Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:22 pm

Author Topic: Whoever posts last is best  (Read 145208 times)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever posts last is best
« Reply #575 on: 16 March 2021, 07:45:23 pm »
No doubt on eBay you’ll be able to find a Lextek copy for a third of the price, that’s come out of the same factory. A pal bought an Akra copy with the link pipe, hanger and exhaust springs for £37 a year ago from China. It took about a month to be delivered, but is still going strong showing little signs of ageing. When you know it’s Chinese and is cheap, it’s sometimes worth the risk, because if it’s no good it’s in the bin. Rukka is always associated with Scandinavia, people believing that’s where it’s made. Their latest suit, the Kingsley, is £2,399.98 RRP. It does have a long guarantee, 5years I think, but it’s made in China. Imagine what the mark-up is on that :eek

Who the f*** pays that much for a set of waterproofs?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: 16 March 2021, 08:40:00 pm »
That's where firms like Klarna come into play. "How much", says the customer, "Yes it is expensive, but comes with a 5 year guarantee and we can sign you up for interest free payments". Before you know it you've got the boots and gloves to go with it, and you're making some serious monthly payments. Believe it or not, Motolegends sell shed loads of high priced riding gear like this, and easy finance makes it possible.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #577 on: 17 March 2021, 01:11:05 am »
That's where firms like Klarna come into play [...] and easy finance makes it possible.

Unfortunately very true.

Would you  pay almost £500 for a model car? No? But if it's only £4.99 a week over 100 weeks to get all the bits like some partworks offer you..  :rolleyes

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: 18 March 2021, 10:54:05 am »
Facilities like Klarna are fine if you do the maths and don't get too carried away. A few years back I used a similar company to get some Halvarsson (poor mans Rukka) trousers that a pal had recommended. They were £400, which was way too much for my budget, but £40 deposit and £30 a month for a year, got me something I could never have afforded otherwise, and avoided the buy crap, buy twice scenario.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: 18 March 2021, 12:00:25 pm »
For years, I bought my waterproofs from a Farmers supply shop. Two piece, with pockets in the jacket. They were brilliant in the rain (obviously!) and only cost about £6 each time they needed replacing.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: 19 March 2021, 05:00:39 pm »
When you’re on a tight budget it’s surprising what can be managed. If you’ve got to ride in the rain without waterproof boots, a couple of carrier bags, not the ones with holes in, and a few elastic bands to hold them in place, before putting your boots on. Waterproof boots sorted :lol . Had to do that on a particularly wet TT in the ‘90’s. Then along came Gore Tex to make life a lot easier, although more of a threat to the wallet.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: 19 March 2021, 07:56:03 pm »
When you’re on a tight budget it’s surprising what can be managed. If you’ve got to ride in the rain without waterproof boots, a couple of carrier bags, not the ones with holes in, and a few elastic bands to hold them in place, before putting your boots on. Waterproof boots sorted :lol . Had to do that on a particularly wet TT in the ‘90’s. Then along came Gore Tex to make life a lot easier, although more of a threat to the wallet.

A long time ago, in a galaxy very close, I had a winter job in a quarry. All of us had carrier bags inside our boots, everyday, irrespective of weather.
No trench foot reported!

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: 21 March 2021, 04:49:55 pm »
For years, I bought my waterproofs from a Farmers supply shop. Two piece, with pockets in the jacket. They were brilliant in the rain (obviously!) and only cost about £6 each time they needed replacing.

I've always got my waterproof stuff from a good outdoor supplier. Reasonable quality, does the job, at a fraction of the price of some of the trade names above.

I've found its sometimes an advantage to be a short arse (sorry, vertically challenged). Often find good quality gear in the sales rack at dealers, just because its a small size and they've not managed to sell it during the season. I picked up a brilliant leather jacket some years ago, I looked at it in the rack and decided that £299 for a jacket was way too much. The wife was with me that day, and a few minutes later, she walked over to me with the jacket. "Try this on" she said. "**** off" I replied, "I'm not paying that for a jacket". Turns out it was £29.90. Still got it and it still looks superb. In the sale rack because it was unsold for a while. I guess my brain couldn't accept that such a garment could be sold for such a low price, so represented the price to my brain at what I expected to see.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: 22 March 2021, 11:10:02 pm »
Agree, it must be handy not needing to buy a regular size, as bargains can certainly be had, sadly not by me. I’ve a pal who got a short legged Rukka suit from a stand at the Birmingham bike show, just before closing on the last day. It was one less suit for the dealer to carry on the long walk out to the van as they were packing up. The suit fitted him perfectly, you’d have thought it was tailor made.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: 23 March 2021, 07:51:11 pm »
"I've found its sometimes an advantage to be a short arse (sorry, vertically challenged). Often find good quality gear in the sales rack at dealers, just because its a small size and they've not managed to sell it during the season. I picked up a brilliant leather jacket some years ago, I looked at it in the rack and decided that £299 for a jacket was way too much. The wife was with me that day, and a few minutes later, she walked over to me with the jacket. "Try this on" she said. "**** off" I replied, "I'm not paying that for a jacket". Turns out it was £29.90. Still got it and it still looks superb. In the sale rack because it was unsold for a while. I guess my brain couldn't accept that such a garment could be sold for such a low price, so represented the price to my brain at what I expected to see."

Yeah, yeah, we've all done it - visit to Specsavers on the cards maybe?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: 24 March 2021, 09:29:34 am »
Specsavers....... Now that's another expensive hobby :lol .

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: 24 March 2021, 07:52:44 pm »

Anything, absolutely anything, spelt in the English language is expensive, or so it seems.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: 27 March 2021, 08:15:45 am »

Anything, absolutely anything, spelt in the English language is expensive, or so it seems.
Exactly. I've a pal who lives in France, and as an experiment we booked return eurotunnel trips for the same date/time/mode of transport(motorcycle). His ticket price was far less than mine.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: 28 March 2021, 07:44:41 pm »

Exactly. I've a pal who lives in France, and as an experiment we booked return eurotunnel trips for the same date/time/mode of transport(motorcycle). His ticket price was far less than mine.

It'll be more expensive to use the Eurostar from that side soon!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: 31 March 2021, 07:38:23 pm »

Why, what's happening?.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: 07 April 2021, 03:46:34 pm »

Why, what's happening?.

It's asking for British taxpayers to bail it out of financial trouble - but it's still putting € buy the billions into another infrastructure scheme elsewhere in Europe and still wants to pay-out to share holders.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: 07 April 2021, 08:01:00 pm »
Maybe they’ll set up one of those crowd funding requests. People seem to do it at the drop of a hat nowadays.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: 13 April 2021, 08:03:16 pm »
Maybe they’ll set up one of those crowd funding requests. People seem to do it at the drop of a hat nowadays.

Talking of which - I need a new helmet............  :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: 14 April 2021, 07:22:30 am »

Talking of which - I need a new helmet............  :lol
I like your style :thumbup .......fancy one of the new Arai Quantics myself.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: 14 April 2021, 08:34:07 pm »
Picked up another Caberg flip front - the Duke II. Just go to transfer the intercomm over from the old one. Then finish the fettling on the Thou. Then keep fingers crossed for the good weather. Then hopefully get a day off to myself.......

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: 18 April 2021, 07:57:45 pm »
Picked up another Caberg flip front - the Duke II. Just go to transfer the intercomm over from the old one. Then finish the fettling on the Thou. Then keep fingers crossed for the good weather. Then hopefully get a day off to myself.......
It’s a catch 22 situation. When I worked I had plenty of projects on the back burner that I could afford to work on but had no time. Within six weeks of retiring I wondered where I found the time to go to work, but with reduced income had little chance of seeing out the projects :'(

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: 19 April 2021, 08:45:26 pm »
Got the possibility of a half day - however, my car has died and now needs replacing......... :'( :'( :'(

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: 19 April 2021, 09:23:27 pm »
Got the possibility of a half day - however, my car has died and now needs replacing......... :'( :'( :'(
Oh mate.....feel your pain. In my case, if it wasn’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all. :'(

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: 20 April 2021, 04:36:02 pm »
Oh mate.....feel your pain. In my case, if it wasn’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all. :'(

HAHA LOL, I keep meaning to use that one.........but you beat me too it.  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: 23 April 2021, 08:27:03 pm »
The other good quip regarding luck is, “ My luck is so bad it’s like a bald man winning a raffle, and first prize is a comb”. :lol