Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:18 pm

Author Topic: New Admin(s) required - enquire within  (Read 5751 times)

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
New Admin(s) required - enquire within
« on: 13 November 2021, 03:24:51 pm »
Kia ora Foccers, I hope that we are well and dandy despite what this year has thrown at us.

Just making a final call for anyone with hosting/migrating/SMF/forum experience to step up and help take the site forward as I look to move on from being Admin here.

As is painfully obvious the site could do with a guid auld wash 'n brush up, iirc it was around 2011 that Geek and I worked on getting things together and moved over from Yuku, so long overdue a refresh.

Since I moved from Glasgow to Auckland I've not been spending time on either my bike or here, so really need someone to help Bob as he's pretty much been running the show on his own.

I'd hate to see the auld girl be archived, but realistically that's the way I think it may end up if we can't get someone with the know how to step forward, I just don't have the time nor inclination to do justice to this place anymore.

Please let Bob, the mods or I know if you'd be able/willing to help out sooner than later, otherwise I'm going to have to make some pretty tough calls before the new year.

Cheers,
Aegis

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Re: New Admin(s) required - enquire within
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2022, 11:05:51 am »
I'd refrain from any admin duties, if at all possible.
But monitoring uptime (and intervening if needed), managing (automated) off-site backups, sorting out hosting (unless the needed storage is really huge, 'casue that would be costly), migration if needed - give me a shout.
This place should be preserved.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2022, 01:54:02 am »
Just out of curiosity how much disc space and bandwidth does this site use, will it remain hosted where it is, and how much time roughly would need spending to help bob? I have some experience with Web hosting and I've set up a BB site before SMF can't be that different, the permissions system is a bit of a minefield but presumably they are already in place, not making any promises but I quite like this place and would hate to see it go
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2022, 06:36:02 pm »
Just out of curiosity how much disc space and bandwidth does this site use, will it remain hosted where it is, and how much time roughly would need spending to help bob? I have some experience with Web hosting and I've set up a BB site before SMF can't be that different, the permissions system is a bit of a minefield but presumably they are already in place, not making any promises but I quite like this place and would hate to see it go

We currently have 40-50GB of storage in use - not a lot really - including all the media, databases and other stuff that makes up the forum. Not sure how much bandwidth we use but......

Where we are just about works OK - at least I am not seeing may issues - if we were to re-host it, we should look at a change of forum software too as SMF is gettign long in teh tooth. That said though, I have not seen anything better out there at the moment that isnt full of bloody adverts.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2022, 09:23:16 am »

We currently have 40-50GB of storage in use - not a lot really - including all the media, databases and other stuff that makes up the forum. Not sure how much bandwidth we use but......

Where we are just about works OK - at least I am not seeing may issues - if we were to re-host it, we should look at a change of forum software too as SMF is gettign long in teh tooth. That said though, I have not seen anything better out there at the moment that isnt full of bloody adverts.

This aligns with my experience - modern, at least free options, don't seem functionally better in any way. At least from the user and administrator perspective.

The amount of storage used puts the forum out of reach of many really budget hosting packages, but it's not big enough to expect any problems.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the bandwidth nowadays (though Cloudflare can help with that).

If anyone has other projects, this package would allow the forum to practically free-load (taking only one extra DirectAdmin account out of 100, and 50 GB out of "unlimited" storage):
https://brixly.uk/unlimited-reseller-hosting-directadmin/

My experience with Brixly (their entry-level DirectAdmin reseller hosting - so far, quite good, but I'll be more certain in a few months time).

For using just one account, their mid-tier shared hosting will probably do the job (haven't tested that).

They support older PHP versions if that's important (not every provider does).
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2022, 05:08:15 pm »
Whats your thoughts on phpbb software if your looking to change ??