Date: 01-05-24  Time: 14:50 pm

Author Topic: Heated Grips and Tape  (Read 1333 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Heated Grips and Tape
« on: 19 December 2013, 06:04:29 pm »
Hey guys,

Sure it was on here that I read about it, but I can't seem to find it in the search box!

My Oxford hot grips, although hot, have always noticably been hotter on the throttle side, which I thought was just part and parcel of the heated grips. Seem to remember someone saying though that the cause was the non-throttle side being on the bare bar, which conducts the heat away a lot faster than the plastic throttle grip, meaning that side gets holder. He then went on to say that he overcame this by sticking some kind of tape on the bar before putting the grips on? Does anyone have any idea what I'm on about? I think I remember it bheing called "insulation tape", is this some kind of heat specific one, or is it like electrical insulation tape (or are they the same?)

Cheers!

(I've had enough of a slightly cool left hand and a slightly too hot right hand on max settings, so if I can get the l;eft up I can have the grips on 75% and be perfectly happy!)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Heated Grips and Tape
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2013, 11:36:35 pm »
Hiya fella,

That was me posting about why the left hand grip is cooler than the right. You're right in what you're saying - when I fitted them to my Tiger I wrapped insulation tape (electrical tape) tightly over the left hand side. You need a couple of tight overlapping tape runs (left to right etc) to build up a decent barrier. I've got equal heat both sides.

Make sure you buy decent electrical tape from the likes of Screwfix or  Wholesale fittings etc (pucker electrical shop). Don't buy the Robert Dyas shite or the "3 rolls for 25p" from your corner shop.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.   
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2013, 09:55:46 am »
As much as I would love to do this, stripping down the grips isn't something I want to do :(

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2013, 10:28:00 am »
As much as I would love to do this, stripping down the grips isn't something I want to do :(

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh go on, it's Xmas  :lol   Won't take you long  :pokefun

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2013, 02:48:35 pm »

Piece of piss, assuming you didn't completely cover them in superglue? I tend to put enough glue on mine so that if I want to swap them from bike to bike, I can twist hard, and the glue will come undone!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2013, 10:31:16 pm »
I didn't originally fit them so I have no idea what state they are in :P

Also, the elements fitted are separate from the grips - these http://www.bikes.me/motorcycle-grips/20236-symtec-heat-demon-motorcycle-grip-heaters.html

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2013, 12:57:25 am »
I didn't originally fit them so I have no idea what state they are in :P

Also, the elements fitted are separate from the grips - these http://www.bikes.me/motorcycle-grips/20236-symtec-heat-demon-motorcycle-grip-heaters.html

They look like a complete and utter non-starter! Touch them once and forget it i reckon.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2013, 01:09:55 am »
Well the throttle one is working pretty well and is nice and toasty :) Just need to get some warmth on the clutch side...

To be honest, I don't use the bike enough in the winter for it to be a significant problem. Without proper winter gear (shocking I know), the rest of me usually freezes before my hands :P