Date: 26-04-24  Time: 21:00 pm

Author Topic: bike won't start  (Read 2066 times)

samsung

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
bike won't start
« on: 03 June 2013, 08:43:16 am »
I know naff all about electrics.Tried to start the bike this morning,just an odd whirring sound in a box next to fuses.Is this a solenoid starter motor problem? HELP :\ .

John E Fazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: bike won't start
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2013, 11:30:51 am »
Check your battrey it should be showing over 12volt with no load on it.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2013, 06:06:33 pm »
+1 for the battery, mine does that when there's not enough juice to turn the motor over.
How old is the battery?
You should charge the battery and see if it then starts and also see how long it keeps the charge before binning it for a new one.

Tommo

samsung

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2013, 06:44:15 pm »
battery is twelve months old and this is the fourth one i've had to buy.The bike is on a trickle charge when not in use.It looks as if i'll be buying another one :\ .Thanks for the help.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2013, 07:30:34 pm »
if you can, check the voltage at the terminals with the bike running  and increase the revs, what happens??
I ask 'cos a mates CB500 had regulator problem and it cooked the battery, the volage was not controlled from the alternator and would creep up way over 16V as the revs rose over 2000......

T

fazer-rat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thunderace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2013, 08:01:14 am »
try charging it with a 3 amp charger before you bin it,,, maybe your trickle charger is fooked?

boozardy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2013, 09:59:15 am »
Hi, mine has suddenly decided to do just that! A rapid series of clicks then the rev counter goes up and down to 9000 or sometimes 7000 or so, I thought it was ( cos it said in my owners booklet its the tip over thing?) so I rang a Yamaha dealer who said it sounds like the battery? Got a push off and bike ran a treat with no lack of power or anything untoward............ That was yesterday! Today the futting thing did exactly the same? A rapid series of clicks and revcounter throwing a wobbler and not starting! Gonna get another push off and go buy an Optimate..................... and probably a new battery............ Tw*t.............Tony

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2013, 10:46:17 am »
battery is twelve months old and this is the fourth one i've had to buy.The bike is on a trickle charge when not in use.It looks as if i'll be buying another one :\ .Thanks for the help.
Have you found out what it is yet, Faulty regulator/rectifier?

samsung

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2013, 08:06:20 pm »
The battery is knackered :\ .Bought a new one from D&K.Cost £50 its got a 2year warrantry on it.I will have the charging aspect of the bike checked out soonest.D&K use yodel as a delivery company and they are rubbish.My new battery was kept at the Stoke on Trent collection point for Four days.If i had not got D&K to chase them it would still be sitting there.Hundreds of complaints about yodel can be found on the Amazon site.The charger i use is a good quality one It charged the battery no probs but it would not hold the charge.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2013, 08:48:34 pm »
Have you found out what it is yet, Faulty regulator/rectifier?
Agree with [size=78%]b1k3rdude. That many batteries suggests an underlying problem[/size]
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.