Date: 26-04-24  Time: 08:39 am

Author Topic: fitting a yamaha endless chain  (Read 1395 times)

elektrikAlien

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
fitting a yamaha endless chain
« on: 03 June 2013, 07:29:07 pm »
Hi -
Have bought a genuine Yamaha chain kit for my Gen1 Fazer 1000.
It has an endless (DID ZVM) chain (in the kit).
It states in Haynes that you need to remove the suspension complete and then remove swingarm to fit the chain. Does any guru out there know if I can get away with just undoing the dogbones where it bolts on to the swingarm and slide the swing arm backwards just enough to get the old chain off and the new one on - I have never done this before as I have always used a broken chain with a rivet.
Any advice would be welcome - Thanks  :)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: fitting a yamaha endless chain
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2013, 07:34:47 pm »
I did it the Haynes way as it gives you a good chance to clean and regrease everything :)
it doesn't take as long as yopu may think....

Tommo

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2013, 08:19:22 pm »
Yup. Once again, the Fazer stuns with how easy it is to work on. Takes about half an hour to get the linkage out, maybe 10 mins for the swingarm after that. It's one bolt and you don't even need special tools. Well, just a big enough socket. Doddle.

The biggest problem I found was getting the exhaust can off. The gasket had seized solid and it took a lot of whacking and twisting to get it off.

But taking the swingarm out is one of the easiest jobs you can do and you get to grease your linkages whilst you're at it!

elektrikAlien

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2013, 09:52:43 am »
Thanks for your advice guys - Did the dirty deed ( and I mean DIRTY) - took off swing arm and gave it a good clean and greased the bearings.  I didn't have to drop the shock out completely -just undid the linkage - pretty straight forward really -  it took me all afternoon with a friend to do it tho ( cleaning all the chain lube out of the front sprocket area etc. took ages), but I think an endless Yamaha chain Kit may prove to be a good decision-and it wasn't  hugely expensive either surprisingly.  Rode the bike yesterday and I can't believe how much better it feels - mind, the old set hand 34 1/2 thousand miles on it and was totally past  its sell by date- feel much safer now!  :D !!!!!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2013, 08:20:07 pm »
it took me all afternoon with a friend to do it tho ( cleaning all the chain lube out of the front sprocket area etc. took ages),

Oh aye. I forgot the cleaning bit when I was making that time estimate. Very satisfying doing it all yourself though, isn't it?