Date: 18-04-24  Time: 18:53 pm

Author Topic: FZS600 Update  (Read 1720 times)

deanflyer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
FZS600 Update
« on: 02 July 2020, 12:23:59 pm »
So I posted a few months ago about getting an FZS600. Coronavirus has got in the way of everything including my bike test, but I do have an update on the bike.

Due to lockdown I haven't seen the bike yet. Off to view it tomorrow. It was finally MOTd yesterday with no advisories. It has had a service including ultrasonic carb clean/new rubbers. Friend paid £350 for this, so he is now asking £1400 for the bike (was £1150 originally).

I'll get some better photos taken tomorrow, but here is an old one of it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: FZS600 Update
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2020, 12:40:12 pm »
Are they the original downpipes still?

Also, the main stand needs to be put back on to make maintenance easier.

Does look relatively tidy though
« Last Edit: 02 July 2020, 12:50:35 pm by BBROWN1664 »
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2020, 12:51:13 pm »
Here’s the original thread
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=25889.25

Personally I feel passing on the cost of the servicing to rectify problems is not all that friendly. But that’s only my opinion!

Brake hoses will need doing. Original pipes and no centre stand as mentioned. For me it would need more money spending on it and that makes it too expensive. Just because it passed the MOT doesn’t mean it’s all good. Has the battery been changed, head bearings greased, suspension linkages, brake pistons etc etc?
« Last Edit: 02 July 2020, 12:55:01 pm by Trebus »

deanflyer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2020, 12:58:33 pm »
Hmm, good point. Hadn't noticed the centre stand was missing. I'm guessing if it's not there, he doesn't have it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2020, 03:43:11 pm »
Here’s the original thread
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=25889.25

Personally I feel passing on the cost of the servicing to rectify problems is not all that friendly. But that’s only my opinion!

Brake hoses will need doing. Original pipes and no centre stand as mentioned. For me it would need more money spending on it and that makes it too expensive. Just because it passed the MOT doesn’t mean it’s all good. Has the battery been changed, head bearings greased, suspension linkages, brake pistons etc etc?

:agree

Some mate he is, sorry chap he's ripping you off.  Looking at the pictures this bike isn't a nice stored for 7yrs minter, I'm sorry to say.  In my opinion  this is lower 3rd for condition and could well be needing a lot of work, chain, shock, battery, stand, tyres god knows what else, for what is top 3rd money for the year .  That little lot could cost you a close to grand or more if you include labour.

My advice either pay close to what he paid £500 ish or walk away, there're a good few other Fazers out there and these will be VGC for that sort of money or for a bit more minters.   

Don't let your heart rule your head, a good Fazer you can sell for almost what you paid for it and then spend you 5-6k budget on something you want after you've gained experience.  That said you'll be hard pushed to find something that much better than a Fazer :D   
Later

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2020, 05:34:05 pm »
Having been looking at 600 Fazers recently, it may be my imagination but prices seem to be creeping upwards.

Compared to some I've seen, £1400 is not the end of the world, but doesn't sound like mates-rates to me.

You said in your earlier posts that you've got a budget for some parts, but if you plan on keeping the bike for a while (and you probably will when you find out how good they are!) you'll end up spending more, which gives you a much wider range of bikes to look at.

It just depends on whether you want a bike that's already done or you want to do it up to your own specs.

deanflyer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2020, 08:54:57 pm »
That's a good point about prices. I've been keeping an eye on FZS600 prices the past couple of months and most of the ones at the lower price havent been great. Good ones seem to have been advertised nearer to £2k.

Maybe it's the time of year plus people wanting cheaper transport maybe???

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2020, 10:19:05 pm »
 I mentioned this a couple of years ago. Until fairly recently it was only the mint low milers that were fetching over £2k but that seems to be the going rate now for anything reasonable with up to 30k miles from a dealership and the really good ones are quite a bit more. Having said that with the ridiculous prices being asked for some of the older stuff, they're still something of a bargain.
« Last Edit: 02 July 2020, 10:40:51 pm by vinnyb »

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2020, 09:14:39 am »
That's a good point about prices. I've been keeping an eye on FZS600 prices the past couple of months and most of the ones at the lower price havent been great. Good ones seem to have been advertised nearer to £2k.

Maybe it's the time of year plus people wanting cheaper transport maybe???

I thought there would be a lot of 600s on the market because of the ULEZ in London and that would bring prices down, but that doesn't seemed to have happened so far. If anything, around £2k seems to be the average for anything decent and even Bandits are silly money for ones in good nick. I think the days of bikes going for hundreds rather than thousands are over for the time being but you may see prices drop a bit if you're prepared to wait until the end of summer.

It all depends what you want the bike to be. Do you want something that'll just get you around or do you want it to be the best it can be? If it's not going to be a 'keeper' you need to think hard about how much you're going to have to spend above the initial price because you're not going to get the benefit of the spending or add much to the resale value.

deanflyer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2020, 02:48:12 pm »
Its not that I need a keeper, and I'll probably progress fairly quickly to a newer/faster bike, however I don't want to ride around on a piece of tat. I take pride in the things I own, and like them to be "right".

Went to view it today and had a quick ride on it (private road). I can see why people like them :) The front brakes are awesome.

Spoke to the guy who did the engine work and it has had a full service of the carburettors including ultrasonic cleaning, new seals, air filter, balancing of jets, cleaning fuel lines etc plus the MOT (no advisories). It runs perfectly.

By my reckoning it needs at least the following:-

Tyres front and back (manufactured 2008). They look in good condition, thoughts?
Oil Change
Oil Filter
Spark Plugs
Swingarm regreased
Steering head bearings regreased
Brake fluid change plus master cylinder seals
Age of some of the brake lines etc. are probably questionable

Chain is on exactly 150mm, brakes are fine.

It does have the centre stand on it :)

He still wants £1400 for it. Also said he will provide a warranty if anything breaks.

I'm torn as it does run very well, but it is a bit tatty. More cosmetic, the underlying mechanics plus the low mileage are positives. The black paint is coming of in parts on the front wheel, plus scratches on rear of bike (see photo). Front forks could also do with being tidied up (see photo).

Maybe I should just spend more on my first bike? Anyone got a mint FZS600 they want to sell me?

Dean

« Last Edit: 03 July 2020, 03:33:17 pm by deanflyer »

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2020, 05:58:02 pm »
It is tatty, but I've seen worse at the price. It's whether you can live with it being tatty!

The jobs you've listed are mainly standard service items that you'd be doing at some point on most bikes of this age, so it really is up to you how worried you are about the cosmetics.

Having looked at Fazers for sale on MCN, Gumtree, Autotrader and ebay there are others around, but the better ones are more expensive, as expected.

You will, of course, want newer/faster soon, but in a few years time you'll find yourself thinking 'I wish I'd kept the Fazer...' I know I do!

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2020, 07:27:25 pm »
Tyres - manufacturers state something like 5 years old maximum. That’s probably conservative but at 2008 they will need doing. Cheapish deals are available, I picked up a pair of Maxxis for my ZZR brand new for £95 (supply only and fitted myself).

In reality it’s going to need a few hundred quid spending minimum and that’s doing the work yourself. Having it done by someone else is more likely £500.

I guess you can only decide but as we’re already in July it’s likely they’ll be some cheaper deals come the autumn. Having said that and as already mentioned, really cheap bikes don’t seem to come up any more. My winter ZZR600 was £800 a 18 months ago but needed tyres, brake pads, suspension rollers and a few other bits which soon adds a few hundred £. For the price I was happy and after converting to standard bars I’m really happy with it. Could still do with a new rear shock though. For a ‘93 600 it’s quite impressive!

« Last Edit: 03 July 2020, 07:36:32 pm by Trebus »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2020, 08:21:01 pm »
You are going to need to spend £500 (doing it yourself) minimum, possibly up to £700 if you pay someone else to do the work that needs doing and thats not even looking at the cosmetic stuff or the nice to do (new exhaust) stuff

Chain £150-200
Tyres £200
Brake Pipes £100
Service stuff £50-100

I would not pay more than £1000-1200

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again