Date: 19-04-24  Time: 09:39 am

Author Topic: Parliamentary petitions  (Read 1436 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Parliamentary petitions
« on: 27 October 2019, 05:45:24 pm »
I have always wondered about the effectiveness of these and have a few ideas of ones to start but feel that no matter how many people vote for them, the government will ignore them anyway. What do you think? Are the ones i have listed below worth a shot? Are there any you would create?

- All Government ministers, MPs, Lords etc must retire from government no later than their state retirement age.  - This would put people like Corbyn out to pasture before they can kill the country

- All MP candidates must have their primary residence in the constituency where they want to stand for a minimum of 3 years BEFORE they are allowed to stand.  - This would stop the parties parachuting people they dont want to lose into safe seats and ensure that he MPs have a reason to back their constituents views

- All MP candidates must pass an IQ test - This is to make sure they understand common sense and can add up etc - Gets rid of people like Dianne Abbot.

I am sure there will be many more like "compulsory retesting of drivers over the age of 70" etc.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Parliamentary petitions
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2019, 06:01:23 pm »
The Barrack Room Lawyer will be along shortly I fear

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2019, 06:06:04 pm »
I cant actually recall any petition leading to a successful Act being passed. There may be one/some, but none spring to mind.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2019, 06:06:24 pm »

- All Government ministers, MPs, Lords etc must retire from government no later than their state retirement age.  - This would put people like Corbyn out to pasture before they can kill the country
Naw it’s against current law.  That would be age discrimination.  We are all allowed now to work for as long as we like. Though I’m working on my early retirement.
- All MP candidates must have their primary residence in the constituency where they want to stand for a minimum of 3 years BEFORE they are allowed to stand.  - This would stop the parties parachuting people they dont want to lose into safe seats and ensure that he MPs have a reason to back their constituents views
Naw, that’s just silly.  Local candidates usually have an advantage.  Anyway, we are a democracy, nobody is forced to vote for anybody.    But what we really need is some form of proportional representation.
All MP candidates must pass an IQ test - This is to make sure they understand common sense and can add up etc
Naw.  Discriminatory rules would be undemocratic.  Again, it is for the people to decide.  And there should be no rules, no limits on who we can vote for.  Remember Ms Abbot was elected, her constitutes don’t want rid of her.
I am sure there will be many more like "compulsory retesting of drivers over the age of 70" etc.
Something needs to be done here.  Both my parents had dementia.  A few thoughts;

I’m 51 and I don’t think I could pass my driving test or motorcycle test without a good few lessons and practise.  We don’t need a driving test, what is needed is some sort of assessment to ensure an elderly individual is still safe or otherwise to drive.

And you have to remember people with dementia won’t necessarily remember they no longer have a license to drive.  If there are keys and a car they’ll go. 

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2019, 06:20:10 pm »
I propose a petition calling for a law making it illegal for people to walk into the doorways of shops and then just come to a complete halt in said doorway :wall .

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2019, 07:52:14 pm »
I propose a petition calling for a law making it illegal for people to walk into the doorways of shops and then just come to a complete halt in said doorway :wall .
Or just come to a dead stop anywhere whilst walking without checking over their shoulder first :pokefun

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2019, 08:05:56 pm »
Ive got one. It has to trigger a by-election if a politician leaves the party within which they gained their seat. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2019, 08:41:41 pm »

I have always wondered about the effectiveness of these and have a few ideas of ones to start but feel that no matter how many people vote for them, the government will ignore them anyway. What do you think?

Oh yeah, what do I think.
Generally speaking, a petition on it’s own is a waste of time.
It can be, however, a useful tool as part of a wider campaign.
Effecting change is not easy – but it can be done.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2019, 11:33:04 pm »
Ive got one. It has to trigger a by-election if a politician leaves the party within which they gained their seat.
So, no independent MPs or Local Councillors then?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2019, 11:50:51 am »
:rolleyes . Of course not, they leave the party they were in when they got elected - triggering a by election -they stand as an independent - or the new party they jumped to. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2019, 01:05:59 pm »
Naw it’s against current law.  That would be age discrimination.  We are all allowed now to work for as long as we like. Though I’m working on my early retirement.
Naw, that’s just silly.  Local candidates usually have an advantage.  Anyway, we are a democracy, nobody is forced to vote for anybody.    But what we really need is some form of proportional representation.
All MP candidates must pass an IQ test - This is to make sure they understand common sense and can add up etc
Naw.  Discriminatory rules would be undemocratic.  Again, it is for the people to decide.  And there should be no rules, no limits on who we can vote for.  Remember Ms Abbot was elected, her constitutes don’t want rid of her.
Something needs to be done here.  Both my parents had dementia.  A few thoughts;

I’m 51 and I don’t think I could pass my driving test or motorcycle test without a good few lessons and practise.  We don’t need a driving test, what is needed is some sort of assessment to ensure an elderly individual is still safe or otherwise to drive.

And you have to remember people with dementia won’t necessarily remember they no longer have a license to drive.  If there are keys and a car they’ll go.

“For the people to decide” you say?
Didn’t “the people” vote to leave Europe?  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2019, 01:12:19 pm »
Or just come to a dead stop anywhere whilst walking without checking over their shoulder first :pokefun

When i used to work in London’s Oxford Street years ago, two of the most annoying things were people stopping dead in the street then looking upwards at the buildings, and also stopping to chat at the bottom of an escalator once they were safely off it. I saw a few pile ups with that one.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2019, 02:15:35 pm »
:rolleyes . Of course not, they leave the party they were in when they got elected - triggering a by election -they stand as an independent - or the new party they jumped to. 

This is another one of my bug bears.
MP gets elected as a conservative. People have voted him in because of who he is and which party he represents. Sometime later he defects to labour. HE should immediately invoke a byelection as he was partially voted in because he represented conservative, not labour and therefore his position is no longer valid.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2019, 04:05:02 pm »

This is another one of my bug bears.
MP gets elected as a conservative. People have voted him in because of who he is and which party he represents. Sometime later he defects to labour. HE should immediately invoke a byelection as he was partially voted in because he represented conservative, not labour and therefore his position is no longer valid.

Thats one I would agree with

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2019, 04:11:29 pm »

“For the people to decide” you say?
Didn’t “the people” vote to leave Europe?  :lol

:lol

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2019, 04:34:37 pm »
Of course not, they leave the party they were in when they got elected - triggering a by election -they stand as an independent - or the new party they jumped to.

Martin Bell didn't, and he unseated one of the worst Tory then UKIP criminals of the lot.
One of the biggest problems is MPs not behaving as individuals and just following the party whip. In my constituency you could put an idiot in a suit with a blue rosette and they would be voted in. O hang on, they have  :)