Date: 01-05-24  Time: 05:28 am

Author Topic: Smoke and smell  (Read 763 times)

peterjca

Smoke and smell
« on: 24 October 2013, 10:50:25 am »
Started the FZ1 up this morning for my usual commute to work. Lots of smoke appeared from the radiator headstock area. Coupled with this was the most sickening smell imaginable. Didn't smell like burning. I needed to get into work ASAP today so couldn't do much investigation. Quick google: smoke wasn't white nor was the smell sweet smelling so I guess it's not a coolant leak. Bike had its yearly service and MOT a few weeks ago without any problems. The coolant was changed and he did tell me to keep an eye on its level and maybe top it up after 50 miles -- why? Since I was in a rush this morning I had no chance to check coolant level. Bike has been running fine, it wasn't wet yesterday. However, in the past I've had a wee bit of smoke and that awful smell before but it quickly dissipated. This morning it was a whole lot worse so I had an American friend drive me into work (he's using my house as a base this week for a sight-seeing holiday and still can't get the hang of roundabouts, thinking he has right of way to enter!).

My initial thought was maybe there's a frying mouse somewhere, or maybe it's just road crap. Scared to ride it now!
« Last Edit: 24 October 2013, 11:47:13 am by peterjca »

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke and smell
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2013, 11:27:06 am »
Rat shit was the first thing I thought of.