Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:19 am

Author Topic: oil jets in crankcase  (Read 1208 times)

pitstop.pen10

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - triumph tiger 1050. xjr 1300
    • View Profile
oil jets in crankcase
« on: 27 October 2020, 02:06:09 pm »
Hi
I'm just putting in an endless cam chain and noticed that my Fazer has only one oil jet in the crankcase. In the haynes manual it seems to suggest that there are two. I dislodged another jet which is a closed nozzle with a spring and ball bearing which seems to fit on the right side of the crankcase parallel with the other oil jet. Both openings for these jets are slightly different.
Can anyone help please. Before i put the puzzle back together. I'd be very obliged.
Thanks
Pen

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: oil jets in crankcase
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2020, 04:24:58 pm »
Oil jets?

Are you referring to the oil pressure relief valve? If so there's only one and it screws in you can't dislodge it, not unless you've snapped it off which would take a bit of doing. 

Pictures would help?   
Later

pitstop.pen10

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2020, 08:23:49 pm »
Oil jets?

Are you referring to the oil pressure relief valve? If so there's only one and it screws in you can't dislodge it, not unless you've snapped it off which would take a bit of doing. 

Pictures would help?

No they are called the oil jets they are removable, one has a small rubber gasket ring that gets pushed into the crankcase the other has no ring but just a small spring and ball bearing that is pushed into the crankcase. they are about 1"" long. they stick out towards the studs but are below on the body of the casing. I will try and upload a photo.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2020, 08:32:01 am »
I will try and upload a photo.

Please do
Later

pitstop.pen10

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2020, 12:14:00 pm »

Panic over. I've found the problem. One of the oil jets managed to separate itself when the crankcase was parted. Im lucky that it fell on to the bench so the tiny spring and ball bearing were not lost. I have now put it back together and relocated it in the casing. Now i've got two jets that look the same.
I've not dismantled an inline four before only a v twin so its a learning experience.
Thanks for your help anyway.
Pen

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2020, 02:45:17 pm »
Mate where in the Haynes manual does it refer to these "oil jets" in the crankcase?  I've lost count of how many FZS600 engines I've stripped, I've never seen an oil jet with a spring and ball bearing.  I've seen 'oil pressure relief valve' which does have a spring and ball bearing in it, but there's only one.

I'm seriously curious and interested can you either post where it refers to oil jets or post some pictures please.

Later

pitstop.pen10

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2020, 03:44:55 pm »
Mate where in the Haynes manual does it refer to these "oil jets" in the crankcase?  I've lost count of how many FZS600 engines I've stripped, I've never seen an oil jet with a spring and ball bearing.  I've seen 'oil pressure relief valve' which does have a spring and ball bearing in it, but there's only one.

I'm seriously curious and interested can you either post where it refers to oil jets or post some pictures please.

Hi

Haynes manual section 2.27 figure 15.14a and fig 15.14b oil jets arrowed. one of them had separated from the pronged bit and inside is a ball bearing and spring. So all i could see was one half of it.
Hope this makes sense. I've got a photo and will download it later if you would like. I have got them both back together and in the right place now.   

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2020, 04:13:36 pm »
Oh got you now, you mean oil nozzles  :)  yes there's 2 of them.   Sorry I don't use Haynes manuals just Yam workshop, different terminology  ;)

If it fell out that would suggest the oil ring has gone brittle, which could be a sign of overheating, due to crap, low or no oil, they as a rule don't fall out.   
« Last Edit: 28 October 2020, 04:15:19 pm by Gnasher »
Later

pitstop.pen10

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2020, 04:32:42 pm »
Oh got you now, you mean oil nozzles  :)  yes there's 2 of them.   Sorry I don't use Haynes manuals just Yam workshop, different terminology  ;)

If it fell out that would suggest the oil ring has gone brittle, which could be a sign of overheating, due to crap, low or no oil, they as a rule don't fall out.

The bit with the oil ring was still in the crankcase but the end bit had came away which is weird as its a tight fit now so it was just the end bit the metal body against metal body. If you look at it, it doesn't even look like it would separate. trust me to be awkward.
Thanks for your reply though. The oil rings seem fine. As I say they were both still in the crankcase. i was just looking at the inside bit of one of them. 
I will order a couple though to be on the safe side. Thanks for the heads up.
Pen
« Last Edit: 28 October 2020, 04:35:09 pm by pitstop.pen10 »