Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:10 pm

Author Topic: FAQ: ULEZ charge and how it effects you!  (Read 60188 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: FAQ: ULEZ charge and how it effects you!
« Reply #75 on: 08 September 2021, 06:03:03 am »
My 2000 FZS 600 level read 0.43, which he said was unusually high.
But after speaking to one of the staff I mentioned I cleaned my K&N air filter last week and he said that would not have helped at all and more than likely raised the level, although in the same breath he also said it wouldn't have been significant enough to make it pass.
So something to note, a dirty paper filter could actually lower your test results.

I had the Cat. fitted anyway, as i never really had much choice.
I was there about 70mins in total, which included the initial Dyno test, then having the Cat. fitted, then a retest again.
Whole lot cost £435  :'(

No power loss whatsoever, but it has changed the sound of the bike a little bit, but to be honest I like the new sound so no worries there.

I asked about how I will know when it's all well and good and was to told to download an app tomorrow called TFL DRIVE, and when I enter my Reg. Number it will state that my bike is exempt.

And finally it was pointed out to me that no bike is the same, so one bike may pass whereas another might fail, even if they are the same year and model of bike. This is due to many factors so there is no way of knowing what your bike will show up.

Did you happen to see what cat they installed? I need to get one fitted but buggered if I'm letting them do that to my pipe and charge that much for the pleasure!

No, he was quite clear about me not being allowed in the workshop, which is fair enough i s'pose due to health & safety and covid current standard practices.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 08 September 2021, 08:39:11 am »
No, he was quite clear about me not being allowed in the workshop, which is fair enough i s'pose due to health & safety and covid current standard practices.
I get not being allowed into the w/s, but being deliberately blocked from seeing what they are doing to YOUR property is another thing entirely and something I cannot abide. Your paying them to work, so as the person with the money I want to see that my bike is being treated with respect. A lot of shops either have a viewing window or you can view it from outside via the w/s entrance in some instances.

Both times I had the displeasure of speaking to the owner of RB mc/s on the phone he came across and arrogant and belligerent, not what you want to hear as a potential customer. Its why ultimately I sold my Bandit 1200 and Fzs1000 for a 1250 and FZ1, his customer skills and his deminer meant that I preferred to go through all the hassle of selling and buying bikes than giving that utter c***! a single penny of my money. My reaction/stance may seem at first unreasonable, but I have spoken to over a dozen bike shops around London and either they themselves have witnessed it or their customers have.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 08 September 2021, 09:24:56 am »
Did you happen to see what cat they installed? I need to get one fitted but buggered if I'm letting them do that to my pipe and charge that much for the pleasure!

As mentioned in my post above one way is to fit a later FZ6 link pipe, it requires some fabrication but that is fairly straightforward for any skilled fabricator.

https://www.sparesunlimited.co.uk/yamaha-fz6-fz6n-2004-2006-fz6s-2004-2005/

Or you can go the same route as Riverbank they will fit something very similar if not the very same as, they come in various sizes to suit your pipe diameter.  I've not used these, but know of people who have.  In a lot of EU countries bikes are tested for emissions and have been for years, many owners are forced to retro fit as it was country wide not just a specific city or town etc.     

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/retrofit-catalytic-converter-for-sbk-exhaust-systems/10027049

Unlike the UK where the market has concentrated on decat, link pipes etc.  This will change and at speed, as mentioned all new bikes within a few years at most, will be emission tested like cars and I think it's very possible in time any vehicle under going the standard MOT will to. 

At present any vehicle over 40yrs old is exempt from MOT and VED, because they're deemed not to be variable for daily use, commuting etc.   Yes a few might still be used to commuting but the vast majority will be weekend, high days and holiday use only.         

Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 08 September 2021, 09:52:52 am »
Isn't the problem that even if you do a DIY Cat, or otherwise adjust your emissions, Riverbank are the only shop authorised to test?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 08 September 2021, 10:04:00 am »
Isn't the problem that even if you do a DIY Cat, or otherwise adjust your emissions, Riverbank are the only shop authorised to test?

Quite possibly, but as other city's/towns start adopting ULEZ zones, I'm sure a test from another approved place will be acceptable.  That could already be the case I've no idea, I use my maxi scooter to enter London or any major city/town for commuting/work.   

Just so much easier and cheaper, just twist and go  ;)
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 08 September 2021, 08:51:29 pm »
I heard some areas (Birmingham?) are exempting motorcycles altogether

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 08 September 2021, 11:47:18 pm »

As mentioned in my post above one way is to fit a later FZ6 link pipe, it requires some fabrication but that is fairly straightforward for any skilled fabricator.

https://www.sparesunlimited.co.uk/yamaha-fz6-fz6n-2004-2006-fz6s-2004-2005/

Or you can go the same route as Riverbank they will fit something very similar if not the very same as, they come in various sizes to suit your pipe diameter.  I've not used these, but know of people who have.  In a lot of EU countries bikes are tested for emissions and have been for years, many owners are forced to retro fit as it was country wide not just a specific city or town etc.     

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/retrofit-catalytic-converter-for-sbk-exhaust-systems/10027049

Unlike the UK where the market has concentrated on decat, link pipes etc.  This will change and at speed, as mentioned all new bikes within a few years at most, will be emission tested like cars and I think it's very possible in time any vehicle under going the standard MOT will to. 

At present any vehicle over 40yrs old is exempt from MOT and VED, because they're deemed not to be variable for daily use, commuting etc.   Yes a few might still be used to commuting but the vast majority will be weekend, high days and holiday use only.       

I did see a couple of cheap FZS pipes on ebay, and at first glances it looks like you'd only need to lop off the bracket to get it to fit, I imagine you'd need to weld on a stop for the centre stand too?

I've also been eyeing up those retrofit cats, but none of them seem to match up to my link pipe ID! I'll have to take the midpipe and can off and measure them again to be sure...

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 09 September 2021, 08:51:40 am »
Call me stoopid  :)    is the linkpipe separate or part of the down pipes?

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 09 September 2021, 10:41:22 am »

It is on the FZ6.  The link pipe on an FZS is attached to the silencer, which slides on to the downtube collector pipe.  The conversion using an FZ6 cat is either cutting out the cat element and fitting it inside the collector or silencer link pipe, or cutting the either and welding in the cat section. 

Which is basically what Riverside do.     
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 11 September 2021, 02:19:11 pm »

They're separate pipes, but come in different diameters. I have two aftermarket end cans and I believe they're both different sizes to the OEM can. Or at least the pair of them are definitely different anyway as they each have a link pipe, I've not laid eyes on the stock exhaust for 14 years now.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 11 September 2021, 02:32:42 pm »

They're separate pipes, but come in different diameters. I have two aftermarket end cans and I believe they're both different sizes to the OEM can. Or at least the pair of them are definitely different anyway as they each have a link pipe, I've not laid eyes on the stock exhaust for 14 years now.
I've still on original pipe.  My thinking was I have a set of down pipes with the common rust hole which if I could find someone able to patch the hole and fabricate the fz6 link it would save the hassle and possible expense

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 11 September 2021, 05:50:10 pm »
I get not being allowed into the w/s, but being deliberately blocked from seeing what they are doing to YOUR property is another thing entirely and something I cannot abide. Your paying them to work, so as the person with the money I want to see that my bike is being treated with respect. A lot of shops either have a viewing window or you can view it from outside via the w/s entrance in some instances.

Both times I had the displeasure of speaking to the owner of RB mc/s on the phone he came across and arrogant and belligerent, not what you want to hear as a potential customer. Its why ultimately I sold my Bandit 1200 and Fzs1000 for a 1250 and FZ1, his customer skills and his deminer meant that I preferred to go through all the hassle of selling and buying bikes than giving that utter c***! a single penny of my money. My reaction/stance may seem at first unreasonable, but I have spoken to over a dozen bike shops around London and either they themselves have witnessed it or their customers have.

Funny you should mention it because he took a phone call as he was dealing with my paperwork and whoever was on the other end was told to F*** Off then he put the phone down on them.

I was pointed to a nearby cafe to wait, but I chose to sit in a chair on a balcony overlooking a canal that was near that metal monstrosity they built before the Olympics.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 16 September 2021, 10:24:24 am »
I did contact Yamaha by email, and they replied asking for my VIN/chassis number, etc, which i sent back to them, then they never responded again!
I just sent them another email with the same details.

A month later I get a response.....sort of:

Thank you for contacting Yamaha customer support. We are sorry for the delay in getting back to you regarding this matter and we apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused.We are emailing to follow up with the case - 00055817Thank you for providing our team with the requested details for your Yamaha FZS 600.We have forwarded this case to our HQ, our team will work to provide the requested information as quickly as possible and will be in contact further at the nearest available time.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2021, 10:25:39 am by darrsi »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 11 October 2021, 08:07:05 pm »
This was rather neatly done[size=78%] [/size]

I'm going to try some black wrap around the link pipe to keep the thieving eyes away from it.

The 600 is a2 piece exhaust
So when they refer to slotting in to the link pipe is it  the tailpipe or the down pipe the cat would be pushed into

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 11 October 2021, 11:03:23 pm »
This was rather neatly done

I'm going to try some black wrap around the link pipe to keep the thieving eyes away from it.

So when they refer to slotting in to the link pipe is it  the tailpipe or the down pipe the cat would be pushed into

I mean, the photo that shows they've cut the pipe, inserted the cat, and rewelded it is right there in the post...

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 12 October 2021, 01:36:13 am »

I mean, the photo that shows they've cut the pipe, inserted the cat, and rewelded it is right there in the post...
And you mean what exactly?  I realise now I've kind of repeated my myself but I'm asking not about what they've done  but what others could do.   So to out it another way would you know the diameter of what is considered the link pipe on the standard FZS600 pipe

Screwdriver

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FireBlade
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 04 November 2021, 08:18:30 pm »
Where are we at with this? Is it possible to get some sort of certificate or evidence so that my trusty Fazer thou ('03) can be ULEZ exempt?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 04 November 2021, 09:04:26 pm »
Where are we at with this? Is it possible to get some sort of certificate or evidence so that my trusty Fazer thou ('03) can be ULEZ exempt?

Short answer...Yes.

Long winded journey....https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=24907.msg296166#msg296166

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 13 November 2021, 09:11:30 pm »

I have downpipes, then link pipe, then end can, so it's actually 3 parts.

The Cat. was put inside the middle link pipe.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 14 November 2021, 01:21:04 am »

I have downpipes, then link pipe, then end can, so it's actually 3 parts.

The Cat. was put inside the middle link pipe.

:)

Screwdriver

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FireBlade
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 15 November 2021, 12:05:17 pm »

Short answer...Yes.

Long winded journey....https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=24907.msg296166#msg296166

I read through that and I do not see the answer to my question specifically regarding the earlier '03 (in my case) Fazer 1000.

Do I have to write to Yamaha or Saddo Khan or both? does anyone have a CoC or whtever document which states this type of vehicle should be ULEZ exempt which they might be willing to share with me?

If I can obtain proof that this vehicle type is exempt then I can push through whatever paperchase may be required. What I cannot do is pay an extortionate amount to do so (why do you think I am still riding about on this old bus).

Sorry to sound cross but I keep this machine tip top and there's no way I can afford a new Euro 3 anything. Makes me spit when I see heavily polluting vehicles cluttering up the road which are clearly  not "compliant" in the real world on anything other than paper..

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 15 November 2021, 03:48:40 pm »

Haven't done it myself, and someone will correct me if wrong.

I believe you need an individual CoC from Yamaha. Yamaha UK will charge you a fee for this. The CoC should show the NOX level as below TFL's threshold. . Although all FZS1000s are technically compliant, the CoC is individual to your VIN. So you can't use somebody else's CoC. You then send the CoC with a copy of your V5 showing your Reg No and VIN to TFL, who will record your Reg No on their database as exempt.

No use trying this route for a FZS600, as the CoC will show the NOX value as non compliant

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 15 November 2021, 06:12:05 pm »

Haven't done it myself, and someone will correct me if wrong.

I believe you need an individual CoC from Yamaha. Yamaha UK will charge you a fee for this. The CoC should show the NOX level as below TFL's threshold. . Although all FZS1000s are technically compliant, the CoC is individual to your VIN. So you can't use somebody else's CoC. You then send the CoC with a copy of your V5 showing your Reg No and VIN to TFL, who will record your Reg No on their database as exempt.

No use trying this route for a FZS600, as the CoC will show the NOX value as non compliant

Just to add .... your bike has to have the original engine which came with the frame.   
The £60 charge isn't until Yamaha confirm your bike conforms. Its payable when you request the certificate of conformity

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 16 November 2021, 10:48:18 am »
Sorry to sound cross but I keep this machine tip top and there's no way I can afford a new Euro 3 anything. Makes me spit when I see heavily polluting vehicles cluttering up the road which are clearly  not "compliant" in the real world on anything other than paper..
All the info you need is in this very thread fella, in your instance just contact Yamaha UK and get a CoC. Then once you have that, create a dummy account on TFL's website and upload a copy of your CoC and the front page of your logbook. When I did this for my FZ1, the bike was listed as ulez compliant after 24hrs.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2021, 10:49:12 am by b1k3rdude »

Screwdriver

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FireBlade
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 22 November 2021, 09:50:52 pm »