Date: 01-05-24  Time: 14:29 pm

Author Topic: Electrical Issue..  (Read 1174 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Electrical Issue..
« on: 01 September 2015, 11:36:55 am »
On my dad's 2003 foxeye.

Basically as he's riding long, the clocks will flick off and back on again relatively frequently (say once a minute or so). Both needles drop, any indicator lights on flash off, and then it'll come back online again. Bike continues to run just fine during it, its literally just the clocks playing around it seems.

Any ideas where to start?

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical Issue..
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2015, 02:35:46 pm »
Try borrowing a set of clocks and try them, if problem persists you'll have ruled out the clocks.
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Pickle

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2015, 04:14:57 pm »
When the bike is at rest and engine running try putting the lights and full beam on and seeing if the clocks drop out, if so it might be a dodgy connection, bad earth, corroded connector block or wire breaking down. Also whilst at rest try turning the handlebars from full left lock to full right lock and back again slowly and see if the clocks drop out.

If none of the above does anything it sounds like it might be the clocks or connectors to them.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2015, 08:47:31 pm »
I'd take disconnect and clean the big connector on the back of the clocks and the one in the black box under the tank first

osiris

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2016, 04:30:51 am »
dont know if this got solved but i have exact same problem.

my mechanic looked into it but couldn't sort the problem,but investigating he found that the starter circuit cut off relay wasn't fully working,he suggested buying a brand new  :eek  one in case a secondhand one was defective too.

he isn't sure that this will fix it but it needs to be replaced anyway!if it doesn't fix it at least it rules this line of investigation out.
he checked all the wiring for breaks or shorts ,so we will have to wait till it turns up and is fitted.

oh and i got home with my headlights staying but my tail light was out although the brake light still functioned!good job it was 3am and a quick five mile dash up the road :rolleyes

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2016, 05:46:44 pm »
I think the clocks have their own voltage regulator built in to them as the need a smoother voltage than the rest of the bike.  It sounds like it might be on the way out but as a first go check all the connectors are clean and give them a spray with your favourite magic spray.