Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:40 pm

Author Topic: Fazer 8 ABS headlight mod  (Read 17873 times)

myfazer8

• CBT Wobbler
  • AKA Steve
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • - Fazer 8 ABS
    • View Profile
Fazer 8 ABS headlight mod
« on: 06 April 2012, 02:44:19 pm »
Hi Guys, has anybody managed to do a modification for the dipped headlights on the fazer 8, i have 2011 new bike, took it back to where i got it from as i requested they wire it so both headlights come on dipped when riding, they have done this for me, but have noticed that when the main beam is switched on, the dipped on that side stays on also, is this ok, or will the bulb get too hot., any advice will be helpfull thanks guys :)
Enjoying life, hate the fact that im not getting any younger!!!    Also why is there never anybody in the Chat room, hate talking to myself!

dadlegend

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer 8 ABS headlight mod
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2012, 09:14:51 pm »
I have had three car owners tell me that one of my headlights are out in three weeks !

myfazer8

• CBT Wobbler
  • AKA Steve
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • - Fazer 8 ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2012, 08:35:07 am »
LOL thats why i had this mod done, hopefully it will get sorted when its in for its first service, i dont use main beam so not realy a problem, does look nice with both dipped headlights on  :D
Enjoying life, hate the fact that im not getting any younger!!!    Also why is there never anybody in the Chat room, hate talking to myself!

FazerPete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • - Fazer 8 ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 10:45:26 am »
Can anyone advice how this modification is made? CMC claycross appear "completely in the dark" because no one has mentioned it to them before! The question is is it simply a bulb swap or does it require wiring change as well?  The bike look "odd" with one "blown bulb".
Thanks

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2012, 12:03:14 pm »
All I've done is wired a wire from the left light to a new connector to the light that's not working asthe working light cable will take the 110 watts of both lights job done 20 mins another 30 to put fairing back together lol

FazerPete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • - Fazer 8 ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2012, 01:55:53 pm »
Great.  Sounds like an easy fix to me  :lol .
Cheers  :D

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2012, 09:43:54 pm »
Joining this topic a bit late - but my mate has a second hand FZ1 and both his lights are on in dipped! Do FZ1's do this anyway or has the previous owner done a mod. If 1's do it dealers shouldn't have too much trouble working out how to do it properly  :rolleyes I'm looking for my Fazer8 dipped lights to be sorted at 1st annual service next month (not told them that yet) Hopping for them not to be 'completely in the dark'. I'll let you know.
See Ya

FazerPete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • - Fazer 8 ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2012, 03:40:18 pm »
Not sure but as a history I can tell you that I previously had a FZS600 fox eye model - with the old Thundercat engine on a 2002 plate.  The earlier model (pre fox eye) had the same issue we have with "one eye syndrome" but Yamaha listened to riders and brought out the fox eye version in 2001/2002 with both dipped lights on as standard.  I actually didn't pick up on the fact they went back to old style until I had purchased the bike.  This action completely mystifies me!  When I contacted Clay Cross the service department claimed "no one has ever complained before and lots of bikes only have one dipped headlight on at any time".  My bike is due in for first service at the end of the month.  I don't really want to pay them for work I can do myself but am consious I could end up failing a mot further down the line with a  bloody minded MOT inspector  :\ .  Let us know how you get on.
Cheers       

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2012, 09:08:27 pm »
Sounds like your service is before mine - but will get back to you if I find anything out.
How are you finding the rear shock on your 8? Is mine the only one that's bouncy or am I just too fat  :rolleyes

FazerPete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • - Fazer 8 ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2012, 10:06:34 pm »
I have heard a lot of people making comments about the rear shocks but to be honest I have not really noticed anything too annoying - YET.  Mind you I have not realy had time to take her out for any form of serious ride yet.  Just the standard daily commute to and from the rail station - 20 mile a day.  Likewise I was advised not to take the revs above 6,000 rpm until after the first 600 miles.  Looking forward to seeing what she is really like when the throttle is opened up :-).
Good luck.   

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2012, 03:19:17 pm »
Went into local dealer today and asked about the head light mod. Was told that they would advise it because 1) wiring harness may overheat. 2) the dipped beam spead would be wrong due to the lens and 3) it would fail the mot!

What do you think?

FazerPete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • - Fazer 8 ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2012, 04:37:30 pm »
Difficult to argue against it to be honest.  The only point that has been made by a number of Fazer 8 guys is that if you get the modification carride at the same place you get the Mot it will be difficult for that garage to argue an Mot failure!
My missus has said  the alternative is to ride with full beam on - which does have a certain merrit to make you recognisable and help prevent the SMIDSY brigade!

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2012, 07:00:09 pm »
I agree - the only problem is you piss the the drivers off who do look out for bikes. (like me - queue saintly smile  :evil ) and we all need more of them. Mind you, with someone on the back, i'm lighting up the sky anyway!

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2012, 08:10:27 pm »
Yep bloody suspension should have self leveling lights on

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 June 2012, 05:05:37 pm »
My old BMW R1100S had a lever inside the fairing to manually drop the lights with a pillion on. Low tech but worked a treat. Can't be that expensive or difficult to fit as original equipment!

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 June 2012, 07:50:13 pm »
mmmmm could do with something like that? :lol

FazerPete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • - Fazer 8 ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 June 2012, 05:27:43 pm »
Had the modification done - bye bye £70.  Both lights on when dipped.  On full beam the dipped light goes out.  Have asked about MOT etc.  Can't guarantee it's "legal" but they will be carrying out the MoT anyway - and he said "we'll just take the wire out during MoT and put it back afterwards".
Said the point about the over heating wire is nonsence.  They made a nice job of it.  And the lights look ace  :D

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2012, 08:49:16 pm »
£70 !!!!  :eek  What else did they do?
Has it changed the beam spread so you would notice?
Glad you like it  :) - (seventy quid :'( )

FazerPete

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • - Fazer 8 ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2012, 08:56:17 pm »
They didnt do too much more than I could have done myself to be honest.  They have wired the feed into the loom so it looks nice and tidy. When the main beam is on the dipped goes out rather than both remaining on.  I know - robbery - but it is the price I decided to pay to have peace of mind that it wont fail the dreaded MoT.  They beleive the beam is OK.
It really does look good so recommend you get it done/DIY.

Ed

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 February 2013, 01:17:55 am »
I just bought a new Fazer8 and would like to have twin dip mod done.

I used to own a FZ6 Fazer S2 and bought a little wiring harness from a guy in the states from the FZ6 forum. it utilised empty slots in a conector block under the air box housing and the back of the bulb conector. No wires needed to be cut or soldered. This was a simple but very effective piece of kit and with the instructions provided was an easy DIY job, even for me!

My knowledge of bike electrics and wiring is zero so I was wondering if any of you guys with a bit more technical know-how could tell me if this harnass can be adapted to fit the Fazer8? I'm afraid to mess around with the wiring or cut anything in case I do some damage or set my new bike on fire!

The guy's user name is BD43 also known as biker dude. here are the links on the FZ6 forum with detailed instructions and photos of the process.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/how-tos/1663-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-1-a.html

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/how-tos/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html

I hope this info proves usefull to Fazer8 owners.
All the best. Ed

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2013, 05:57:42 pm »
Must admit I haven't made my mind up yet. Always liked the twin dipped light on the foxeye and Fazer 1, but have been asked by a couple of sports car drivers to put them on dipped as they were so bright when seen in their rear mirrors. (they were on dipped anyway but the drivers thought they were on main beam they were so bright)
I was a bit dissapointed that the 8 only had one light on dipped, but tbh as I don't see it anyway when I'm riding I may leave it. Some other bikes do have a single dipped light, and I haven't  been told I have a bulb out yet, but I guess time will tell.
I guess night riding (which I haven't done yet on this on) may make me change to having both dipped, providing it is legal from MOT viewpoint.
Dunno, Jury is out for me at the mo. :\
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Stormbringer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Main bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 January 2020, 07:52:53 pm »
I converted mine last night .
I used a kit from a guy on eBay .
It looks a very professional job .
It uses the empty plug slots under the airbox and back of the bulb.
Fazer FZ8.
Over Land and Sea

Soonmixdin

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 June 2020, 01:33:55 pm »
I converted mine last night .
I used a kit from a guy on eBay .
It looks a very professional job .
It uses the empty plug slots under the airbox and back of the bulb.
Fazer FZ8.

Hi there, do you have a link you could share to this modification kit? Also, have you taken it through the MOT since fitting it?

Fazers2Stun

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 August 2021, 02:36:19 pm »
Not sure if you've sorted this yet but I found this guy on eBay UK selling the Mod on FZ8 for £20+postage.
I've ordered one today so not fitted it yet but will post back here to say if it works or not. It's arriving in a week of now – [size=78%]05/08/2021[/size]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114922689742

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 September 2021, 06:29:05 pm »
I personally would go the whole hog and replace the headlight bulbs with LED and then link them of the same feed.