Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:50 pm

Author Topic: Doing a 2500km ride next month, anything I should know?  (Read 2282 times)

kaperman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Doing a 2500km ride next month, anything I should know?
« on: 08 July 2022, 03:26:51 pm »
Hello,
I recently bought a 2003 FZS600 on the cheap and had it fixed up completely (outside of paint touchups). It has an epoxy layer in the tank, new tubes, gas pump, seals, carbs etc. The bike runs like a dream now.
In a few weeks I'm taking this beast from Belgium to the Italian Riviera via France on a week long cruise with the missus on the back.
Anyone has any tips to make sure the bike (it's 19 years old after all) and ourselves will survive this trip?

Note that we will stop around Lyon to sleep because I think it's not going to be doable in one go. We plan to stop every few hours to drink and eat. It's around 9 hours of riding the first day and 7 the second (same for the way back).  During the stay in Italy will do some riding but nothing crazy.

In the past  (on different motorcycles), the furthest I've went was Belgium to Brighton in the UK (around 500km).
« Last Edit: 08 July 2022, 03:31:41 pm by kaperman »

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Doing a 2500km ride next month, anything I should know?
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2022, 10:35:14 pm »
A puncture repair kit would be a good idea if you haven't thought of it already and some co2 cartridges, other than that bon voyage dude have a great ride 👍
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2022, 12:46:47 am »
My wife and I have done many long rides with my wife as pillion on an O3 FZS600
Longest were Cork IRL to Angers Fr  via Rosslare Irl  to Pembroke UK, Dover UK, to Calais Fr to Angers Fr in 30hours.and
 Valkenburg NL to Cork IRL via Calais FR to Dover UK and Pembroke Uk  to Rosslare IRL  in 24 hours.
We have We have ridden from Nerja Sp to Cherburg  Fr over 5 days after spending 3 days in Nerja Sp, 1 in Madrid, 3 in Biarritz Fr and final night in Granville Fr
Nothing is strapped to the bike everything is in the Non Fango Panniers, Top Box and a  tank Bag.
Tank Bag holds the most likely items to use for easy access. A tyre pump and puncture repair kit, very small Seely Multi Meter, documents are all under the seat with the tool kit.A very small socket set in the top box and a half litre bottle of engine oil for topping up if necessary. Oil Level guage is very sensitive in the FZS600
Top box also has the lightest items like shoes and some light clothing to change out of the boots to walk around in. 

I would suggest changing the rubbers on the passenger footrest to the same ones as the rider footrests, they are more comfortable for the passenger.

Stop for a break for at least 30mins every 250-300Km then fill up with fuel first prior to having a snack and a drink, don't eat to much , can make you sleepy. If you feel you have to stop more often do so, after all it is a holiday.If you don't have an alarm use two disc locks with yellow reminder warning strings to attached to the disc locks and handle bars as they are the easiest to carry.Keep one or two half litre  bottles of water in the tank bag for easy access. Dehydration can be an issue.
Pillon would need to be used to rides of over 300km before doing the journey you are doing., if not you are going to have a sore rear ends.
I don't use Sat Navs just maps and don't always use the main thoroughfares as you have to be more aware of where your are going than you do when following a satnav blindly. I do have a satnav on my phone which is used in emergency if I come across diversions that direct me off the route I have taken due to incidents or road works.

When packing for the trip pack light, put what you think you both might need on a bed or table and then put back half of it, people always over pack clothes and return after only using half of them.
It sounds like a great trip, be cautious as to where you park the bike, as the last thing you want is to have it stolen.
Enjoy
« Last Edit: 09 July 2022, 12:47:27 am by unfazed »

kaperman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2022, 05:20:20 am »
I'll be taking the highways (paid sadly) straight to Lyon on the first day to get the kms in. Then from there we will take the scenic route in France from the Côte D'Azure to Italy. I only have a topbox for now, guess I'll go buy some soft panniers before we go.

I made sure to pick hotels with private parking so the bike won't get stolen.
I never use satnavs on holidays on the motorcycle, I memorize the route and then just follow the signs along. Have the maps downloaded for offline use on our phones in case we get lost (I have a phone holder but it's a bit shit to use in direct sunlight, can barely read the screen).

Cheers for the tips, hadn't thought about some of those.

I'll report back with lessons learned in a few weeks.  :lol
« Last Edit: 09 July 2022, 05:21:30 am by kaperman »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2022, 08:58:19 am »
This electric air pump is a wonderful piece of kit to keep with the bike, and very compact too. Comes with crocodile clips to run off the battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-Adventure-Compressor-Cigarette-Connectivity/dp/B07BL1D5YZ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=airman+tour&qid=1585916825&sr=8-2
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2022, 09:13:09 pm »
It is not the number of miles that effects you it is the length of time on the bike that makes you stiff and sore. Traveling on the toll roads in France will  get many more miles in  less time, but at a cost. If I am trying to get from A to B quickly I use them, but I get a lot of fun off the beaten track especially asking for directions.

Our funniest was when we went to into a small village in southern Spain and we could not find our way out  :lol I finally admitted defeat and approached a man on the street and he totally ignored me. Then this other man on the far side of the small square started gesturing wildly to us and when we looked towards him he pointed to his ears and then his eyes and shook his head. The man we had approached was deaf and could not see very well. We approached the man who did the gesturing and he directed us to looked like a lane way into the back of two houses.  :eek    It was the main road out of the village and  I had ridden past it twice   :rolleyes We stopped gave the man that directed us out a big wave and headed on our way again still laughing.

Was in the garage a while ago and photographed what I take under the seat and other bits
see attached

As I was there I decided to transfer the Mini Multi Meter to the 20Litre  Kreiga waterproof Rucksack which we carry and it also has a 12" Tablet, Battery Pack , plug in Mobile Phone Charger and Ear Buds in the off change I need to use the Phone Sat Nav.

Tyre Sealant attached under the rear rack
« Last Edit: 09 July 2022, 09:15:30 pm by unfazed »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2022, 09:46:25 pm »
Unfazed, apparently there is a future opening for a new James Bond.

Just saying.....  :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2022, 11:53:26 pm »

Just saying.....  :D
I applied :lol
Next week I'm putting machine guns on the front :eek

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2022, 11:40:09 am »
A puncture repair kit would be a good idea if you haven't thought of it already

We (the local IAM group) tried out a bunch of puncture repair kits at Russ' Tyres in Portsmouth a few years ago and found that the Stop and Go kits were the best ones overall: https://www.amazon.co.uk/STOP-POCKET-TYRE-PLUGGER-KIT/dp/B003VE0ZL6

and some co2 cartridges

I'd recommend one of the mini electric pumps that you can run off a battery tender lead as they don't run out :thumbup

kaperman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2022, 04:42:43 am »
I'm not going to lie, I laughed a bit at all the kit you have.

I take my bike to the shop for an oil change. I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. I do have road assistance in case anything happens (EU wide).

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2022, 05:42:40 am »

I take my bike to the shop for an oil change. I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. I do have road assistance in case anything happens (EU wide).

I would recommend a fully charged mobile phone battery pack then, in case you break down in the middle of nowhere.  :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2022, 10:06:58 pm »

Thankfully I only had 2 incidents in the last 15 years both when I was back in Ireland and both less than 100 miles from  home. One was a dodgy connection which involved lifting the tank and disconnection reconnecting it, which got me home and the second was a puncture that I had to call recovery because what ever I picked  on the motorway cut into the tyre and and the cut was nearly 1 inch long, which meant I  could not repair it.
About two weeks before I decide to go,I give the bike a full service and check Wheels,  bearings brakes tyres and for oil and coolant like.

enjoy the trip and I have know doubt the bike is well check over before you go in more than up to the trip.
Don't forget to report back on how the trip went when you come back

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2022, 08:25:27 am »
A puncture repair kit would be a good idea if you haven't thought of it already and some co2 cartridges, other than that bon voyage dude have a great ride 👍
And a clutch cable repair kit - https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/workshop/tools_and_servicing/cable_repair_kit/#

And if you have a space, a mini 12v air compressor, as the little vials that come with puncture repairs kits dont fully inflate a tyre -

- https://www.screwfix.com/p/rac-compact-air-compressor-12v/1371r
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-Adventure-Compressor-Cigarette-Connectivity/dp/B07BL1D5YZ/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=motorcycle+tyre+pump&qid=1658042643&sr=8-28
« Last Edit: 17 July 2022, 08:36:25 am by b1k3rdude »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2022, 10:52:42 am »
And a clutch cable repair kit - https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/workshop/tools_and_servicing/cable_repair_kit/#

And if you have a space, a mini 12v air compressor, as the little vials that come with puncture repairs kits dont fully inflate a tyre -

- https://www.screwfix.com/p/rac-compact-air-compressor-12v/1371r
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-Adventure-Compressor-Cigarette-Connectivity/dp/B07BL1D5YZ/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=motorcycle+tyre+pump&qid=1658042643&sr=8-28

Suggested the Airman pump already, it's by far the best one i've ever owned.  :thumbup

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2022, 12:37:18 pm »

Have you tried riding for an hour or two with your pillion?
There are two areas that may cause discomfort unless a previous owner has made modifications.
The first is the rear damper, never very wonderful to start with and if it’s had a fair mileage then the damping could be insufficient with a heavy load.
The other is the seat itself, if your backside is suffering from pressure after a couple of hours it’s going to be unbearable after a day in the saddle. Some find a gel insert helps, but pads that sit on top of the existing saddle such as those made by Airhawk seem more successful.

« Last Edit: 18 July 2022, 02:24:38 pm by Fazerider »

kaperman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2022, 06:46:42 am »

Have you tried riding for an hour or two with your pillion?
There are two areas that may cause discomfort unless a previous owner has made modifications.
The first is the rear damper, never very wonderful to start with and if it’s had a fair mileage then the damping could be insufficient with a heavy load.
The other is the seat itself, if your backside is suffering from pressure after a couple of hours it’s going to be unbearable after a day in the saddle. Some find a gel insert helps, but pads that sit on top of the existing saddle such as those made by Airhawk seem more successful.
Yeah, we do a ride once or twice a month, usually about 3-5 hours of twisty roads.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2022, 07:28:11 am »
lol.

kaperman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 August 2022, 05:04:57 pm »
So the trip went perfectly fine. Did around 3200km, 99% highways at around 135km/h at around 7k rpm (with a pillion). I didn't take the scenic route the second day, was spent from the day before.

One time on the way back, some fuel leaked out of the overflow tubes after filling her up.
The stock screen is a bit shit for long distance (did around 800km a day) high speed riding and my ass hurt a lot.

Wanted to tour the Italian mountains, but I'll be honest it was 35 degrees out and I didn't really feel like it. Italians don't wear any protective gear outside of half open helmets but I wasn't up for that.
The only pics of the bike were on the highway stops :)
https://imgur.com/a/A2udsjU

« Last Edit: 08 August 2022, 05:07:36 pm by kaperman »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2022, 06:59:59 pm »
Glad you enjoyed your trip. The fuel leakage from overfilling and the fuel expanding due to the heat and leaking the excess out the overflow. It is designed to have about a litre of space at the top of the tank to allow for expansion but many fill it up at much as possible to get the extra few miles out of the tank