, used a set of lowering dog bones ( 20mm ) which raised the ride height by about 5mm, preload is about 6 threads showing and all other settings at midway haven't had a chance to ride it yet but should be interesting.
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start