Date: 19-04-24  Time: 03:53 am

Author Topic: Infill panels: mod to prevent cracking?  (Read 1678 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Infill panels: mod to prevent cracking?
« on: 01 November 2015, 11:24:49 pm »
In all the years I've been on here I haven't really seen a mod/trick to prevent the bloody infill's from cracking under normal use. I have tried the wide plastic penny washer trick, I have even re-enforced the underside of the mounting holes. But eventually they just crack.

So the idea I came up with and wanted to run by folks on here is to use do the following -
  • Use 3x shouldered wide head bolts for each panel - the shoulder part just deep enough to accommodate the thickness of the panel
  • use a thin rubber washer on the under and topside of each mounting hole - the idea Im going with is so the panel dosent rattle about, but would have to glue the underside washer in place.
Is my idea too extreme, has anyone use a simpler method that's lasted? and if so how long ?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Infill panels: mod to prevent cracking?
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2015, 11:38:18 pm »
I've been using a rubber washer underneath and on top for a few years now as I always felt the plastic was going to crack every time I did them up.
Hadn't thought about gluing the bottom one to be honest as I've always found that it either sticks to the bracket or the bottom of the infill but must admit have knocked them off a few times so gluing them may be the way to go.
I have also ran a bead of silicone along the edge that meets the fairing to eliminate rattling.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2015, 07:16:39 am »
Like dazza but sticky backed foam behind the infill holes and just nip them up rather than over tighten after all loosing a bolt is better than cracking a panel
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2015, 08:18:38 pm »
My original infill panels had a strip of foam all along the edge that meets the fairing. The replacement doesn't come with this so vibration of the fairing puts stress on the edge of the infill panel.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2015, 09:41:26 pm »
So it would seem if I can source some direct replacement bolts with a shoulder, thise with some thin rubber washer are the way to go.

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2015, 10:11:11 pm »
I've got no cracks on a 2002 and all I do is put rubber strips between the infill and frame and gently tighten down

bowen93

• CBT Wobbler
  • level of weirdness i can achieve maxed out
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2015, 09:13:48 pm »
cut an old push bike inner tube then spray glued it on the bracket underneath never a problem yet. and still gentle doing them up
from the minute your born you are dying, so make the most of it and live life to the max