Date: 18-05-24  Time: 12:23 pm

Author Topic: chains security  (Read 4480 times)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
chains security
« on: 18 April 2014, 07:25:07 am »
Which chain do you use and is it really worth the money
 http://www.getgeared.co.uk/Motorcycle_Security/Motorcycle_Chain_Lock
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: chains security
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2014, 08:28:32 am »
Depends where you park your bike and how high the risk is i s'pose?
They are certainly a good deterrent to the opportunist thief.
I've never really been a fan of disc locks.

My bike's garaged at home and parked in front of reception at work during the day, but i have a heavy duty chain and Ingersoll lock that i've had for many many years which stays under my seat ready to be used when out and about.

Ironically my brother gave me the lock and chain after he "borrowed" them from a job he was working on at the time and "forgot" to give them back.
I really must get a spare key cut.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

AllyBally

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2014, 10:28:50 am »
 I think any reasonable chain and disc locks are a good deterrent. But have to say that they wont stop some scumbag taking your pride and joy if they are determined.
    A while ago had to get a chain and disc lock off a bike as owner had lost keys, had spare bike key but couldnt find the spare keys for the locks, less than 2 minutes with bolt croppers and a cordless cutter, bit noisy but then a lot of thieving scum are bold as brass.
    Saying that, I use my chain and lock whenever possible, better than making it easier for them.
The voices told me to do it !!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2014, 10:37:15 am »
disk lock when im out and about.

when at home, I have a ground anchor bolted to my wall, with a fairly cheap "mammoth" chain. the anchor is fine, but the chain is a bit cheaper than I would have liked, and so ill likely upgrade that at some point. the only plus side is the chain has a bright green sleeve on it, so its a good visual deterrent, but I dont reckon it will stop a good set of bolt croppers.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2014, 10:56:12 am »
As has been said before, if someone wants your bike they'll take it. I use a chain and disc lock everywhere I go, more to guarantee an insurance payout if it does get robbed than to actually secure the bike.

Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2014, 11:03:20 am »
That's the clip my link is supposed to be fizzie and was part of my point.  Seems £159 chain as easy to crack as a£50.
Seems to me chain has to be between bike and wall anchor  and halfway up the bike to block croppers  from being pressed against floor.  Have to be a strong foc to crop using arms alone

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2014, 12:39:54 pm »
This should buy you lots of noise and cutters longer than 1m:

http://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Motorbike-Scooter/Lock-chain-combinations/Granit-Extreme-Plus-59

Make sure bike is locked to something immobile, through the frame, above ground if at all possible.

Good lock (hard to pick), good, hardened steel  - all the way to the core, not just surface hardened that is easier to cut.

With electric grinder, or big bold cutters, it will be cut - in under 10 minutes probably, but it will need noise, good tools and longer than most other (cheaper) chains.

Disk locks are not good when your bike gets loaded onto a van - like most bikes get stolen where I live, while alarm is good for kinds not sitting on your bike, not much more.

EDIT:   Video from 3 mins onwards, thanks Darrsi, forgot to mention.    :rolleyes

Honda CBR600RR 2007 STOLEN!

My fazer was locked and with an alarm - and dragged 20 meters away by one strong man. He wasn't about to steal it, just relocate, fortunately.  :)
« Last Edit: 18 April 2014, 04:58:56 pm by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2014, 12:54:29 pm »
Watch video from 3mins onwards!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2014, 10:46:32 am »
That almax vid is total crap all those chains and they never stole that bike once!!

The problem with all of those chains is that the links can fit into a large bolt cropper jaws, the way to scupper that one is to have 16 or 19mm chain links that will not fit into the jaws, job done (at least safe from croppers)
Chains that are through hardend as demo are brittle and the shock of cutting one side also breaks the other side of the link, where as case hardend only you will have to cut both sides of the link in turn
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2014, 11:16:02 am »
Yeah I read an article saying anything less than 16mm useless for bikes.  I'm surprised D locks ate rated so low as well, is that due to croppers as well

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2014, 01:17:33 pm »
100% safe system is also a useless one.  Hard to carry too thick of a chain. 12mm chain core hardened should make most bolt cutters useless, or take some really long levers - over 1m. With enough time, tools and determination, any bike will get stolen, it is usually enough to make your bike less expensive and better secured than the next.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2014, 01:28:47 pm »
100% safe system is also a useless one.  Hard to carry too thick of a chain. 12mm chain core hardened should make most bolt cutters useless, or take some really long levers - over 1m. With enough time, tools and determination, any bike will get stolen, it is usually enough to make your bike less expensive and better secured than the next.
Yep those 16-19 mm chains are not for carrying about with you
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2014, 06:47:12 pm »
Thats the only problem, I have an almax for securing to ground anchor at home but too heavy to take with me. Im afraid it's down to luck when out and about, but I rarely leave it anywhere, and the works site is fenced off with security entrance, so hopefully ok when at work.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2014, 06:47:46 pm by Fazafou »

zippywight

• DAS Born Again
  • who? me? no wasnt me, you sure? nope not me!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2014, 11:44:06 pm »
Key broke to my ultra safe krypton d lock on my racer!!after an hour trying to saw through this and only achieving a polish of the metal, Tried bolt croppers and broke these googled how to break these bloody things. Apparently you can force some open with bottle jacks. Another option which I enjoyed was the jaws of life, no noise but big and clumbersome. Took these to the lock and 20 seconds later d lock in 2 parts!. Tested angle grinder on the d lock and 5 minutes later I was through ( lots of noise and sparks)......... Anyway, white van some overalls with some fake badges and no one will question you! Well if they do just say your impounding the bikes.
On that no lock is indestructible, and merely acts as a deterrent, and you hope the bike next to yours has less of a deterrent than yours. Alarms! Does anyone pay attention to alarms theses days!

Oh yes I am not in this line of business and just commenting  :rolleyes

zippywight

• DAS Born Again
  • who? me? no wasnt me, you sure? nope not me!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2014, 11:50:12 pm »
.... Addition to last post. Hardened steel can  apparently be frozen and shattered with a strong blow from a hammer (you can get the stuff in a can) refrigerators use this stuff so is readily available.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2014, 08:03:23 am »
The joys of the humble fzs600- not worth nicking to sell on so not in the sight of professionals, only worth nicking by teenage joyriders, so any chain/ disc lock combination should be a suitable deterrent!
Some say...

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2014, 11:17:59 am »
People wrap chains around their wheel and then two Pikeys come along in a van and just lift up the end of the bike which has the chain on and roll the bike into their van. Bye bike!!

Chains are just deterrents to protect against OPPORTUNIST thieves. There is no pikey deterrent - end of.
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2014, 11:38:24 am »
The joys of the humble fzs600- not worth nicking to sell on so not in the sight of professionals, only worth nicking by teenage joyriders, so any chain/ disc lock combination should be a suitable deterrent!

not sure about that as when I had my super dream some toe-rag tried to nick it & it was only worth £250!! ended up building a garage which cost me £1500!! lol + the £15 for new ignition where they tried to barrel it!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2014, 02:44:24 pm »
A KASP one but only because I get them cheap at work