Date: 02-06-24  Time: 18:41 pm

Author Topic: Weird Noises / Front Sprocket Troubles  (Read 5207 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Noises / Front Sprocket Troubles
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2014, 05:51:13 am »
Are the pads "cheap" or very metallic ?

Binding brakes means the pistons are not returning properly from the disc-face, or into the caliper, once you've let the brakes off.

This could be the pads sticking on the pins, but if you've cleaned and lubricated these, then I'd suggest the pistons are the problem - probably built up dried grunge around them (might have got into the seals as well). Personally, I'd do a proper caliper overhaul, taking the pistons out and cleaning the up (fitting new seals as well) - it's easy, doesn't take too long and doesn't cost too much.
As said above. The blue-spots are excellent brakes when properly maintained but in order for them to work free & easy its vital to have the pistons clean & free to move in & out. A complete strip & clean & if it were me a set of new seals should sort the problem. Its a good idea to lightly smear some red rubber brake grease around the seal edges/outer reaches of brake pistons-this helps movement & acts as a seal against dirt & wet. If your brake pad pins are dirty/corroded cleaning them & using some copper grease will help the pads move freely.

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Noises / Front Sprocket Troubles
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2014, 08:20:47 am »
I had a binding front brake issue about 9 years ago.

I concluded that it was because I'd put the wrong brake fluid in when I bled the system.

And the wrong brake fluid affected the seals which in turn stopped them acting like a spring to back the piston off when you release the brake.

In any event I replaced the seals put the right brake fluid in and it's been o.k. since.