Date: 28-04-24  Time: 16:34 pm

Author Topic: Bad weather and flooding  (Read 1507 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Bad weather and flooding
« on: 30 December 2013, 01:16:35 pm »
Having seen a bit of flooding etc over the past few days I cant help but think it would not have been anywhere near as bad if the councils did 2 things.

1. Maintain the roads properly. There is too much standing water on the roads because the council do a shoddy job at repairing a resurfacing meaning it doesn't drain properly.
2. Clean the drains once in a while. Most of the flooding was because the water couldn't get down the drains nit just the volume of it. OK I know that some was due to rivers bursting their banks etc but a good proportion of it round Sussex was nowhere near a river.

While we are on the topic, the number of people complaining that the electricity companies were slow to fix the supplies. Don't they realise when this has happened before they called in engineers from Ireland and France to help but both those countries got stuffed by the storms too so were a bit too busy to send any spare engineers over.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Bad weather and flooding
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2013, 01:26:29 pm »
Not as popular, but they need to uphold building regulations too. Rain falling on ground will soak in and flow into the rivers over time. Rain falling on concrete will just run down into the river all at once. People adding an extra driveway, where there used to be lawn, add to this phenomenon as do new car parks etc.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2013, 03:08:31 pm »
Having seen a bit of flooding etc over the past few days I cant help but think it would not have been anywhere near as bad if the councils did 2 things.

1. Maintain the roads properly. There is too much standing water on the roads because the council do a shoddy job at repairing a resurfacing meaning it doesn't drain properly.
2. Clean the drains once in a while. Most of the flooding was because the water couldn't get down the drains nit just the volume of it. OK I know that some was due to rivers bursting their banks etc but a good proportion of it round Sussex was nowhere near a river.

While we are on the topic, the number of people complaining that the electricity companies were slow to fix the supplies. Don't they realise when this has happened before they called in engineers from Ireland and France to help but both those countries got stuffed by the storms too so were a bit too busy to send any spare engineers over.

I've often wondered if points 1 & 2 are interlinked these days.

Road repairs on the whole now seem to consist of spraying bitumen onto the road surface and then dumping loads of gravel onto it in the hope some sticks. However, all the excess gravel ends up in the gutters and from there it makes it's way into the drains. Probably helping to clog them up?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2013, 05:40:10 pm »

I'd add STOP building houses on foccing FLOOD PLAINS!

The clue is in the name... :wall

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2013, 05:55:03 pm »
I work in the sewage industry and for some of my colleagues this weather is like printing money, if you like Red Bull. We are exempt from Tachograph rules during emergencies. The biggest problem is woman's sanitary product tripping out the pumps. Our tankers suck out the wells but the incoming product totally overwhelm them. Some pumping stations can have a tanker or 4 on them for many months and still not cope

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2013, 09:20:29 am »
OH !!! Urrrrrhhhhhhh yuk
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2013, 11:55:23 am »
OH !!! Urrrrrhhhhhhh yuk

Exactly. They really are the 4th emergency service.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.