Date: 19-04-24  Time: 09:35 am

Author Topic: BMW S1000R rear shock fitment fail  (Read 1515 times)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
BMW S1000R rear shock fitment fail
« on: 15 July 2015, 07:47:17 pm »
Never one to resist a fresh challenge, last weekend I had a go at fitting the Beemer shock to the FZS600: after all, it works well on the 1000cc version.

It's a longer shock and so proved more awkward to get into position, requiring the removal of the rear wheel which in turn meant i could drop the shock down into the swingarm from above. Through a lot of wiggling I managed to get it attached to the top mount.
The lower shock mounting in the standard linkage knuckle proved impossible as the shock is some 20mm longer than the standard unit. Instead, I used an R6 shock linkage and dogbones which for some reason I happened to have lying around in the garage  ;) . This provided a longer linkage, but too long for the centre-stand to cope. Nevertheless, I bolted everything together and wheeled her off the centre-stand. The bouncing effect was fairly dire, almost trampoline-like, despite having fitted a stronger spring.
It's obvious that the linkage triangulation has radically altered from standard, but there was no other way to get it to fit without fouling the swingarm's cross-brace. Sadly this side project has reached it's premature end unless someone suggests a novel solution...?

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: BMW S1000R rear shock fitment fail
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2015, 10:43:11 pm »
I don't know the possibility, but if you remove the cemtrestand altogether and use those mounting bolts, would it fit then or is it too tight to do that too?

On another note, is it at all possible from your experience just to be able to change the spring on a standard fzs600?
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2015, 04:12:26 pm »
The spring can be changed on the standard shock, as mine is fitted with a progressive Hyperpro one.

I'll be swapping mine for an R6 unit as soon as I get the spring in and the dog-bones made.

It's a shame about the S1000rr shock. Just out of curiosity, how long is the shock eye centre to eye centre?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2015, 05:56:23 pm »
Sinto: Yeah, easy enough to swap springs providing you have a vice and appropriate motorcycle shock spring compressors.

Risticuss: I think the shock is about 320mm from eyelet centre-to-centre.  I think the later 2012 onwards version of the Beemer shock is a little bit shorter (315mm?), but then the linkage have to rotate upwards & backwards to attach, causing the shock spring to foul the crossbrace.

Either way, the centrestand would definitely have to go, therefore ruling the mod out for most riders.  A pity indeed as it looks well and I am led to believe it performs very nicely too  :(

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2015, 10:29:21 pm »
Yep, I've got the clamps and a vice, so I'll maybe just hunt down a decent spring to change, anyone any ideas of a spring that fits? Cheers.
Colin
----------------------

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2015, 11:13:26 am »
It's a seven inch spring so commonly available both new and on used shocks, depends whether you want to go for a lighter or heavier rate

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2015, 11:20:25 am »
Well I'm only 11 stone all in with kit on, but I do take my son on the bike sometimes,he's probably about 9 stone all in with kit on.
I've not looked into it with too much depth at the moment,  but I don't do track days or ride like an animal, so I'm guessing a medium spring would do me?
Was looking at spacers to tighten up the current spring, but don't know if that's feasible.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2015, 11:21:42 am by sinto »
Colin
----------------------