Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:21 pm

Author Topic: FZS1000 or FZ1  (Read 2217 times)

bikeral

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
FZS1000 or FZ1
« on: 09 April 2021, 01:29:52 pm »
« Last Edit: 11 May 2021, 03:07:29 pm by bikeral »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: FZS1000 or FZ1
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2021, 01:52:21 pm »
I am lead to believe the Gen 1 is the better option. I require comfort, good MPG but has plenty of power for two up fun, touring but also provides fun for solo riding

Yep FZS1000 is a better all round bike.

(especially being thrown around the corners)

To a point yes.  The FZ1 has better suspension set up, but with a little money you can easily up rate the FZS1000 to deliver.  Most second hand bikes will already be up rated to some point, although they may need some fettling to match how you ride and/or want to do.   
Later

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2021, 02:25:40 pm »
What Gnasher said :thumbup . Gen 1 has a decent sized tank giving a good (180’ish) range. Givi make top box/ pannier mounting kits, as well as necessary boxes/panniers, so once the suspension is sorted to suit your needs/style, it will tour, scratch and commute. A proper jack of all trades. Excellent brakes, best rear brake I’ve ever had on a bike in fact. If it’s not sporty enough for you, you could always add the Ivan’s jet kit/ air filter mod. Good luck with your search.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2021, 02:42:06 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forums  :D

I have no personal experience of the FZ1 other than knowing it can be ridden blisteringly quickly in the right hands (what happened to Malc?) but the same can be said for most bikes.

I have had my Gen1 (FZS1000) for 10 years now and that is the longest I have ever held onto a bike, I always found something on previous bikes I didn't quite gel with. My requirements for a bike sound similar to yours, something that I can hoon around on through the twisties when the red mist rises but equally something that the Mrs enjoys being on the back of for day trips out bimbling around the countryside, and the Gen1 fits both bills and pretty much everything inbetween. Having said that the suspension has been upgraded at both ends (vital), the bike has been fitted with an Ivan's kit for better fuelling (very nice to have), an ignition advancer (bit more bottom end grunt for the sake of a bit off peak power) and different bars (slightly more sporty feel).

I guess my main concern in recommending a Gen1 is the bikes are getting long in the tooth so you will need to take your time and avoid impulse buys to get one that has been well looked after, but if you take your time, do your research and budget for suspension refurbs you could find yourself a good long term bike that you will be really happy with.

If you haven't already done so check out the FAQ's for both models at the top of this section, and post back with any questions. If you spot a bike that takes your interest then post back as it may be someone on here has some knowledge of it or might even be willing to check it out for you if they are in the area.

Stew53uk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2021, 05:54:01 pm »
FZS1000 for me, class bike that does it all  :lol

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2021, 09:53:45 am »
I have no experience of the FZ1 but have owned a fair number of bikes over the years, including both incarnations of the FZS Fazer namely 600(Boxeye & Foxeye) & 1000.
The ONLY reason I sold the thou was my advancing years & increasing difficulty getting the bike down a narrow side path with right angle bend to rear of my house.
Every time I look at photos of that lovely red bike I wish I was 20 years younger and still experience that adrenaline rush on opening the throttle at any road speed coupled with its absolutely ability to trickle along at 30-35mph in 6th gear 2 up with luggage. Granted the bike had the"full monty" ivanised treatment.
For me the FZS 1000 representedthebest of all worlds- performance,comfort,tank range,road presence,and with suspension upgrades and good rubber on the wheels, and blue spots maintained in A1 condition she would give many "sports bikes" a run fortheir money. Couldbeseenas a bit of awolf in sheeps clothing! Happy memories.

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2021, 09:14:38 pm »
FZS1000 here too,

I have had two, regretted selling the first. Luckily later found a nearly as good 2nd.

Take your time , find a minter one and then Ivanise and upgrade the suspenders - I'd recommend either Maxton or Nitron but I found Maxton very approachable and you get a personal service. It will be money well spent.

I have a Tiger Sport as well but I err towards riding the Fazer every time. Simple, straightforward and none of the new-fangled electronic gizzmos that you do not need.

Enjoy! :D

[/size][size=78%] [/size]

bikeral

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2021, 01:01:13 pm »
« Last Edit: 11 May 2021, 03:07:15 pm by bikeral »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2021, 02:02:26 pm »
a few have mentioned to ivanize. Can anybody shed some light on how I can do this

Bookmark this page - http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/index.html
« Last Edit: 13 April 2021, 02:04:13 pm by PieEater »

bikeral

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2021, 12:42:59 pm »
« Last Edit: 11 May 2021, 03:06:54 pm by bikeral »

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2021, 01:19:47 pm »
They are becoming less common with low miles.

Ensure you get a warranty. 18K is nothing on one of these if it has a service history and it has had regular oil changes. The only other thing to ensure is that the EXUP valve is working and not seized up. You could negotiate them to service it for you and provide photo proof?

Good luck in finding one, I am still sorely tempted to buy another and store it. I LOVE my Fazer, they are a fantastic bike.

My only gripe is the side case options available and the bike did not suit my wife's knees for too long hence I sold my original Fazer. If you are riding solo just stick a bag across the pillion seat and go. I fitted a SW Mototech rack and use a Givi 45 ltr topbox.

Bw

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2021, 02:27:27 pm »
To be fair, it’s not a huge price for a bike in that apparently good condition. I’m sure you could negotiate it down a couple of hundred? Given the mileage and condition, I’d imagine that the suspension won’t be too tired at that mileage, so you could put that job off for a while. But you’d still need to budget for it and if you’re thinking of doing a lot of two up work with your other half, I wouldn’t wait to get that done.
What I would want to get done straight away though, would be to replace the standard brake hoses after 18yrs, with some braided ones. So budget for that. HEL do some sets for around the £100 mark iirc? Don’t forget to use the Forum discount code. Don’t ask me how I know that!  :'(

If I were to decide to sell mine, (which I have no plans to do), which has pretty much all of the common mods / updates on it, along with a set of luggage, I wouldn’t let it go for much less than that.

So, if you hold out and maybe post a wanted advert in here for a fully specc’d one, you might get one offered for similar money? It would save you a load of hassle and money if it has had all of the main upgrades done already? Plus, most forum owners will have maintained the exhaust exup valve as well.

Good luck with your search.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2021, 08:28:35 pm »
I know it’s way above going price for a bike so old but it’s in yellow same as my fzs600. It looks in really good condition. What do you think?

« Last Edit: 02 May 2021, 08:42:02 pm by b1k3rdude »