Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:57 pm

Author Topic: R6 forks?  (Read 2698 times)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
R6 forks?
« on: 01 May 2013, 02:01:40 am »
Being part Japanese & bilingual I sometimes get drawn into watching motorcycle related vids from Japan on youtube. As if there aren't enough English videos out there to waste my time on already. Stumbled across this:

FZS600レーシーなカスタム、解説02.AVI

Very interesting FZS600, lots of custom work.

Anyway, he has fitted a 2002 R6 front end - anybody know more? Anybody tried different forks on the Fazer 600 without resorting to major surgery?
« Last Edit: 01 May 2013, 02:02:53 am by Fuzzy »

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
Re: R6 forks?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2013, 08:21:34 am »
I have 4xv r1 forks.  Got as far as getting all the bits, yokes, thunderace wheel, r1 mudguard. All that needed done was taking the stem from the fazer and implanting it into r1 yokes.
Problem is the speedo sensor is at the front wheel and is part of the TPS wiring set up so if you remove it you bugger up your revs. Nobody has yet found a fix to it as far as I can tell (haven't watched video yet) and it would take an auto electrician of far greater cooking skills than me to figure it oot
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2013, 08:27:19 am »
Thats a heavy cash load spent on the humble wee fazer

His front has the speedo dog included but I don't know if thats because its the same wheel or if its cos he found (or paid someone for) a fix. Either way, tasty wee bike.
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2013, 08:50:32 am »
Whats the inner diameter of the speed sensor? Can it be bored out & still work (I assume so if its still in place in that video)
I'm wondering how he fitted the larger diameter R1/R6/Fazer 1000 wheel spindle through it - crack that problem & you could all fit R6 forks.....

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2013, 09:24:43 am »
Holy sheiiite he's spent some money on that bike! Why on earth didnt he just buy an R6 and put a comfort kit on it????? (Fazer 400 maybe???)
I certainly wouldn't be riding it with only 3 screws holding the front disks on! :eek ! Every respect to him for building it, but I think his heart has ruled his head on it.

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2013, 09:26:14 am »
Lovin the gaffer tape on the radiator :-)

How can this be cost effective in time and Money ? wouldn't you rather just sell up and buy a thou instead ?

I guess I don't get this modding thing. Tis like buying a Ford focus 1.6 and spending a fortune modding it vs buying a second hand focus ST.

Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2013, 09:51:42 am »
Take a look at this, more info & pics here.

http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~ys4031/cusutom.fzs600red.html

I will read through it to see if there's any more interesting info to be had. As for the wheels, they seem to be Marchesini wheels for the TZ250.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2013, 10:26:15 am »
See here for his other bikes incl a couple of FZ1s:

http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~ys4031/custom.top.html

He seems to know what he's doing and has done most of the work himself. It's unusual for anybody in Japan to have a FZS600 as they were, as far as I know, never sold there with only the 400 & thou available. The licensing system over there basically means that there is no market for 600cc bikes. Definitely a heart over head thing. He must be a bit eccentric, mind you spending lots of money can't be much of a concern for him judging by the number of bikes he has :lol

As for the TPS, he says something like he "machined it to be thinner". I've never actually taken the TPS off myself to get a good look at it so its difficult to say, but I think he's referring to increasing the inner diameter - ie I reckon its basically what Kebab19 said, he bored it out.

As for the wheels, they are TZ250 Marchesini rims with spacers he made himself. I think the choice of wheel is a cosmetic thing and not of particular significance.

Does this mean that a front end conversion might be possible? Maybe its time to start experimenting with the TPS unit....
« Last Edit: 01 May 2013, 10:36:54 am by Fuzzy »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2013, 11:35:42 am »

How can this be cost effective in time and Money ? wouldn't you rather just sell up and buy a thou instead ?

I guess I don't get this modding thing. Tis like buying a Ford focus 1.6 and spending a fortune modding it vs buying a second hand focus ST.

Modding is great fun, if you have the money for it ;)

At the end of the day you end up with a one of a kind and its all from your hard work - its something to be proud of :)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2013, 11:57:02 am »

Modding is great fun, if you have the money for it ;)

At the end of the day you end up with a one of a kind and its all from your hard work - its something to be proud of :)

I'm a klutz with all things so modding and/or living is not my bag really  ;)   In addition the roadworthiness/insurability of it scares me.  I wouldn't want to be responsible for riding something that is unsafe.

I don't have the engineering ability to do this yet  :'(
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

justy1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2013, 08:17:41 pm »
brendo brakes????

nothing wrong with a bit of modding. its only your way of showing how you think the fazer should look like. (bit boring looking at say 10-20 of the same bike)

ive modded both my mk1 600 & gen1 1000. there is a lot more id like to do to them both but due to lack of machinery (lathe & milling machine which i had access to at my last place of work) & a bit of know how. so, i think im done.

justy1000

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 May 2013, 09:29:34 am »
I'm trying to mod, albeit at a very slow pace, and not doing anything too extreme! I'll get braver in years to come, and then we'll all be doomed.  :lol :lol
The Deef's apprentice

fazerfreak

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2013, 11:31:22 pm »
i got a Tcat conversion  on my 98' fazer