Date: 19-04-24  Time: 06:09 am

Author Topic: Unknown extra bitz  (Read 5128 times)

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Unknown extra bitz
« on: 05 May 2015, 09:22:52 am »
Hulloo

I bought this '04 Fazer at the weekend. the chap had only had it a month - said he bought it from a workmate who'd used it for touring holidays round Europe and he didn't seem to know anything about it at all. There was only the two keys, V5 and MOT certificates, too.

It has some extras - goodridge braided hoses, a hugger, a tall tinted 'race' screen and he said the seat was a custom job. It is different from the one on the '04 bike I test rode last year, but there is no manufacturer marking on it at all.

It also looks like the damper/shock absorber is an aftermarket job. Again, can't see any make info on it. I took some photos and I'd be grateful if anyone can identify them - especially the damper. the ride is certainly very comfortable - bumps are made very soft and it's a comfy ride, but the steering is a bit on the slow side (forks might be modded, but no idea, tbh).

Very well protected by the nice looking hugger:

This is the 'custom' seat:

These extras do make it more of a mystery to me, that I only had to shell out £1750 for the bike (£1795 asking price). I know he wanted a quick sale, but I must admit, it does make me worry a little that there's something not right.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2015, 09:24:01 am by Brixmis »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown extra bitz
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2015, 10:02:35 am »
Looks like a standard shock tbh.
Intentionally left blank

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2015, 12:11:54 pm »
Looks like a standard shock and seat to me, might have gel inserts though?

They are a bit soft and slow to steer as standard, plenty of easy fixes though  :)

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2015, 02:57:36 pm »
Okay, thanks :)

The one I tested was slow-steering, but it had squared-off tires, so i thought it was that. Looks like some tweaks will have to be made. Like dropping the forks an inch through the yoke?

I'll give it a try, anyway.

Surprised about the seat - the one I used before was smooth, and the seller did say it was custom - maybe just modded, then, as you say.

Next thing is to buy the flip-up screen the test bike had. Both my rides were on extremely windy days - but the flip-up was far better than the one that's on this bike:

This the one I would like to have:

Right then - I'm off to find it!

Cheers  :)

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2015, 03:06:36 pm »
That Puig screen is worth  a couple of quid. The smooth seats where on the earlier fazer's maybe he just bought a newer seat like i did on my gen1 perosnally i would stick with the puig screen.

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2015, 06:37:25 pm »
I have one of those screens for sale mate!!!

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2015, 07:20:46 pm »
Now that's a luvvly bike!  8)

pm sent  ;)

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2015, 07:43:55 pm »
Thanks Mate!!!

Oh and notice the seat???

Standard................. (for now!!!)

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2015, 09:27:43 pm »
perosnally i would stick with the puig screen.

I don't know how tall you are - I'm 6ft and the Puig wasn't much use on the ride back from Mansfield - I was completely buggered!

Of course, that's just "perosnally" speaking!  :lol

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2015, 11:33:14 pm »

I have one of those screens for sale mate!!!

What make is that screen, I see there are some black extensions to the fairing. Are they part of the screen or from somewhere else. I have an mra vario screen at the moment but I get lots of wind noise.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2015, 09:57:15 am »
For the suspension, fit 25mm jack up kit to rear and drop the yokes down the forks 10mm

I have a feeling that the bigger screen is a modified Gen 2 touring screen, but I may be wrong.

The fairing on the FZS is too far away from the rider and it is difficult to get a screen that works in all conditions, welcome to world of trying different screens.

I am 5' 10" and had an MRA vario, I found it poor, good idea but didn't work as standard screen is too small and main part of vario is same as standard.

I have tried various DB screens without much success, I currently have a Puig DB with an Xscreen fitted, which is the best compromise I have found for me.

I also like the street fighter short screen, its great for sunny day blasts and short trips but wears you down at speed on motorways.

[size=78%]

[/size]

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2015, 01:34:09 pm »
For the suspension, fit 25mm jack up kit to rear and drop the yokes down the forks 10mm

Thanks for the tip!

Quote from: Tmation
welcome to world of trying different screens.

Well I'm in the lucky position of knowing which one does the job for me!  :)

I see there are some black extensions to the fairing. Are they part of the screen or from somewhere else.

Good question - I would think they're part of the screen, as the one I had from Webb's has the same bits on, if you look at the photo.

I'll probably sell the Puig screen, once the other one has arrived, so give me a shout anyone who wants it.

« Last Edit: 06 May 2015, 05:50:54 pm by Brixmis »

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2015, 06:57:01 pm »
I have found the screen, not good news. It was made by TCP in Holland. However they have gone out of business. It was a touring screen with hand protectors.

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Unknown extra bitz
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2015, 06:59:18 pm »
The only screen I have found that is as tall and wide is a rifle screen, or a National Cycle screen, both from USA.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2015, 07:08:08 pm by Ian-man »

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2015, 04:16:03 pm »
wemoto do a tall, flip-up screen for ca £41 - but they don't have a pic of it on a Fazer:

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_1000_fazer/04-05/picture/screen_-_flip_up_-_tall/

I just got a replacement L/H mirror from them for £27 incl delivery - came in 2 days and looks exactly like the original, unlike the rubbish lump of plastic that the previous owner had used...  :rolleyes

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_1000_fazer/04-05/picture/mirror_left_hand/

Unfortunately, my luggage is still 'lost in transit' and Suttons seem to have no idea wehen it will arrive at their wrehouse (or even if it will...). Which is a real bugger, as my wife won't get on without the box behind her.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2015, 04:19:03 pm by Brixmis »

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2015, 07:33:16 pm »
What make is that screen, I see there are some black extensions to the fairing. Are they part of the screen or from somewhere else. I have an mra vario screen at the moment but I get lots of wind noise.

As I just fitted it today, I can now answer that yes, they are part of it:

I went for a ride - it's a windy day - into the wind it was superb - I could ride all day long and still lift a pint afterwards!

Looks good on the bike, too:

and has a very nice shroud fitting over the clocks, making it look much cleaner and neater than standard...

so I'm a happy Teddy :)

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2015, 07:47:38 pm »
Where did you get that from then, I need one!

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2015, 01:19:43 pm »
You can only get them second hand these days - it's the original touring screen offered by Yamaha as an optional extra.

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2015, 04:51:40 pm »
Ok, it is the same screen that tcp in Holland made before they went bust, grrr.