Date: 01-06-24  Time: 17:16 pm

Author Topic: Biker Death - Discuss  (Read 2531 times)

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Biker Death - Discuss
« on: 04 July 2014, 11:23:01 am »

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Re: Biker Death - Discuss
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2014, 11:37:02 am »
She was responsible for causing death by careless driving.....showed no remorse.....and the cow even tried to blame the biker......and gets banned for only 12 months with community service.....shocking....she should have got at least 5 years inside.

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2014, 11:39:11 am »
The bit that sticks in my throat is

""Michelle Marshall has shown no remorse for her actions throughout the court proceedings and even tried to blame Dominic for the collision. ""

she has taken a life !

In my mind its no different to pointing a gun and pulling the trigger !

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2014, 11:41:24 am »
A very brief account with no detail of the accident.

Not much to discuss, only knee jerk reactions from bikers perspectives.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2014, 11:48:49 am »
It would be interesting to see further details of the incident.  Either way, the sentence does not reflect seriousness of her actions.  I am also of the opinion that sentencing should be harder on those who show no remorse for their actions - particularly when the loss of life is a consequence. 

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2014, 11:53:10 am »
"knee jerk reactions from bikers perspectives."

yes I agree and I am one but ! in my defence we are taught when we drive a car you are in control of a weapon !

we've all seen far to often deaths of bikers cause in no uncertain terms by the "poor judgment " of car drivers

and the car driver gets a slapped wrist !  , I know its pretty much the same across the board for all crime , but I do feel , where lose of life in caused it should be a much firmer stance and punishment .

If as hinted the incident/collision was clearly her fault why was there no remorse ? no guilty at taking the life of another human ?

Was as a biker his life less valuable ? ( just playing devils advocate )

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2014, 12:35:30 pm »
Agree lack of detail,  Can only presume the junction where it happened afforded her clear view of both directions for a fair distance and that the sun was not interfering with vision and maybe the biker was actually passing through the junction and she pulled out hitting him maybe she was witnessed to be racing and drove straight out without looking or slowing down.  All speculative but even though the fault automatically is put on the vehicle pulling out from the junction, for her to be found guilty of death by dangerous driving I hope she she was seen to be doing more than generally pulling out of a junction.  Otherwise it could set a precedent for all smidsy's.[size=78%]  [/size]

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2014, 09:27:12 pm »
Totally amazing. She would of got prison if she did double the speed limit on an empty motorway.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2014, 12:30:14 am »
In Selby a woman DRUNK driver put a biker in a wheelchair, he had just retired, he died last year due to his injuries about 3 years after the accident, she was find £400 and a years ban.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2014, 07:24:30 am »
For me its about the punishment fitting the crime. If she has been sentenced the she must have been proven guilty of the crime, the fact that she tried to blame the biker means she did not admit any wrong doing. I dont think a 12 month ban and community service is much of a deterrent to other would be murderers.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2014, 08:42:12 pm »
The poor/inconsiderate/selfish behaviour we experience daily on our crowded roads seems to be a reflection of  "Sod you--Im  coming through-get out the way!"
attitude which is almost condoned by the lenient sentencing we hear about like this case.
Not much value attached to a human life is there?
I see drivers who can barely manage their cages,distracted by satnavs,phones,music players-but then again the car test is a bit of a joke isnt it-with no probationary periods/power restrictions for newly qualified drivers,unlike the process for getting a bike licence.
The marked police cars seem to be a thing of the past so theres every good chance of getting away with stuff.
But more than anything else how can anyone(apart from a complete psychopath) fail to show remorse for killing someone, albeit unintentionally?

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2014, 10:58:45 pm »
It is always sad when you read threads like this. 12 month ban and 250 hours community service. Sadly sign of the times. The jails are full otherwise she would have done time. One day she will suddenly wake up and think to herself I through my actions have likely as not deprived a family of a husband , kids of a father/grand father. Guilt will eat away at her.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2014, 07:31:34 am by lew600fazer »
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2014, 08:21:47 am »
What guilt? She tried to blame the biker, showing zero remorse according to the article.

Can understand some views that it's all very speculative without further details, however, she has been found guilty so she is at fault for a death. Whether she was on her phone and didn't see or simply slipped on the clutch - it's all meaningless in the scheme of things. She took a life, and is serving a lowly sentence.

Don't agree with 'jails are full' view either - that doesn't mean someone should get off with what is essentially murder/manslaughter.

I think the salt in the wound is the zero remorse shown. I might have felt a little better about it if she knew what she'd done wrong. In a year or two she'll be back on the road with the same old view that bikers are second best, perhaps that view might be even strengthened by this decision.

Disgusting.

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 July 2014, 10:21:07 pm »
What if she'd mown down a horse and rider or a cyclist or a child ?

i think the sentence and the outcry would have been more.

J_Dub

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 July 2014, 04:23:47 pm »

Page 18 Item 6 & Page 19 Item 8

Personally I think the charge of death by careless driving is inadequate and it is too easy for offenders to walk away with a meaningless punishment.