Date: 08-05-24  Time: 02:52 am

Author Topic: 2000 Fazer 600 not starting  (Read 1485 times)

jonr1x

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
2000 Fazer 600 not starting
« on: 09 December 2022, 01:43:41 pm »
Hi all, I've got a 2000 Fazer 600 that won't start. I bought the bike about 3 or 4 weeks ago and on two occasions it wouldn't start without being bumped. Every other time it starts first push of the button. Now it will start first time but then cut out and won't start again. I've checked the battery and that seems fine. Are there any common things that a non mechanical person can check relatively easily? Thanks.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 Fazer 600 not starting
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2022, 02:21:00 pm »
That's a very open ended question, there are so many possibilities of why it might not start consistently?

How exactly did you check the battery?
You need to put a meter on the terminals and let us know the readings with engine off, ticking over, and slightly revving, to try and see what condition the battery might be in? (when it does start obviously)
Make sure you have the headlights switched off when trying to start the engine, because they will zap your battery for power if it's not in good working condition.

Sounds daft, but I would lift the tank and firstly make sure the fuel tap is switched fully on, and then check that the fuel pipe coming from the tank isn't kinked in any way restricting fuel flow, especially when you rest the tank back down again.

New set of spark plugs never hurts, especially if you don't know the history of the bike, and a similar case can be made for the air filter (and fuel filter).

When trying to start the bike, hold the clutch in, to separate the clutch plates. If this helps then maybe an oil change wouldn't go amiss either.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2022, 06:24:09 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2022, 04:14:06 pm »
does the engine turn over when you press the start button?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2022, 09:22:51 pm »
I'd check the continuity on the kill switch/ side stand cut out switch and, if necessary, strip them down and clean them.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2022, 05:49:29 am »
When trying to start is it backfiring at all?

I had starting issues years ago, especially in cold/damp weather, and it took me ages to resolve it which included swapping electrical parts through a process of elimination.
Then one day i read something about the ignition system and used electronic contact cleaner spray in the ignition barrel (where the the key goes) and gave it a good saturating whilst moving the key about at the same time and it never played up after that. There's quite a few contacts in the ignition barrel and over a long time of hot, cold, wet, dry weather moisture and dirt can clog up the barrel causing bad connections. I still clean it occasionally even now, and have also made a little cap/cover to go over the ignition barrel to stop dirty rain getting into it when it's parked up outside at work. Very simple but effective.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2022, 05:59:32 am »
Here's an old post of mine which might be worth you reading too.

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=20471.0

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2022, 06:03:02 am »
Add to that last post, i notice that the Starter Solenoid was mentioned a few times. (and so was cleaning the ignition barrel with contact cleaner)

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=26685.msg322808#msg322808

Little bit fiddly to replace from memory, but i managed it so it can't be that bad.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=starter+solenoid+fzs+600&_sacat=0
« Last Edit: 10 December 2022, 06:12:01 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2022, 06:21:18 am »
I'd check the continuity on the kill switch/ side stand cut out switch and, if necessary, strip them down and clean them.

That side stand switch is in a very bad place to access, which is why i bypassed mine many years ago during my elimination process stages.
In fact i still think i have a brand new one somewhere which i would have gladly fitted if it wasn't such a ball ache to do. It's never been a problem without it and it passes the MOT okay so not really a big deal to me, although you're better off having it functioning than not in fairness. 

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2022, 10:45:19 am »
That side stand switch is in a very bad place to access,

Ah, fair enough.

They obviously fixed that issue on the FZ6.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2022, 11:22:20 am »

That side stand switch is in a very bad place to access, which is why i bypassed mine many years ago during my elimination process stages.
In fact i still think i have a brand new one somewhere which i would have gladly fitted if it wasn't such a ball ache to do. It's never been a problem without it and it passes the MOT okay so not really a big deal to me, although you're better off having it functioning than not in fairness.

I always thought that was an MOT failure

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2022, 11:41:57 am »

I always thought that was an MOT failure

Nope.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2022, 11:43:52 am »
That side stand switch is in a very bad place to access,

Ah, fair enough.

They obviously fixed that issue on the FZ6.

From memory, with the bike on the floor you just can't get near it.
Maybe easier on a raised platform?

jonr1x

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2022, 06:34:55 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, it's much appreciated. Tried starting the bike yesterday and she started then immediately cut out. Tested the battery off, running and after running for a while and it's ok. Later on same day tried starting her again and she started with a lot of revs. I'll look at the side stand switch and kill switch and try the starter motor too and the ignition barrel as that is getting a bit stiff and clunky. I'll also check the fuel tap and line under the tank. Again thanks a lot and hopefully I'll get it sorted.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2022, 07:18:51 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, it's much appreciated. Tried starting the bike yesterday and she started then immediately cut out. Tested the battery off, running and after running for a while and it's ok. Later on same day tried starting her again and she started with a lot of revs. I'll look at the side stand switch and kill switch and try the starter motor too and the ignition barrel as that is getting a bit stiff and clunky. I'll also check the fuel tap and line under the tank. Again thanks a lot and hopefully I'll get it sorted.

Side stand switch can easily be "tested" by putting the bike on the centre stand instead and see if it still misbehaves with the side stand up.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2022, 06:40:51 pm »

Side stand switch can easily be "tested" by putting the bike on the centre stand instead and see if it still misbehaves with the side stand up.

use a screwdriver to push the pin out
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2022, 07:04:01 pm »
That description sounds very like partially  blocked pilot jet or jets.