Date: 18-05-24  Time: 16:05 pm

Author Topic: coil problem  (Read 1226 times)

steve upton

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX-9R
    • View Profile
coil problem
« on: 15 October 2012, 09:47:41 pm »
Went to work on bike last  Monday all good. Went to ride home and no start. AA man comes out quick check, both coils packed up. Ordered new coils off flea-bay fitted on Saturday all good again. Only did about 20 miles over the weekend on 2 short trips. Rode to work this morning fine went to leave tonight and no start. whipped off no.1 plug cap earthed it to engine turned her over and no spark. So my bike is eating coils the question to everyone out there please is does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Oh yes journey to work is 43 miles so coils lasted about 60miles :'( Thankyou in anticipation

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: coil problem
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2012, 10:19:04 pm »
Are you sure it is the coils that are broken? If you have a multimeter they're fairly easy to check.
I recently had intermittent loss of sparks from both coils which turned out to be the harness at the back of the bike, a wire had chafed through convincing the CDI that the bike was being stolen. :lol

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2012, 12:23:39 am »

Check battery. Even if it's good enough to turn starter motor that doesn't mean it's good enough to make a spark.

Check earth connections to frame are free from corrosion etc.

Check resistance on all relevant wires using multi-meter.

Some handy vids showing how to do these and other electrical tests here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2C0BB668B3105E5B&feature=plcp

Hope this helps, Andy.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2012, 12:42:52 am »
Dud battery possibly, or not charging properly, i'd start with the obvious and give it a good charge.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2012, 11:34:44 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2012, 08:00:16 pm »
Make sure any connectors are clean and tight, and the wiring is intact. Heat, vibration and chemical attack isn't good for them. Don't know how old your battery is, but at a guess if it's turning over I'd say it's OK.