Date: 01-05-24  Time: 17:34 pm

Author Topic: Hi I'm new to forum and just got me a 99 fazer  (Read 3525 times)

scotty83

• Cager in Training
  • Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - not main but er 500 2002
    • View Profile
Hi I'm new to forum and just got me a 99 fazer
« on: 15 February 2016, 06:01:51 pm »
I'm looking for some help if anyone can,I bought this bike at a low price shes done arond 48k and in okay nick the previous owner had work done to front end and buggered the speedo drive the bit with the lugs on it and the dust cover to go over it, I'll post pics also but I have the speedo drive coming the bit with the two lugs on it, what I was wondering is the dust cover going to stop it from working I was told it may have magnetic bits in it and thats whats doing the speedo pick if this is true do any of you have a link to where I can get this part looked everywhere and cant find it.

Also in the other pic it seems like there is a earth missing off the back of the battery box the plate going over the back again can anyone tell me if this is true I'll post the pictures also, I am crap with electrics so any help would be a big help on both problems thanks.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Hi I'm new to forum and just got me a 99 fazer
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2016, 07:05:13 pm »
Been a while but i don't remember a dust cover?

Wemoto sell one for the right side, but not the left. (under "Bearings - Dust Seals)

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer/98-99/

https://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/genuineparts/9654/41/yamaha%20fzs600%20fazer/meter?uID=0
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2016, 07:54:22 pm »
Don't know about a 'dust cover' but the speedo drive snaps its lugs whenever it's removed (unless you are very very careful). the lugs and drive are ceramic and just break. They revolve (or not when broken) inside a magnetic hub and send a signal to the speedo. The Yamaha replacement version (from Wemoto etc) have plastic lugs which are much more robust.
Here's the diagram https://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/genuineparts/9796/41/yamaha%20fzs600%20fazer/meter?uID=0 Looks like part 15 you need?
When you put the new one on, put in plenty of lithium grease, otherwise it makes a racket.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2016, 08:11:21 pm »
The light grey bit on the left looks like it's the remains of the speedo drive,can that piece be removed leaving the black rubber seal on the right in place & then see what you get when the drive arrives.
The earth spade on the top bolt on the bar in your pic can be removed as to the black wire with the white connector on, these look like they have been used for a add on. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2016, 08:18:38 pm »
Don't know about a 'dust cover' but the speedo drive snaps its lugs whenever it's removed (unless you are very very careful). the lugs and drive are ceramic and just break. They revolve (or not when broken) inside a magnetic hub and send a signal to the speedo. The Yamaha replacement version (from Wemoto etc) have plastic lugs which are much more robust.
Here's the diagram https://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/genuineparts/9796/41/yamaha%20fzs600%20fazer/meter?uID=0 Looks like part 15 you need?
When you put the new one on, put in plenty of lithium grease, otherwise it makes a racket.

They normally snap because the lugs weren't lined up properly on reassembly......been there, done that.  :\

I was gonna suggest the same as well, pack it with nice thick grease when putting it all back together.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2016, 08:37:38 pm »
They normally snap because the lugs weren't lined up properly on reassembly......been there, done that. 
Yep me too. Or perhaps it was the butterfingered ape who changed my front tyre  :2guns

scotty83

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2016, 10:37:24 pm »
On my first pic the thing on the left is the bit that has the lug's (missing in that pic as been snapped off by previous owner) thats the bit that seats in the wheel and turns just not sure if I need the plastic dust cover which is the bit on the right and is made of plastic and was chewed up by the broken off lugs. Thank you for the replys I will wait for bit coming on wed fit the new speedo drive thing with the lugs on it and repost my findings not spending 98 quid on the entire part lol I'll phone around a few bike breakers and see if I get much luck with them for that dust cover thing.

Cheers guys thanks again.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2016, 08:26:11 am »
I'm looking for some help if anyone can,I bought this bike at a low price shes done arond 48k and in okay nick the previous owner had work done to front end and buggered the speedo drive the bit with the lugs on it and the dust cover to go over it, I'll post pics also but I have the speedo drive coming the bit with the two lugs on it, what I was wondering is the dust cover going to stop it from working I was told it may have magnetic bits in it and thats whats doing the speedo pick if this is true do any of you have a link to where I can get this part looked everywhere and cant find it.

The speedo drive is one unit not three parts the driver ring (bit with the 2 lungs on) has sheared off from the drive unit (the black thing that the cable goes into) the lager ring is also part of the driver ring.  You should be able to find one second hand or drop Deefer a line on here.  The dust cover as you call it is a seal to stop water (and dust  ;) ) getting into the bearings/speedo drive. You don't need it as in you can ride without it but if you do the speedo will soon give up the ghost quickly followed by the wheel bearings.  This is a cheap part with not much between OE and after market.     

Also in the other pic it seems like there is a earth missing off the back of the battery box the plate going over the back again can anyone tell me if this is true I'll post the pictures also, I am crap with electrics so any help would be a big help on both problems thanks.

If your referring to the eyelet that is attached to one of the bolts on the seat lock, there are no earth's attached here as standard this was some owner fitted earth could be off anything, heated grips, clock, alarm almost anything it wasn't there when the bike left the factory. 

« Last Edit: 17 February 2016, 08:18:37 am by Gnasher »
Later

scotty83

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2016, 05:21:41 am »

The speedo drive is one unit not three parts the driver ring (bit with the 2 lungs on) has sheared off from the drive unit (the black thing that the cable goes into) the lager ring is also part of the driver ring.  You should be able to find one second hand or drop Deefer a line on here.  The dust cover as you call it is a seal to stop water (and dust  ;) ) getting into the bearings/speedo drive. You don't need it as in you can't ride without it but if you do the speedo will soon give up the ghost quickly followed by the wheel bearings.  This is a cheap part with not much between OE and after market.     

If your referring to the eyelet that is attached to one of the bolts on the seat lock, there are no earth's attached here as standard this was some owner fitted earth could be off anything, heated grips, clock, alarm almost anything it wasn't there when the bike left the factory. 

Thank you, yes just had a look and the dust seal is part of the bearing kit so thank you for that I've been pulling my hair out wondering.

And for the earth thing wasn't sure if this was the case but I'm now almost sure its an after market thing the previous owner had fitted something to do with like you said heated grips or a power outlet again thank you so much, this place its just great for all the info

scotty83

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2016, 03:39:24 pm »
Okay so got the new part the drive cog with lugs on it fitted it and the speedo worked parked the bike as it was a bit of a crap morning and when it got nicer took her out for a spin only to find the speedo was working on and off.

So I parked the bike up and stripped it all down again the drive cog was fine and the speedo sensor with wire coming out looked okay,the speedo was working fine so I think the speedo pick up buggered as when I put it all back together it wasn't moving the speedo at all I thinking its going to have to be a new speedo sensor which brand new is 98 quid :( can't find any secondhand,I did give deefer a message so will wait on a reply to see if he can halp out any.

Just not had alot of luck so far with this bike and I'm already on a tight budget as I took on a loan to buy the bike in the first place just a nightmare lol.

Just thought I'd update the post and let you guy's that replied know what was happening.

Pike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Lewis Tisdall
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2016, 11:47:32 am »
Did you find a cheap solution in the end?