Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:28 am

Author Topic: Iridium Spark Plugs and Carb Balancing  (Read 3558 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Iridium Spark Plugs and Carb Balancing
« on: 30 April 2013, 11:43:23 am »
Hey guys,

Got a set of spark plugs sitting on my shelf, bought a set of NGKs before my ninja got stolen, but just wondered if they might be the same for the FZS 1000, and I'll get them popped in? They've got on them: CR9EIX
will keep nosing on the internet to see if I can find this out online!

Also, how sensitive are these bikes to carb balancing? It's coming up to 20k miles so I'll be doing a mini service:
New plugs
Carbs balanced
Engine oil and filter change
Air filter clean (may swap to a K&N, not for power but more that its reusable?)
New brake fluid (hopefully braided hoses)
Want to fit a scottoiler, money allowing
General check of hoses and cables
Check and greasing of bearings and pivot points

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Iridium Spark Plugs and Carb Balancing
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2013, 08:45:53 pm »
 Hi JoeRock,
Those plugs are the correct ones for the Gen 1 Fazer & for peace of mind I would service what you state below & more including the ‘exup’ valve, there is enough advice on the site plus the equivalent US site http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/index.php.
Chances are you will get more information & answers to your questions on the US site, the UK don’t seem to like new boys asking simple stuff as if we all should know it.  Ask “What colours’ your Fazer?” & you will get 100’s of reply’s but technical help is reserved for a few good members ones only, a good one being ‘Mike the Ivaniser’ who you will get to know from his expertise in making a great bike even better!  There are other worthy contributors’ on the UK site, you will see from the replies in threads ‘who’ they are!
Get yourself a at least a the Clymer workshop manual or even better the genuine ‘Yam’ one both can be found on eBay, study the procedures & give your new girl a good service, it’s easy to do & worthwhile in the end.
You have a great bike!

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2013, 09:41:59 pm »
You can download the yamaha gen1 workshop manual from the us fazer site (I think)
There are many very useful people on this site who will be more than willing to help you out, unfortunately I can't be of much use as so far my 2004 gen 1 has not caused me any probs (thats buggered that up now I've said it!!) but never feel 'shy' of asking what may appear a daft or newbie qn, we have all been there and no one will think any less of you and you may get a useful reply. Some one on here has a signature to that effect.
You can also get loads of useful in on pats site, just google cartestsoftware and it will come up, genuinely helpful and with pictures too (well I found them handy :) )
Cheers
Tommo

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2013, 10:52:23 pm »
If your local I have a Morgan carb tune you can borrow, Somerset.

I use the iridium plugs they work fine. Exup is something you need to keep on top of, its often forgotten, pats site has about the best walkthrough you will find.
When changing plugs the tool kit plug spanner works better than most aftermarket ones.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2013, 11:47:53 pm »
Hi Joe,

Here's my low down on your questions. Personal experiences only, your mileage may vary etc.

New plugs - I wouldn't bother unless there's a problem. Didn't change mine for 45k miles and they were still fine. Like new in fact.
Carbs balanced - With a Morgan Carbtune they're a doddle to set. Don't need doing often either.
Engine oil and filter change - Doddle. Use semi synthetic. Various people have had excessive oil burning (me) and slippy clutches with fully synthetic. (Other makes seem quite fine on it, however. I might have been unlucky)
Air filter clean (may swap to a K&N, not for power but more that its reusable?) Went 45k on the original air filter. At 20k, I'd just blow it out and save your money.
New brake fluid (hopefully braided hoses) After 11 years I changed to braided and noticed very little difference in feel. Save your money unless they're in a dire state and get the callipers and pistons immaculately clean instead. Bigger difference than braided hoses after a winter like we've just had.
Want to fit a scottoiler, money allowing - 35k out of a chain with one of those is achievable. Worth the money, but jeez, they make cleaning the bike a pain. Wouldn't be without one though.
General check of hoses and cables - always a good idea. Had to change the radiator hose than runs near the front sprocket because after years of chain filth it was starting to go last year.
Check and greasing of bearings and pivot points - 103k on the original monoshock and swingarm bearings for me. They're like new even now. Need very little doing to them. I think I've only greased them a couple of times in 12 winters and all those miles. Odd thing is that as new Fazers have half centimetre of play if you lift the rear wheel, but it's quite normal and doesn't get worse with age. The linkages are a doddle to take out too. 30 minute job unless the silencer's seized in place. In fact, even taking the swingarm out only takes 45 mins.

As Capt said, the EXUP needs regular attention to keep it happy. It's just about the only weak point apart from the finish which is a problem due to corrosion but the rest of the bike just seems to go on for ever. It's like Robert DeNiro in Cape Fear - just keeps coming back for more!

Some very dodgy looking download sites for Fazer Service Manuals. I grabbed a copy a long time ago and I think it was from here. But if you're on a PC, virus check it.

http://www.carlsalter.com/yamaha-service-manuals.asp

Handy site eh? Incidentally, how's your fuel economy at the moment - mines back up to where it should be now that I've fixed my EXUP and the weather's warmed up - 45 ish to the gallon and over 160 to reserve. Has yours improved?
« Last Edit: 01 May 2013, 12:10:21 am by AyJay »

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2013, 02:31:24 am »
That's great AyJay, just what I wanted! Can't believe that your bearings are at 103k miles now, that's absolutely insane!
Got the spark plugs changed today and the carbs balanced (the two central spark plugs were a right PITA, to the point where I think I'll be buying an air induction removal kit just to make that job easier and remove a load of pipes, the carb balancing was a doss though as they were pretty damn close already!)
Having a few difficulties finding what oil to run, my haynes manual says 10w30 but most other bikes I've had have been 10w40, which is also what I've found some people on here run? Wonder why the haynes says the 30 :S

My fuel economy is pretty good at the moment, I checked my valve and it was okay, as were the bolts, so coppergreased them up and popped them back in - I'm also at about 45mpg on around town at the moment which i think is retty damn good for a big engine in stop/start traffic, had it up to almost 60 on a long motorway journey and that was cruising at about 85, heavily laden which I thought was insanely good! Am considering when it comes round to it changing the rear sprocket for one with a couple fewer teeth though, the bike is more than quick enough for me in first gear (also found out today it comes up lovely and smooth in second with a bit of clutch work) but it'd be good to drop the cruising revs a bit on the motorway - haven't really got an issue with having to drop a gear for overtakes!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2013, 01:51:28 pm »
10w/40 minimum.  Without looking, I'd guess the 10w/30 recommendation was for low air temp riding.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2013, 04:33:15 pm »
10/40 semi, any good brand of your choice.
I would recomend changing the exup bolts each time you service it. For the sake of a quid its worth it.
Good quality ss ones. I use spring washers to so no need to go to tight.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2013, 10:57:45 pm »
60mpg on a motorway cruise? I've only ever done anything like that on a really hot day on the autoroutes in France bimbling along at 70 and even then I doubt I got 55.

Fazers are the most surprising of bikes. I've never owned anything quite like mine.