Date: 25-04-24  Time: 07:45 am

Author Topic: Puncture prevention/repair - Suggestions please  (Read 975 times)

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Puncture prevention/repair - Suggestions please
« on: 08 July 2020, 09:54:26 am »
Been using Gloop/Slime type product in both front and rear tyres of my bike for the last 3 years without problem but last week noticed the rear was losing pressure quite regularly.
Managed to rotate the wheel through a tray of water and traced the leak to air escaping at the rim.
Took the wheel off and dropped it into my local bike shop for investigation.
The anti-puncture fluid was corroding the alloy wheel internal surface and causing the rim to lose seal. After a wash out and refitting with new valve (valve was corroding as well) and using a rim sealing paste all is now back to normal.
I've now invested in a can of TyreWeld to keep with the bike but am looking to back this up with a repair kit of sticky laces and a mini compressor as a belt and braces approach.
Been looking at the RAC/AA mini compressor for about £15 from Amazon which has mixed reviews.
Be interested to learn what other riders are using before purchasing anything.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Puncture prevention/repair - Suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2020, 10:30:47 am »
Green Slime only works for about 2 years ish, after that it's has to be replaced.  I've never heard of it corroding rims or valves, what I think you'll find  is more likely the corrosion due to cheap tyre rim lub/soap and water in the air as many tyre places/stealers don't keep their compressors serviced correctly, when you compress air you get water as a bi product.

What I would recommend is one of the Rema road side repair kits https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rema-Tip-Top-Tubeless-Tyre-Repair-and-Inflate-On-The-Go-Kit-/302616715140?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10#rpdCntId  These are what BMW supply with their bikes.

Getting a puncture is a real pain but is thankfully not a common thing, obviously if you ride where there's a lot of building or up the centre of the road or filter into the hatched areas a lot, you will increase your chances as will letting your tyres get to 1mm.  Personally I'm not a fan of Green Slime, yes it can be a real life saver if you're on a touring holiday or constantly in very rural areas.  But by definition of how it works you're often not going to know you've got a puncture, it works and works very well for months in some cases but it will start leaking and will fail when you least need it too. 

You can use the stuff once you actually get the puncture but you need to be able to inflate the tyre at pace to make it work i.e. compressor or bottles.  The other downside is all the mess come tyre changing time, some places now charge you to clean the wheel.

Later

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2020, 12:39:02 pm »
I carry an Air Man mini compressor. These are the choice of several car makers that supply cars without spare wheels. This model costs around £22/26.
The repair kit I use is the Stop’n’Go Pocket Plugger, costs around £30. This set up has performed perfectly on 3 occasions, both at home and abroad. I did substitute the supplied pliers in the repair kit for a pair with better grip though.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2020, 10:35:25 am »
« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 10:35:58 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2020, 05:07:59 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

I've bought the AirMan mini compressor as per the link and this arrived today.

Ran a test of it through my battery charge lead but this blew the inline fuse in my charge lead as it's obviously not meant to be used as a power outlet. Replaced fuse and all OK. Tried again using crocodile clips to the battery and all fine. Seems very robust and well thought through. Will fit under the seat but with all the other stuff I carry have added it to my Kriega US10 tank pack.

Not decided on a patch kit yet as I have a new can of tyre weld which the compressor can supplement if the can can't achieve pressure. Patch kit will be useful if tyre weld can't seal any puncture. Bit belt and braces but hopefully will never need any of it!

Thanks again.