Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:58 am

Author Topic: Help with the cage.  (Read 1988 times)

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Help with the cage.
« on: 22 January 2015, 04:40:09 pm »
Hi all.
So I have a skoda roomster, it has 4 wheels, 3 tyres on said wheels were changed last month, 4th was changed 2000 miles ago so dident want to change that one.
After changing the tyres the car started to pull to the left. I spoke to a garage who said it was the difference in tread. So I put the older tyre on the back.
Did this solve the problem? No....
Anyone got any advice? I have checked tyre pressure, torqued nuts to 100 nm. No idea what else to do. :(
I have it booked into the garage tomorrow afternoon, but do not really have the money...
thanks.

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the cage.
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2015, 04:52:59 pm »
You may have to swap wheels a few times before you get it right I've had this problem a few times in the past, is the tracking correct???

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2015, 05:22:48 pm »
If its pulling, it's gotta be a problem with the front wheels? Probably tracking, I would get the tyre fitter to check it.
Also make sure that the brake callipers are ok and that left hand one is not dragging?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2015, 05:30:32 pm »
This could be a red herring but theres an issue with the skoda fabia monte carlos on certain tyres pulling to the left from new and although the official stance from skoda is somewhat vague they started to provide a different brand of tyre....mine had the new type and it has never pulled.

All that being said id always change tyres in pairs because of the very reasons that you're experiencing, if a particular brand of tyres on a brand new car can cause a pull then having possibly different tyres on different corners could do the same......is the 4th tyre you replaced the same brand and model as the other 3?. Have you gone round and double checked that all 4 tyres are definately the exact same size?

Are you definately sure that the pull hadnt already started when the other 3 were replaced because you might have just gone with this dodgy brand that the car doesnt like or did you replace these for the same kind that were on it previously?

Also heres a quote from Briskoda:-

Ok Andy, This is a well know VW trait and affects Golf mk4's Fabias Polos and some others I guess. It is to do with the rear suspension set up being out of alignment. It has been much discussed on other VAG forums for years and a comprehensive fix is detailed somewhere but I can't remember where. Even a 4 wheel alignment does not always correct this as there is no adjustment at the rear. only the skill off the alignment geezer can help you out on this one by adjusting the front toe in to compensate for the rear problem.

And heres another quote:-

My Roomy pulled slightly left when the only difference between the front tyres was the speed rating (the two-digit number in front of the "W"). They were of the same make, model and size and with the same amount of wear. I swopped the wheels over and the car pulled slightly right. HTH
« Last Edit: 22 January 2015, 05:47:09 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2015, 05:49:39 pm »
the tyres are not the same brand exactly, but all 4 were done at the same garage using the value option (Can't afford nice tyres on the car). Tracking is being checked tomorrow.
They are all the same size though, don't have set rotation. If the issue persists brake calipers are next thing to look at.
Thanks.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2015, 05:52:15 pm »
Why did you change the one tyre?

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2015, 05:54:47 pm »
Holiday half way through year. woke up in the morning and the tyre had an egg in the side wall. Needed to leave that day so changed it. dident think about the others until i had the car serviced. :(

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2015, 06:02:27 pm »
Holiday half way through year. woke up in the morning and the tyre had an egg in the side wall. Needed to leave that day so changed it. dident think about the others until i had the car serviced. :(

Ah thats ok, just checking it wasnt abnormally wearing out coz no doubt someone else would askin t sooner or later.

Yep if you google it you'll see there is much about it on the net but to be really sure youd need to start off with 4 identical manufacturer approved tyres i think otherwise youll just get pal ed off if you try a skoda dealer. I dont know the background ie if youre under warranty etc but you can guess what they'll say....theres lota about how the rears cant be aligned on a 4 wheel aligner and stuff about toe adjustments and shims and all sorts of crap....it could get complex.......or it could be as easy as some new tyres, even 2 cheap ones at £40 each or whatever.

I replaced my 2 fronts on my Monte Carlo with dirt cheap tyres from my local geezer & it made absolutely no difference but i did replace them as a pair.

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2015, 06:09:56 pm »
I think my problem was getting 3 done in one go. Live and learn.
The car is 8 years old so warranty and what not is long gone.
I use the garage i bought the car from, Skoda wanted a silly amount of money just to look at the car so i just ignore them.
Looks like im in for a new tyre or tracking adjustment which should be ok. Might see if i can keep the oldish one if they change it?
Thanks.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2015, 06:46:45 pm »
Ok, got a few possibilities fella
1. Alignment is required - You just didn't notice before because your old tyres wore into the faulty alignment settings. Now with fresh new tyres on it the bad alignment is obvious
2. Are the new tyres directional - check.
3. Does the pull increase with speed - if it does then it could be down to the different friction properties of the slightly different tyres. Some of the cheaper tyres vary dramatically from batch to batch.

Which brand and model of tyres have you fitted?

Hopefully you are not going to the same garage who fitted the tyres - fresh pair of ideas/thoughts etc.

Also hope you are not going to Shitfit or any of the other main Stealers who employ 20yr old twats who think they feckin know it all............Good independents are normally worth a visit.

« Last Edit: 22 January 2015, 06:49:02 pm by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2015, 07:13:02 pm »
Ok, got a few possibilities fella
1. Alignment is required - You just didn't notice before because your old tyres wore into the faulty alignment settings. Now with fresh new tyres on it the bad alignment is obvious
2. Are the new tyres directional - check.
3. Does the pull increase with speed - if it does then it could be down to the different friction properties of the slightly different tyres. Some of the cheaper tyres vary dramatically from batch to batch.

Which brand and model of tyres have you fitted?

Hopefully you are not going to the same garage who fitted the tyres - fresh pair of ideas/thoughts etc.

Also hope you are not going to Shitfit or any of the other main Stealers who employ 20yr old twats who think they feckin know it all............Good independents are normally worth a visit.

I think you are right with some of those. the friction of the tyres could be a thought, will mention it at the garage.
I'm hoping the alignment is all that needs adjusting.
Its too cold/dark to go check tyres to night.
Its an independant garage who i got the car from in 2013.
Thanks for all the advice folks, Seeing as i cant do anything myself to fix it, it will be down to the garage.
Game? What will fix the problem?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2015, 08:56:22 am »
make sure the pressures are bang on the correct figures too.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Nightfury

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2015, 10:37:43 am »
If it was not pulling before the tyres were changed, but it is after, and the only thing that is different is the tyres, then it is the change in tyres!
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.