Date: 22-05-24  Time: 13:54 pm

Author Topic: Controversial Topic  (Read 10521 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Controversial Topic
« on: 13 September 2013, 02:59:52 pm »
Well we all know that the Fazers are good all around bikes, but I thought I'd go out and ask a properly damnable question - what, if anything, are you all planning on getting next, and why?

The next bike I'll be having will either be either another late model ZX9R (2000-2004), or an early GSX-R1000 (same years), funds allowing.
I miss the acceleration and handling of a proper liter sports bike, yet both of these bikes are more than comfy (for me at least, the 9 I imagine pretty much for anyone) and have enough luggage options and tank range that mean I'll still be able to do long distance riding. I think the only real downer will be the pillion provision won't be as good, but then in fairness that's not exactly that much of a surprise!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
Re: Controversial Topic
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2013, 03:14:16 pm »
When my 600 gives up the ghost I'll probably look at a Ducati Hyperstrada (£££) or a Triumph Tiger Sport.

Don't REALLY want to have another sports bike, they were fun but my licence is point free right now

One of my neighbours has a VFR 1200 which looks lots of fun, no clutch or gear lever, 3 automatic modes for gear change

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2013, 03:23:08 pm »
Something like a Blackbird.  Borrowed one for 3 weeks and loved it.  I'll either get one to go with my Fazer, or if that expires of gets smashed, then to replace it.  The Fazer will never be sold as it's worth cock all.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2013, 04:13:01 pm »
+1 for the Blackbird as well... forgot to mention that one

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2013, 04:39:21 pm »
As mentioned elsewhere, I was looking at the Triumph Sprint 1050 ST as an additional bike for fun whilst keeping the Fazer for loading up with luggage etc when needed.

I'm still thinking about it, but maybe next year...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2013, 05:30:06 pm »
Once the fz1 gets retired/sold, its time for a complete change. Possibly a cruiser for dawdling about, and some kind of 600/800 sports streetfighter stylee for getting my kicks.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2013, 05:38:15 pm »
i'll probably get a versys.  oh, just remembered, i've got one!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2013, 06:08:28 pm »
Actually a Blackbird is probably the only other bike on my "possibly" list - love the look and the reputation, only thing that would put me off a bit is just how bloody big they are! Be lovely on the motorways, I would imagine less so on the twisties!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2013, 06:37:50 pm »
Big bikes !!!! :eek

i dont get it with you lot loving those big bikes, like bulky,heavy.

A bloke brought his Busa to Italy, we had to wheel the bikes backwards out of the garage in the mornings, well what a palava with the Busa,,so bloody long and awkward,a mate rides out with us on his 1400zxr kwak, its a bit like a ship.He does not feel comfortable keeping up with us,Fz1s and Gsxr 750 on the twisties.

I value the ease of moving the Fazer , weight and size will always be at the forefront on any bike i buy.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2013, 07:35:34 pm »
Ah, but the name,,, Blackbird! Appeals to a certain generation and actually looks as good today as it did when it was launched.

(think SR-71)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2013, 07:36:53 pm »

Sorry, last photo was pointlessly big,,,

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2013, 07:38:59 pm »
Anybody care to point out that black is slow?... :lol

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2013, 07:41:27 pm »
Never seen one painted hi viz with reflecting stripes   :lol

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2013, 07:53:29 pm »
not my cup of tea

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
Controversial Topic
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2013, 08:25:34 pm »
Anybody care to point out that black is slow?... :lol
They do a fast model too...

It's the way everything is so effortless that I like about it. It's also pretty easy to filter on although not as comfy around town as the fzs due to the seating position.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2013, 08:40:07 pm by Lawrence »

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2013, 08:55:31 pm »
Apart from the height / knee issue I'm having I'm actually looking forward to having a LESS powerful bike than my fazer 600, so I too don't get all of this super uber mega bike lark. Especially down here on the fantastically surfaced (sarcasm) devon roads, riding about under the watchful eye of the law with some dunce pulling out on you left right and centre. At least if you drop a supermoto, sure it sucks but its not the end of the world. If I dropped something like a hayabusa (I prefer the GSX1400) I would be distraught. I couldn't imagine just popping down to spar on a hayabusa either but I've always been anti sport bikes and my mates all think I'm an old man so maybe I'm the weird one. Oh and in answer to the OP I'm looking at something like a CCM 644 dual sport, KLX 650, MZ Baghira or Husqvarna 610 as my next bike  :)

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2013, 09:00:21 pm »
Would love to be able to afford a Tiger but for now my 99 Fazer is enough for an old guy.

Caretaker: Hows the Versys?? Is it a tad underpowered being a twin anall? Seen the ER6 which in effect is the same motor in a smaller frame so does that compromise some ooomph ??

Ta Buck

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 September 2013, 09:01:02 pm »
After I kill this bike I shall probably go for another Thundercat, does anything and everything and is just as comfy for my weekly thousand miles, just has that tiny bit more power than the fzs600!
Some say...

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 September 2013, 09:12:58 pm »
I had a bird for 2 years before my beloved Fazer...got to admit its the most awesome enginenI have ever ridden, but it is heavy, I couldn't move it, had to get my OH to shift it around (one of the reasons it had to go) it really is a touring bike, personally I don't think it's great for twisties but mates that have them recon it me, hate to admit it but it's not a bike for a girl let alone a granny lol  :rolleyes
If I had to choose something else now it would have to be Z1000SX  :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 September 2013, 09:28:32 pm »
I honestly have no idea... I'm still fairly fresh to this whole biking world and would end up going on the recommendations of others really

Bar a Gen 1 thou, I think I would potentially look at a triple - bit more torque without completely compromising top end - or at least that's as far as I understand it :\

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 September 2013, 09:32:18 pm »
MT 09. It just catches my eye, ticks all my boxes for the kind of riding I do now, and its different to the last few bikes I've owned. And a good price for a brand new bike. And looks like it might be quite nuts.  :b
Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 September 2013, 09:58:33 pm »
Still loving this

Have replaced that can with a more conventional carbon stubby though

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 September 2013, 10:47:55 pm »
MT 09. It just catches my eye, ticks all my boxes for the kind of riding I do now, and its different to the last few bikes I've owned. And a good price for a brand new bike. And looks like it might be quite nuts.  :b

Me too. I'm seriously liking those bikes right now.

Either that or a DiBlasi for the novelty.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 September 2013, 11:31:41 pm »
+3

From what I've read it sounds really appealing... unfortunately there's something about its looks that doesn't quite sit right with me...

But here's some blasphemy, I've always thought that cars are prettier anyways  :evil

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 September 2013, 12:20:32 am »
Big bikes !!!! :eek

i dont get it with you lot loving those big bikes, like bulky,heavy.

A bloke brought his Busa to Italy, we had to wheel the bikes backwards out of the garage in the mornings, well what a palava with the Busa,,so bloody long and awkward,a mate rides out with us on his 1400zxr kwak, its a bit like a ship.He does not feel comfortable keeping up with us,Fz1s and Gsxr 750 on the twisties.

I value the ease of moving the Fazer , weight and size will always be at the forefront on any bike i buy.
A lot of people that can't ride properly get the same hang up with big bikes so I can see where you are coming from. The Busa is a heap of shite apart from a straight line so understand that too, and it seems the owner can't ride either so he is wasting his time. The Fazer 600 is a far better bike than the thou to be sure as it is nimble, with decent bars, and can be both a commuter and scratcher and fantastic when you are in the mood and with decent tyres. That is to say NOT BT45s.

I reckon the Bird can be hustled with the best of them, the most usable hyperbike, it's like a big twist and go I understand. A bit of a long reach to the bars but a great sports tourer, at least that's what the rest of the world seems to think.

Some riders cannot get the best out of any bike and waste their money on penile extension and then look like wankers being overtaken and outridden by Fazer 600 riders, I love baiting big bikes on the 5DM.

I think the Bird is 223kg kerb weight, heavy ys, but not heavy like my XS1100E, the Fazer thou is no lightweight and shows that in the poor handling unless modified. The 600 is spot on but my 600 with me on is heavier than a Bird or ZX12R with a less than bloaty rider too :D

Like implied, a lot of people diss that which they cannot understand and obviously it's the bikes fault if they can't ride it as they are riding Gods. Not.

Still opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, and this is just my opinion. I am sure there are much more experienced and better rider and KAFAs that know better than me.