Date: 26-04-24  Time: 13:48 pm

Author Topic: Starter Relay Woes  (Read 1941 times)

boozardy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Starter Relay Woes
« on: 10 June 2013, 09:56:01 pm »
Hi All, any help would be appreciated! My starter relay is making a rapid buzzing/clicking when I press the starter button, I thought at first it was the battery dead! So I bought an optimate 4 on impulse! Then I took the multi meter home from work and discovered I had over 12v on the battery! Bugger.......... does this mean the relay is buggered or a symptom of something else? Forgot to mention? The rev counter needle goes off on one after I release the starter, it was fine two weeks ago when I last rode it then yesterday, this! ps the battery is 2years old. Advice anyone??? Cheers, Tony

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Relay Woes
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2013, 10:20:37 pm »
I'm guessing your rev counter is giving a fault code - does it flick up to a particular revs, stay for a couple of seconds, drop back to zero and repeat? That's a fault code indication. Have already put up a post for someone in the know to help with all the different codes, but I'm sure someone with more tech. knowledge than me will be able to help you.

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2013, 11:43:14 pm »
Hi All, any help would be appreciated! My starter relay is making a rapid buzzing/clicking when I press the starter button, I thought at first it was the battery dead! So I bought an optimate 4 on impulse! Then I took the multi meter home from work and discovered I had over 12v on the battery! Bugger.......... does this mean the relay is buggered or a symptom of something else? Forgot to mention? The rev counter needle goes off on one after I release the starter, it was fine two weeks ago when I last rode it then yesterday, this! ps the battery is 2years old. Advice anyone??? Cheers, Tony

Have you got more than 12v when cranking the starter?

If not, (and I suspect you haven't) then get a new battery as yours is focced.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2013, 05:01:40 am »
Battery voltage needs to be a lot more than a bare 12v. :)

Ignition off, you should get 12.7v across the terminals on a good battery.  Under 12.3v or so and the battery is as good as dead.

Your symptoms in the first case are classic dead battery.  Eliminate that first and then come back to us if the problem persists.

fazer-rat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thunderace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2013, 05:24:10 am »
try cleaning your earth connection to the bike, the fault you have is low voltage at the starter circuit which can be caused by a bad earth connection.  my thunderace did this and i cleaned the connection at the engine,, sorted.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2013, 12:56:01 pm »
You've bought the optimate, now use it. It will charge a charge a healthy battery, recover a tired battery, or tell you it is fucked. 

boozardy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2013, 08:58:40 pm »
Hmmmmmmm! Cleaned  all terminals and charged up, put meter on battery whilst cranking and got 5v.................... I guess i'll go for the new battery! I just want to play!!!!!! Will report back!............... just out of curiosity any particular battery I should go for? Ps thanks for all the advice guys... Tony

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2013, 09:29:25 pm »
motobatt seem popular.....

tommo

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2013, 09:52:13 pm »
If money's no object, I'd say Yuasa, but I've found Turbo's to be quite good too (distributor used to be Feridax).

boozardy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2013, 11:21:00 am »
Sorted!!!! A new battery and now it's back to it's barking self!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the advice guys, now i'm off to play :lol ........... Tony