Date: 20-04-24  Time: 05:00 am

Author Topic: Spraying wheels  (Read 956 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Spraying wheels
« on: 08 February 2020, 06:39:51 pm »
My wheels are looking worse for wear again. I was going to get them powder coated but the cost of having them blasted, coated and replacing the bearing just seems a little excessive when I only want them the same colour as they are.
My thinking is I can mask off the main hubs and bearings, give then a good sanding then buy a good quality 2 pack paint to spray then with.
Does this sound right or do I need a special kind of wheel paint?
Any tips before I give it a go?

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Spraying wheels
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2020, 09:07:02 pm »
When I was doing car valeting we used to get extra for spraying wheels and we used to get great results just degreasing the wheels,steam cleaning,letting them dry, masking the tyres and we had some rubber tubes to put over the valve stems,then we'd give them 2 coats of spray just aerosol stuff we'd get from a motor factors,nothing special,then we'd give them 2 coats of clear laquer when they was dry and that was it.They looked brilliant and we'd get £30 extra.If I was doing bike wheels I'd degrease them, nib them down with fine wet&dry panel wipe them and give them 2/3 coats of paint and 3 coats of laquer it sounds like a bit of a game but you only have to wait a short while between coats and it's really satisfying the results you get and you don't have to be skilfull or anything just make sure it's a warm windless day if you're doing them outside and take some time with the masking,and get new good masking tape not some stuff that's been on the shelf for yonks. ;) you'll be amazed how good they look and the laquer gives them a bit more longevity.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2020, 02:36:15 pm »
Yeah that's pretty much the plan except I was planning on using 2 pack clear coat for that extra tough finish.
What's the best kind of paint to use? I'm wanting to have them like an anodized gold colour so I'm thinking car paint?

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2020, 03:25:17 pm »

Putting a 2 pack clear on a non 2 pack colour can lead to issues, (putting a harder paint on a softer base) best stick to same paint types if unsure. Results tend to be proportional to time and effort put into paint, it's perhaps 80% preparation, 10% application and 10% flatting and polishing afterwards. All three can go wrong....

If using rattle cans I'd suggest the pro-xl range, they are generally excellent. The hi-build primer can sometimes shrink faster than colour and clear coats however, leaving a lined or crinkled effect. I have used the non 2 pack aerosol range to paint bike and car wheels and parts giving excellent and long lasting results on many occasions. Keys to a good finish include patience (plenty!), environment and good eyesight. A love of sanding, abrading and polishing helps greatly, there's plenty of it!

Basically there's many pitfalls with paint. Having painted 100s of parts with my own gun and aerosols over the years these days I take parts to my local paint shop and point at them and describe the colour I want, I'd rather pay the money than take the grief. Having a pair of wheels painted is not expensive, even cheaper if they are sanded and prepared at home before hand....

hth.
is it clean enough?

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2020, 03:44:19 am »
Why not use alloy wheel paint, you can get it in all sorts of colours and it is easy to find and use.

A can of the colour you want and a can of matching lacquer can be had for about a tenner and will do both wheels.

Available at local motor factors, eBay etc. something like this [size=78%]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Tech-Professional-Alloy-Wheel-SILVER-PAINT-LACQUER-400ml-Aerosol-Cans/183999708107?hash=item2ad73cbbcb:g:exEAAOSw0UddqZPb[/size]

I have used it loads of times when I used to do up bikes for a hobby and its an easy value add to smarten up the wheels.