Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:45 pm

Author Topic: Birmingham-LandsEnd-Lowestoft in 16hrs?  (Read 4206 times)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
Birmingham-LandsEnd-Lowestoft in 16hrs?
« on: 18 December 2011, 09:49:44 pm »
hey guys, any tips on trying to organise a charity ride out next summer?

not sure if it has been done before but i am looking to go from wolverhapton (in the midlands) down to Lands End, Acroos to Lowestoft and back up to the start point in under 16hours....

its works out to around 900mile which could be possible in daylight during Summer solstice???

any tips pls?!?!
Ride It Like You've Stole It

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Birmingham-LandsEnd-Lowestoft in 16hrs?
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2011, 10:35:16 pm »
any tips pls?!?!

Buy a well padded saddle! :)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2011, 10:39:40 pm »
Luckily mine is very comfy already, not sure the pillion will agree after 16hours riding :s

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2011, 02:03:24 pm »
that means you have to average 57 MPH !! the A30 from Exeter to lands end bit can be busy depending what time of day you go also from lands end to lowestoft what route were you thinking of?? if A303 & summer soltice then stonehenge be a tad busy!

pity your doing it on tight time constraints as on A30 near Redruth is one of the best cafe's that does (IMHO) a breakfast that would set u up for the day!!!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2011, 02:17:49 pm »
According to Google maps it can be done but you wont have time to stop for much more than fuel in that time.

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2011, 02:56:43 pm »
planning, planning, and more planning.
pick a route, then consider where along that route will be the busiest location, then work your times so that you avoid the busiest location at either rush hour. even if that means starting at what seems a stupid time. consider the direction/location of the sun too.
doing most of it on Aroads, duals and Mways will be physically worse than going by the twisties cos you're just sitting there rather than moving around keeping loose.
take a longer petrol stop every second one otherwise they will all get consecutively longer, you'll stiffen up more and get mentally tired too. but don't take too long cos you'll need to keep your average speed up above 50mph sounds easy, but for every minute stopped you need one at 100mph to average 50 - that's where a satnav can come in handy to keep you ontrack with various ETA's.
consider intercoms to keep each other alert, guide thru traffic etc.
you need to practice a bit and try "Combat Touring" ie ruthless filtering at lights, junctions and roundabouts, being quick of the mark at each and quite willing to (safely) mug other vehilces - the lead bike's intercom helps here if you use clear signals.

LE & Lowestoft - west and east compass points? and why 16 hours?

see www.roundthebend.org.uk

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2011, 03:08:18 pm »
forgot to ask what charity you doing it for?

best of luck, keep us all posted and you never know you may get a few of us to help be outriders or clear a path through the traffic or just generally cheer you on n keep you company along the way!!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2011, 05:12:10 pm »
LE & Lowestoft - west and east compass points? and why 16 hours?

Just had a though. Didnt that knob Clarkson do the Lands End to Lowestoft thing last year in a Jag on the solstice?

He did it from Sunset in LE to get to Lowestoft for Sunrise. A lot less than 16 hours but overnight on the shortest night of the year.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2011, 06:25:49 pm »
I would have thought trying to ride for 16+ hours virtually nonstop is possibly going to be dangerous.

martynR

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2011, 07:57:08 pm »
I would have thought trying to ride for 16+ hours virtually nonstop is possibly going to be dangerous.

Absolutely true. I did 2400miles in 5 days, the longest one was around 1100km(~680miles) Boulogne sur mer-Viaduc De Millau-Nimes, set off at about 9am and reached the destination at around 10pm. And to make 900miles in one go-interesting.

Btw I am from Smethwick, West Mids ;)

Driving on your own probably not bad, but with a group I don't think it is achievable.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2011, 09:40:39 pm »
Tonie, what's the furthest you've ridden the Fazer in one go so far?
I find the saddle pretty uncomfortable after 200 miles, the most I've ridden in one day is about 450 miles and that felt like a feat of endurance. Even with a gel saddle it'll be an ordeal.
Locksmith is right, you're going to struggle to stay focussed for that length of time. Eight hours in you're going to be wondering if the shooting pains in your legs are deep vein thrombosis, worried about being 120 miles behind schedule and some dozy twonk in a BMW X5 is going to find that the perfect moment to pull a smidsy on you.
I wouldn't attempt it, biking should be fun not torture. :)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 December 2011, 06:18:09 pm »
hey all thanks for the input so far, yes Clarkson did the Lowestoft to LE in 8hrs something ....
it was this i wanted to attempt but thought that daylight would be safer, the only problem is... the equivelant would be during the winter solstice, meaning bad weather?!
the most ive done is 200miles but that was getting lost for 4 hours while camping with full camp gear and the missus on the back with no sat nav!

i want a challenge on the bike and not one that is going to be easy, its going to go to mulitple charities but whatever i raise i can get my work to match and give it to cancer reaserch (which is their charity of choice till april)

i am definately doing L.E to Lowestoft next year also John o'Groats - L.E. with a group.

i think at most there will be 3 bikes

hmmmm.....