Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:02 am

Author Topic: Fuel tank leak  (Read 1255 times)

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Fuel tank leak
« on: 27 June 2019, 03:56:57 pm »
Anyone used any repair putty etc thats lasts for more than a few days

« Last Edit: 27 June 2019, 10:39:00 pm by gerkin »

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph bonneville '#03974 t120
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel tank leak
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2019, 05:02:16 pm »
i've not, but i had similar problem couple years ago but found decent secondhand tank on ebay, but still got my old tank with view to repair. A lot of people recommend petseal ultra, worth a try at the price its what I intend to use on old tank.     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254170217394?ViewItem=&item=254170217394

Gabrael72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2019, 06:39:13 pm »
I know this is off topic but relates slightly to the post title.
I've noticed a slight smell of fuel from my filler hole when the flap is closed & upon comparison with my friends Fazer I seem to be missing a small hex bolt from under the filler cap, there is the obvious fuel filling hole & then the rubber bung (with hole) by the hinge but next to that I have an empty hole where he has a nut (hex type), does anyone know what this is for and by any chance have one I could purchase?

Thanks in advance.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2019, 07:48:33 pm »
I've noticed a slight smell of fuel from my filler hole when the flap is closed & upon comparison with my friends Fazer I seem to be missing a small hex bolt from under the filler cap, there is the obvious fuel filling hole & then the rubber bung (with hole) by the hinge but next to that I have an empty hole where he has a nut (hex type), does anyone know what this is for and by any chance have one I could purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe a photo would be more explanatory.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2019, 06:15:38 am »
i have used liquid metal to patch a badly welded chop tank and never gave me any problems (as long as cleaned properly)

as for missing bolt - take one of others out and measure it and buy a new one to replace - the yam parts ones are expensive for a simple bolt in comparison to what you pay in any engineering supplies place (5-10p each lol)

Grib

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2019, 11:10:00 pm »

Thanks in advance.
Yes this will be the cause of the smell of petrol, you have a hole directly in to your tank where the screw should be. You need an M4x10 cap head screw. It may be worth draining your tank too as water could have got in through the hole and be slowly rusting through the bottom of your tank. 4 of the screws around the cap do not do anything, they are just there to look nice, you could use one of those until you get a replacement.

Gabrael72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2019, 07:06:42 pm »
Perfect, thank you for all your replies, I'm off to a place called 'Orbital Fasteners' tomorrow to pick one up, my OCD won't allow me to take one from the tank cover 🤣🤣🤣