Date: 27-04-24  Time: 08:54 am

Author Topic: how much do the center+sidestand need lowering when fitting a lowering kit  (Read 497 times)

mechanical music

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - yamaha xj600 diversion
    • View Profile
need to know how much to remove from center and side stands after fitting lowering kit ie (rear shock dogbone links) the replacment dogbones are 142mm from center of bolt holes long, thanks for any help

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
need to know how much to remove from center and side stands after fitting lowering kit ie (rear shock dogbone links) the replacment dogbones are 142mm from center of bolt holes long, thanks for any help
I have never heard of anyone on here altering the stands after lowering.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mechanical music

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - yamaha xj600 diversion
    • View Profile
i have herd of it alot but cant remember the amount needed to make the stands match as lowering a bike makes the stands to low

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
When I was looking at lowering my FZ6, it was a (fairly) simple bit of maths to calculate this.

Working out the sides of the triangle formed betwen a) the wheelbase line and the side stand and b) the base of the side stand a point on the seat directly above the side stand.

This will let you calculate the lean angle.

Then work out how much shorter the bike will be and you should be able to figure out how much shorter the side stand will need to be to compensate.

Alternatively, there are side stands which have an adjustable length, although I don't know how strong they are.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
The issue with lowering centerstand for example the rear wheel will touch the ground, and cutting and rewelding either stand should be done by a professional.

There is no reason to modify either stand, but if you must see Grahams post above.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2024, 07:27:34 pm by b1k3rdude »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Standard length dog bones are 140mm from centre hole to centre hole, will it really make that much of a difference altering them by only 2mm?  :look
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.