Date: 30-04-24  Time: 10:06 am

Author Topic: Tyre pressures  (Read 4794 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Tyre pressures
« on: 05 March 2017, 10:28:20 pm »
so I pick my bike up the other day after having the front springs changed to hagon progressives, so the guy says to me oh your tyre pressures were really low so we did those for you.
So handling mucho improved i went out today and front seemed a bit vague so I think maybe it's got a slow leak hence the low pressures at the garage... so I go to the petrol garage compressor and turns out they've put 44psi front and 48psi back !!!
Sooo I put them back to 36 and 39 as per manual and it rode like it got flat tyres , dodgy compressor gauge me thinks so go to next garage and yup it was right so I put 44 and 48 back in and it's improved again.
44 and 48 seems too high and so do I keep them or drop them back ? They are metzeler tyres so would that make a difference, anyone else got or had similar ???

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre pressures
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2017, 11:33:16 pm »
IMHO your getting away with it coz its cold gra, personally I run 36 42, always have done, or 30 36 on a track day, but that's a general year round thing, if yours are that high they may well be fine because they ain't getting that hot this time of year, but then again what the hell do I know I'm just a brickie, the fellers who done your suspendies are the experts  :)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2017, 11:49:58 pm »
Cheers Ogri , if I'm honest I'm not sure they should be that high I think I'll do a bit more research, maybe metzeler recommend those pressures ? Or maybe the tyres are crap , I've never rated metzeler tyres but the last set I had was about 30 years ago on a 350lc and as these were on the bike New when I bought it i thought I'd give em a chance before I put T30's on it.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2017, 06:15:45 am »
I'm running 37 in the front and 43 in the rear. Metzler Z6's, 16 1/2 stone rider with Givi panniers on. Standard suspension.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2017, 07:43:27 am »

Personally I wouldn't and don't trust petrol station / public use gauges. A couple of pounds buys a gauge, it will be accurate enough for everyday road use and, crucially, will be consistent! A foot pump is not too much money either, meaning pressures can be applied at home. A worthwhile investment seeing as tyres are critical.
is it clean enough?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2017, 10:51:03 am »
IMHO your getting away with it coz its cold gra, personally I run 36 42, always have done, or 30 36 on a track day, but that's a general year round thing, if yours are that high they may well be fine because they ain't getting that hot this time of year, but then again what the hell do I know I'm just a brickie, the fellers who done your suspendies are the experts  :)

Hey Ogri, not just a brickie. you mean your proud to be a brickie.
Started my apprenticeship in 1962, worked for that company until I was 21years old and went Self Employed what was then called 'The Lump' worked most of my working life on the sites chasing the £ and loved every minute of it.
The crack is good the piss taking never ending and for the best part the days flew by.
I worked with a small team of guys in the end building one off bespoke houses and extensions and hard landscaping, the guys who ran the team was a mate I had worked with years and years before we called him 'Wildplum' if you saw one of the corners he built you would know why, but he was the best organiser I have ever met and if there was a problem he worked out a way to get around it, even to the point one time he advised a firm of London Architects how to construct a home with a swimming pool half in and half out of the house using cantilevers.
But as I said we tried to keep him off the tools, at one point we had some iron fighters on site and we got one of them to weld his trowel to a 12 foot steel scaffold tube that stopped his game.
Brickies are important people in society we build the most expensive thing that anyone will ever purchase in the entire lives, and then they trust us to come back and build extensions on them.
Hold you head high Ogri your a HOME BUILDER.

Now! Muck and Bullets or Pug Up, and don't forget the f------g wall ties. :eek Rodney F-----g Roughhouse.   

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2017, 04:40:56 pm »
I can not believe  44 front and 48 back can be right. I know  from experience  that low pressure  in the front  is riding  a barage,  I have Bridgestone 21, 36 front 40 rear set with accurate  gauge.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2017, 05:51:53 pm »
Thanks for the replies , even metzeler tech data info says same as Yamaha 2.5 bar and 2.9 bar 36/42psi ( load and speed ) and upon closer inspection of the Yamaha manual it says it came factory fresh with metzeler rubber on it so imo there shouldn't be any differing of pressures due to different from O/E tyres
Going to buy a new compressor/gauge and take it from there. I've got a foot pump already but the gauge is out by about 3-4 psi so i never use that to check pressures.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2017, 06:13:33 pm »
Same a Ricky 36 psi Front 40 psi rear if I am solo, 42 rear if two up.
Mind you my Mrs is a couple of stone lighter than that racing snake that gets in here most days.
You know the one? he lives at 'Sharp Manor' :lol

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2017, 07:18:28 pm »

Hey Ogri, not just a brickie. you mean your proud to be a brickie.
Started my apprenticeship in 1962, worked for that company until I was 21years old and went Self Employed what was then called 'The Lump' worked most of my working life on the sites chasing the £ and loved every minute of it.
The crack is good the piss taking never ending and for the best part the days flew by.
I worked with a small team of guys in the end building one off bespoke houses and extensions and hard landscaping, the guys who ran the team was a mate I had worked with years and years before we called him 'Wildplum' if you saw one of the corners he built you would know why, but he was the best organiser I have ever met and if there was a problem he worked out a way to get around it, even to the point one time he advised a firm of London Architects how to construct a home with a swimming pool half in and half out of the house using cantilevers.
But as I said we tried to keep him off the tools, at one point we had some iron fighters on site and we got one of them to weld his trowel to a 12 foot steel scaffold tube that stopped his game.
Brickies are important people in society we build the most expensive thing that anyone will ever purchase in the entire lives, and then they trust us to come back and build extensions on them.
Hold you head high Ogri your a HOME BUILDER.

Now! Muck and Bullets or Pug Up, and don't forget the f------g wall ties. :eek Rodney F-----g Roughhouse.   
:)  I am proud of it buddy in truth after all it's a very old profession and you gotta love it we got the same motto as prostitutes " no lay, no pay"

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2017, 01:00:40 pm »
lol! I love it