Date: 18-04-24  Time: 17:08 pm

Author Topic: Conspicuous by my absence so looking for new Admin type(s)  (Read 1440 times)

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Conspicuous by my absence so looking for new Admin type(s)
« on: 24 September 2021, 09:28:57 am »
Kia ora Foccers, I hope you and your (t)rusty steeds are fine and dandy, it's been a wee while, eh?

Given I've not been online for quite some time I'd not be surprised if many of you newer foccers are wondering "Who the foc is Aegis?".
 :o :\

Since I absconded from the 'Weeg to this here Kiwiland, between one thing or another I've not been riding 'Bee nor logging in here very often and have come to the realisation that I need to stop pretending to myself that I'm going to give the site more time.

Bob and his team of Mods have done a great job keeping the auld girl going whilst I did little else other than cover the costs.

I owe Foc-U a lot; the friends, advice and memories I've gained from here over my 16 years (seriously? wow!) of membership are irreplaceable, but I feel it's time I stepped down fully and passed the site onto someone that can give her the effort she deserves.

Ideally it would be someone with the IT knowhow to help decide if SMF is still the best software, if cloud based hosting would be better, should countersteering be used during FTP back ups...

So, with that in mind, if any of you fine folks have a hankerin' to help out as Admin and take over ownership of the site then please let myself and Bob know.
I'd ask that your intentions are honourable as I'd hate to log back in and see Foc-u covered in ads, the auld girl deserves better.

For those keen to take over but concerned around the fees (circa £130PA) perhaps going back to the old model of Community Chest contributions covering hosting and registration would help?

It's been a foccin' blast folks!
Take care, stay safe and keep her shiny side up.

Aegis
« Last Edit: 26 September 2021, 02:11:57 pm by Aegis Bearing Mel »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Conspicuous by my absence
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2021, 09:49:33 am »
For those keen to take over but concerned around the fees (circa £130PA) perhaps going back to the old model of Community Chest contributions covering hosting and registration would help?
This seems like viable solution, like a lot of people I am very tight financially so could donate a few months worth.

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2021, 10:10:04 am »
‘Ow much?  :eek
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2021, 11:10:09 am »
‘Ow much?
Its 'all' the costs, hosting, storage, domain, etc.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2021, 11:23:04 am »
For clarity - we could definitely do with upgrading what we have currently - we are running low on storage space to the point where we cannot keep backups on line anymore and to download/upload them takes hours. We shouldn't just upgrade the package we have though, someone with more hosting knowledge than me needs to take a good look at the options including how we can migrate the data we have rather than just archive it.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2021, 06:48:30 pm »
The hosting package I have for my business has "unlimited" capacity, so I might be able to offer something in that line.

I don't know much (or anything!) about running/ migrating SMF, though...