Date: 16-05-24  Time: 05:24 am

Author Topic: How smooth should a Fazer run ?  (Read 2013 times)

phil mcglassup

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
How smooth should a Fazer run ?
« on: 16 July 2016, 01:50:03 pm »
I have a recently acquired 2000 model and I am new to the world of Fazers.

Due to bad experiences with vibrations on a previous bike I am now hypersensitive to vibration, so even my smooth running car gives me the feeling in my legs and arms that it is vibrating  :eek   It usually takes 20 minutes of riding or driving before the symptoms appear. My GP has just sent me for an MRI to rule out spinal nerve impingement problems.

I have searched and read about remedies for tank and exhaust vibes though I guess my bike would run fine for anyone else but to me it vibes (mainly in the pegs, with minor vibes in the handlebars) so just wondered what I should expect. I appreciate that inline fours are notorious for minor vibes anyway !!

Any thoughts appreciated  :)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
How smooth should a Fazer run ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2016, 02:07:05 pm »
Get some heavier bar end weights and rubber surrounds where u mount the handlebars. Get some new peg rubbers and where the footrests are bolted use rubber washers if there arn't already some fitted. Apart From that try to ride more smoothly a bit lower down the Rev range. These bikes can be top end screamers but also quite sedate if ridden that way.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: How smooth should a Fazer run ?
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2016, 02:15:24 pm »
Having the carbs balanced can get rid of a lot of vibes as well.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2016, 05:28:33 pm »
I agree with both Exupnut and darrsi bud, I just done a 300 mile each way trip and did exactly what the 2 have said except the bar ends before I made the trip as prep to my bike, I felt as fresh as a daisy with just one 30 min break throughout the ride and at the other end when I got there, no tingling in my fingers legs or feet like I used to have after 50 miles... yay..
omnia causa fiunt

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2016, 09:25:48 pm »
I replaced my grips for some pro sport and that made a difference, not saying use them but new better than OEM may help

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2016, 08:32:34 am »
wow phil !
wait till your on a mision hanging your arse off in a tight bend up in the berries chasing ya mate grinning from ear to ear then all`s smooth n comfortable  :lol :lol :lol
waters wet, shit stinks !

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2016, 10:38:06 am »
U could jump on a whacker plate for ten min b4 u ride....that'll also sort it lol
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

phil mcglassup

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2016, 08:10:00 am »
Thanks for the replies.
So, balance the carbs, heavier bar end weights, new rubber hand grips and rubber mount pegs etc. and it will be as smooth as it ever will be  :)

I think I will avoid using a wacker plate as I would still have pins and needles a week later  :eek

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2016, 11:45:56 am »
Thanks for the replies.
So, balance the carbs, heavier bar end weights, new rubber hand grips and rubber mount pegs etc. and it will be as smooth as it ever will be  :)

I think I will avoid using a wacker plate as I would still have pins and needles a week later  :eek

If the carbs haven't been balanced for quite a while (years) then you'd be surprised at how much it can smooth the engine vibes out, it will also quieten down the exhaust tones as well.
My Quill exhaust used to have a great raspy sound to it, but after balancing it made it all sound rather sensible.  :'(
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2016, 12:06:43 pm »
phil on his fazer
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

phil mcglassup

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2016, 12:53:27 pm »
That would be good...but I've never seen flying clouds on fleabay !!