Date: 02-06-24  Time: 05:20 am

Author Topic: How's your year been?  (Read 2266 times)

peterjca

How's your year been?
« on: 16 December 2012, 06:39:12 pm »
What an interesting, rewarding, challenging and disappointing year I've had. Took a risk last autumn and gave a few months notice to a company I'd only just joined in preference to an embryonic start-up which I joined in January 2012 as its first employee to architect and implement their software ideas from scratch. Spent most of the time working from home (gained many lbs :( ) and got their ideas through a proof-of-concept to a successful prototype. Spent most of my free time on the adventure too. I like a challenge! Prototype successfully demoed in October, loads of interest, definitely more funding coming to the company but not until March/April 2013, so I got the boot since I'd delivered what they needed and they'd no money left :( Now they have to somehow fund turning it into commercial software to prevent losing their homes. (Their business plan wasn't terribly realistic.)

In the three months leading up to being made redundant, the following happened: computer motherboard died and i7 920 (first gen) chip was effectively obsolete -- could not find a compatible motherboard, so extra expense there for new motherboard and chip; phone died so new phone/answer machine; samsung LCD telly died (refused to pick up signal -- borrowed portable worked) so new telly; bathroom and kitchen plumbing leak repairs; unrepairable rear tyre puncture on almost new tyre; kitchen work destroyed some hand-me-down crappy falling-to-bits kitchen cabinets so money spent on trade-discounted Magnet replacements until kitchen is properly redone in two years time.

Really slow jobs market so spent 6 weeks of gardening leave at home, gained even more lbs, but managed to catch up on bike DVDs and mags and sorta get some relaxation now and again. Got addicted to the gentle humour of Man About the House! Had a bizarre interview with a company and managed to severely piss off the head of business (unknowingly in the company car park) by mentioning the company name in public to her (don't ask). Though head of business came crawling back to me a few days later to apologise and chat, offering me a job which I declined.

Landed a new job locally with a small but well-established company doing Java software for telecoms industry.

I'll wait a while now before I decide whether to keep/get rid of FZ1 and (also?) get a Speed Triple. Multiple bikes without a garage isn't ideal though.

Definitely a lot more biking for me in 2013 :)

imax

Top Banana
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: How's your year been?
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2012, 09:05:28 pm »
As a marked difference to the past few years, things have actually got better this year.

Of the two biggest positive changes, first was getting back onto two wheels after a 3 year break following an accident at work, this led to a great week with second eldest daughter (11) learning how to be a good pillion, covering 500 miles in the process. The second was finally getting back to work after the same 3 year break. As the company I worked for went into administration whilst I was still off, and given the current job market, in September I set up my own business (with a realistic business plan!). It's taken a lot of hard work and a fairly steep learning curve, but things are starting to pick up and I'm managing to achieve a much better work/life balance than before - working from home does have a few advantages, despite a few lbs gained too.

Being at home more, also meant more time for social activities, a highlight being spending the weekend at Cadwell for the BSB as part of the First Aid team. Fortunately, there weren't many incidents to deal with, so managed to get a fair bit of race watching done.

And finally, the biggest change, that in reality was no change,  was our family legally expanding from 4 children to 5, after a judge granted us legal custody of our long term foster daughter.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2012, 09:31:32 pm »

And finally, the biggest change, that in reality was no change,  was our family legally expanding from 4 children to 5, after a judge granted us legal custody of our long term foster daughter.

wow, congratulations we're thinking of adopting due to being unable to have a second child.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2012, 09:51:25 pm »
My year, not the best, lost two friends through illness, parted from my girlfriend, very little work has come in this year so my pension fund is reducing, but apart from that I'm still here the rest of my family are ok, and many people would gladly swap places with me.
My aim in 2013 is to buy a classic car and bike not sure what but will have to be pretty basic ones, no goldstars or TFs more like morris 1000 and 350 AJS unless I have a nice win on the premium bonds, now that's a thought?

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2012, 02:10:43 pm »
Moved out of London  :smokin , split up  :'( , got my bike licence  :car  (<- why's there a car but no bike?), taken on more stuff (along with more money) at work  :D  so in general it's been pretty good.

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Torque Monsters Home Page
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2012, 04:02:36 pm »
It was my 50th birthday this year, so it was important to me and my husband that it should be memorable for the right reasons.

The weather hasn't helped. I can't complain, as we haven't suffered from any flooding, but it has been the worst year for biking for quite a while. (I bike for leisure, so I don't generally choose to go out in the rain, though I certainly got caught out a few times this year!)

But we have had some great holidays to celebrate my birthday.

In late February we went to India. I got to cycle round Delhi, see a tiger in the wild and ride an elephant, amongst other things. And I didn't have "Delhi belly" at all. The photos are at http://www.torquemonsters.co.uk/indiaheader.htm

In July we spent a week staying in the grounds of a castle. The photos are at http://www.torquemonsters.co.uk/falmouthp1.htm

And then in September we went to China. I walked on the Great Wall and saw the Terracotta Warriors and some giant pandas, amongst other things. The photos are at http://www.torquemonsters.co.uk/chinap1.htm

Other than that, things have been fairly stable. I'm still working as a freelance copy editor from home, which is as good a way to earn money as any, I think. At least my sole client is seemingly unaffected by the recession and I can always find as much work as I want to do. It's my choice, on a day to day basis, how much work I feel like doing. It takes a bit of self-discipline, but it works well for me. I've still got my lovely 2010 FZ1. I think that it's the ideal bike for me right now, and I have no plans to change it any time soon.

I finally gave in and joined Facebook in May, as it's the best way to stay in touch with young relatives, apart from anything else. I also got my first iPad last month, as we'd had a minor windfall and the husband wanted to buy me a present. I love it and will be able to take it with me when we go bike touring.

As for 2013, we already have two holidays booked. We're staying in the grounds of Dover Castle for a week in March (my birthday) and then we're taking the bikes to Normandy in September. I booked the ferry crossings and the gite a couple of weeks ago while Brittany Ferries had an early booking offer with 20% off.

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Torque Monsters Home Page
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2013, 04:21:30 pm »
We've now put a review of our year together, it's at 2012 - A year of Travelling

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2013, 04:42:13 pm »
My year hasn't been fantastic, mostly bad with a few brief highlights. Initially broke up with a girlfriend, then I put on loads of weight while stressing about university finals, my dad died aged 55 the day before the operation that may have saved his life, I went to Amsterdam, I finally graduated with 1st class honors, I moved out of my mums house, i lost over 4 stone in weight via dieting, the pay raise I was promised didn't happen, I burned down the garage at my new place including my Fazer and all my tools and then hear we are at 2013...

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2013, 05:13:38 pm »
It's only the 17th so early days yet  :pokefun

Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2013, 07:45:00 pm »
I burned down the garage at my new place including my Fazer and all my tools and then hear we are at 2013...
What better way to start the year than getting a replacement?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2013, 09:05:36 pm »
Precisely, let's hope 2013 is my year ;)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2013, 08:28:55 am »
we could argue that this year is the first year of the new world   :) ...as the mayans reckoned the old one ended in december......then I woke up, saw cameroons smug face on tv and realised...no its groundhog day all over again. !  :\

I think his comments " we must prepare for more bad news" just about sums up this awful government !

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2013, 11:24:57 am »
2013...so far have finished all the service jobs on thou...including change of fork oil & strip,inspect & regrease steering head bearings, rear suspension pivot & swingarm. Have been putting off decorating jobs in house but treated rust on base of radiators prior to repainting.
Finally cleared off outstanding balance on credit card ( immediately after buying Fazer the fridge/freezer failed followed by the TV & soon after that the desktop PC!)
Plans for this year include getting more exercise,maintaining present weight,riding the bike as much as possible,hopefully with friend who has got to take his module 2 as soon as the weather picks up.
Its snowing like crazy ouitside today so catching up with indoor jobs-am going to wash & reproof bike jacket & trousers & clean inside of helmet.
Looking forward to receiving state pension in a couple of weeks-i will try not to spend it all at once!
Roll on Spring sunshine & nice dry tarmac :lol

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 January 2013, 11:59:34 am »
the new year was looking good, job opportunities were slowly opening up for a very good move to aa new employer, then last tuesday present employer anounced place to close with the loss of all jobs, this came two days after some redundancies! job opportunities not available until JUNE, so not a good start o and dont qualify for a redundancy payout :\
if it aint broke, try harder!

Jc72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 January 2013, 12:31:34 pm »
Being a dad for the first time at 40 to my beautiful daughter, BIG life changer, best described as horrifically wonderful,  :lol  and had the results of a cancer scare this week and I ain't got it :thumbup  oh and was given a 2003 fox eye fazer 600, the day I joined this club/forum

Sp pretty darn good  :D
Some songs are very very long, but this one isn't !