Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:01 pm

Author Topic: Valve clearances  (Read 1058 times)

markbarker2000

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Valve clearances
« on: 11 June 2020, 08:46:27 pm »
Hi all. My first post on here. I’ve just picked up a 1998 FZS600 which a very clean and tidy bike. I’m hoping to build up some experience and have a go at the mechanics on my own. 

I’m planning to service the bike starting with the valve clearances. Then onto a fuel filter change, plugs, air filter oil, carb balance and coolant flush to get me started.

I’ve been looking for a comprehensive ‘how to’ guide at completing the valve clearances but I’m struggling to find one. I do have a Haynes manual but would prefer something specific to this task including the prep work etc.

I’d speculate some support on this. Based in Sheffield.

Thanks all.
Mark Barker

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Valve clearances
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2020, 05:22:57 am »
Firstly welcome  :)

What's the bikes mileage?  Many don't need doing even at 50k. Have you done clearances on bucket and shim valves before?

The Haynes manual is pretty good to be honest, you could try U tube.  But a word of caution as with everything it's easy when you 'know how' much on Utube is badly filmed and misses large chunks of detail/information out.

Checking the clearances is straightforward, when you know how, but there're pit falls.  Clean the area under the tank, including the frame and the cam cover thoroughly, make sure there's no grit/stones or crap attached to or sitting on the cam cover, make sure you've got a new cam cover gasket, yours could well be original and by now will start being brittle and will either break or not reseal, it's also possible you'll damage the magneto cover gasket too, you need gasket sealant, long feeler gauge of the correct thickness.  You don't need to remove the firing or the radiator, but if you do you will make things easier, that's your choice.

Now if you do find one or more that are out of spec, this is where the fun starts and unless you know exactly what you're doing, with all the right tools I would advise you go any further.  Find someone who does know what they're doing even if it costs you, that can be expensive as it depends on how many need doing and if you need new shims.  You're looking at minimum of around 4hrs work but it can take much longer.       
Later

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2020, 08:13:22 am »
:Agree

You may also find the Yamaha manual in the download section useful if they really need doing but unless your bike is approaching 50k miles, I wouldn't bother as they are almost never in need of doing until then and even then, it is unlikely to be worth the effort on the FZS600 as they rarely need any shims.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

markbarker2000

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2020, 02:16:10 pm »
Hi both,

Thanks for the reply on the post. The bike has covered 23,000K and I know that it is probably not needing to be done. I did buy the bike a s a means to learn and to practice on something that isn't of high value. I have been thinking the same. The reason I was considering doing it too is that it recommends in the Haynes that clearances should be checked prior to a carb balance. I think I will leave it for now and just get on with the other more straight forward servicing I want to do.

It would still be great though if someone were to produce a picture flow and explanation of the process. I have found some cracking ones for things such as the carb balance. I am sure it would be well received by fazer owners as many of these, with such decent engines are racking up the miles.

Thanks again.

Mark
Mark Barker

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2020, 02:35:29 pm »
Hi both,

Thanks for the reply on the post. The bike has covered 23,000K and I know that it is probably not needing to be done. I did buy the bike a s a means to learn and to practice on something that isn't of high value. I have been thinking the same. The reason I was considering doing it too is that it recommends in the Haynes that clearances should be checked prior to a carb balance. I think I will leave it for now and just get on with the other more straight forward servicing I want to do.

It would still be great though if someone were to produce a picture flow and explanation of the process. I have found some cracking ones for things such as the carb balance. I am sure it would be well received by fazer owners as many of these, with such decent engines are racking up the miles.

Thanks again.

Mark

You should always check them, its usual they need doing but possible.  Checking is as described and there's plenty of detail in the Haynes manual for most.  Of course that wouldn't stop you making a pictorial 'how to' that's gives you and possible others the detail you're looking for. 

Look forward to seeing some pictures in the near future :)
Later

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2020, 05:32:36 pm »
The manual is in the downloads section.

Checking the valves also give piece of mind