Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 400 and other models

400/600 exhaust

(1/2) > >>

Billy Sprocket:
Does anyone know the outside diameter of a 98-03 FZS600 exhaust where it fits into the head? I need a new set of headers for my 400 and I'm trying to work out if the 600 ones will fit before buying them. I've seen all the usual 'same bike' and 'same head' stuff and I don't believe it for a second, there are so many subtle differences on that bike and most 600 parts don't seem to fit which is infuriating, and even the Yamaha parts department couldn't tell me.
Please help me before i take a sledgehammer to it :)

unfazed:
The exhausts gaskets on both have the same part number 3YF-14613-01-00,  therefore one would expect the downpipes  fitting into the head to be the same on both.
I  can check in the morning as I have an old set of 600 downpipes in the garage

Billy Sprocket:
Thanks I'd really appreciate it, I've already wasted too much money on parts that don't fit. Should've bought a 600 :P

unfazed:
The external diameter of the pipe which fits into the cylinder is 42.25mm.
What parts did you buy that didn't fit??

Billy Sprocket:
Now i think about it, I'm pretty sure it's just the crash bars that didn't fit. Had a lot of trouble getting sprockets for it which seemed odd, and the Haynes manual for the 600 isn't much good, but mostly i just don't buy parts because it's 50/50 whether it not they'll fit and i can't afford the risk.
Thanks for the help by the way, my shiny new stainless exhaust arrived today and after a few hours of hurting myself and swearing loudly it's all done and looks great :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version