Date: 19-04-24  Time: 06:02 am

Author Topic: FZ1- front fork stancion corrosion:  (Read 594 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
FZ1- front fork stancion corrosion:
« on: 22 March 2021, 07:57:06 pm »
So today I gave the bike its first clean since buying it (wasn't that dirty, but it was warm out). Anyway I get to the point where I am drying it off with the microfibre and get down to the forks and noticed some pits in the chrome (see attached). So I put on some cable-ties to check my travel to see of the fork seals are ever likely to touch etc and after a quick chat with Gnasher he confirmed on the outside at-least I am a good 5-10mm away. He also mentioned that the FZ1 stock on the front is under-sprung and under-damped, which then reminded me that the suspension isn't setup correctly for my weight - as the forks are travelling too far down.

I have yet to check the inside of the fork stanchions, which I will do the next sunny day we get. But I fear the corrosion there will be worse, like I have seen on a fork I spotted on ebay (see this image), as I can feel bumps and roughness with my fingers etc.

So my questions are for fellow FZ1 owners -
  • How bad is yours, got images?
  • How long did it take to get that bad, mileage, time-passed or both.
  • What have people done to try and combat this issue, trimmed down fork gator? ACF50?, grease?
Has anyone had their forks rechromed -
  • by who and how much,
  • how well has the new thicker chrome lasted..?  mileage/time-passed.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2021, 08:03:03 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1- front fork stancion corrosion:
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2021, 06:54:09 pm »
Has anyone fitted USB forks from an R1 or other bikes? if so what was involved? and has anyone posted this on the forum before now..?
« Last Edit: 25 March 2021, 10:32:19 am by b1k3rdude »